SeemsLegit
Connoisseur

English is more useful in life than math.

SeemsLegit

Pro

I think English as a subject in school is more useful in life than math. By English, I mean reading and literacy skills, writing prose, writing poetry, grammatical concepts, classical literature study, and general literacy. By math, I mean basic numbers computation, algebra, geometry, and calculus. "Life" refers to the period of time spent after your education is complete.

Abuse, ranting/tirades, and anything deemed to be disparaging or disrespectful will result in automatic forfeiture.
Connoisseur

Con

State your case.
SeemsLegit

Pro

Good day, Connoisseur.

Where would we be without the English language? In America, the English language is citizens' primary form of communication. It gets things done. Say you are on the brink of death from malnourishment. Because we have the English language, you can go to the grocery store and tell an employee working there, "I want to buy [insert food of choice here]."

You know that you want something to eat, but you need to know how much it costs in order to pay for it. The cashier scans the item and tells you, "that's going to be one dollar." Yes, there is a number in that sentence, and that's math, but if you didn't understand the word "dollar", you wouldn't understand that they wanted one dollar bill instead of one penny or one quarter. Plus, you couldn't understand the sentence the cashier spoke if you didn't comprehend English.

In my high school English class, no one ever asks the teacher, "when are we going to use this in life?" Almost everyone can see when and how knowledge of the English language is valuable to life after school. But it's different with math. In math class, the question "when are we going to use this in life?" comes up on almost a daily basis. That's because math isn't used in many aspects of life. For example, nobody express emotions with numbers. No one says, "I'm feeling the square root of x today."

Here's another example. You can ask someone handing out $100 bills, "may I have some money please?" Because of the wonders of the English language, they'll know you want money, and presumably will give you some. But if you walk up to them with "45 x 2 = 90" written on a napkin (remember, no spoken communication) and show them that equation, then they'll only know that you want them to understand that 45 x 2 = 90. What would you rather have: at least $100, or a napkin with the product of 45 and 2 written on it?

Math might be the universal language, but English as a language gets more done for the people who use it. Thanks.
Connoisseur

Con

Connoisseur forfeited this round.
SeemsLegit

Pro

This is the end round, where I suppose it is customary for those who are debating to make conclusion statement. Mine is this: English is more useful than math. Unfortunately for my opponent, he has not provided any evidence to refute this statement, in contrast with the ample amount of evidence that I have provided. This truly is not much of a debate. Voters, I implore you to make the right decision, and vote Pro.
Connoisseur

Con

Connoisseur forfeited this round.
Posted by AwesomeStanely 3 years ago
AwesomeStanely
English (as in the study of communication through analyzing and composing texts) is more important than maths.
Sure, maths has given and enables us to do so much but communication and understanding the way people can exchange ideas through the written and spoken word is a fundamental function and study, without which mathematics would not exist.
Posted by matthewtan 3 years ago
matthewtan
... This is complete B.S. Math is WAY better than English! Why?

- you need Math in every day life to:

-have the computer you are typing on
- games are created using code from JAVA or C++ which has coding and math
- word and others have GUI interfaces which require programming and math
-gambling machines have math
-vending machines have math
-chips are made using chemistry and math
-other computer parts are made using math and science
-you could write on rocks and trees if you wanted, word and other programs make it easier

I have many other things to say.... but oh well
Posted by Lamza61 4 years ago
Lamza61
I just want to say that reading keeps you alive, but math makes you rich. Have you all seen the "trend", these days? It seems as though math is taking the lead in keeping a roof over your head and food in your belly.
Posted by SeemsLegit 4 years ago
SeemsLegit
This is my first debate. Enough said.
Posted by dylancatlow 4 years ago
dylancatlow
Pro has the BOP, so con needs to only provide an example of math being more useful than English in someone's life.
Posted by dylancatlow 4 years ago
dylancatlow
Pro automatically loses because he didn't define who it would be more useful for. For some, math is obviously more useful because they are an engineer for a living, and for others, English is more useful. Also, people who don't live in the United States are much more likely to be in a situation where math is more important than English.