Morgy
thenorwegian

English should be Sweden's second official language

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

Morgy

Pro

Do you speak English? — Of course, I'm Swedish! (4)

Sweden has officially ranked #1 in the English Proficiency Index (1) (EF EPI),
so why not recognize this world auxiliary language as Sweden's second national language?

Here's why it would be a major benefit:
  • Enhanced possibility to communicate with individuals from around the globe (2)
  • Better chances for English-speaking people finding jobs in Sweden
  • Making Sweden more foreigner-friendly
  • Improving connections of international relations
  • A greater opportunity for foreigners to learn and study the English language

Where's the catch?

Well, in this case you cannot really mention a "catch", as the Swedish language will not trend down or be affected in any way. Here's why:

For instance, Gaelic, Irish and Welsh will disappear. Philippines and Nigeria will be 100% natively English-speaking (as well as 50% of India) long before a sizable minority of Sweden switches to English. Swedish is the primary language in Sweden, and that's how it should stay. The Swedish language is already widely used in Sweden, so chances are that the Swedish language will not fade so easily, as it is officially taught in schools and constantly seen in public. Recognizing English as Sweden's second national language will most likely not make any notable differences. It may only give English-speaking people a larger job opportunity and improve international relations with Sweden, as well as give more English-based education for children in order for them to have a larger communication possibility.

Immigrants from English-speaking countries who do not speak the language are generally at a serious economic disadvantage. It's much more difficult to get and hold a job or find a place to live. If a vast majority (90%) of Sweden's population speaks satisfying to outstanding English, then why make it hard for English-speakers to find a job or live in Sweden? (3)

So, what do you think?

Should English be recognized as Sweden's second national language? State your own personal opinion and don't forget vote — every vote can make a change!

Additional links:

(1) http://www.ef.co.uk...
(2) http://www.thelocal.se...
(3) http://www.thelocal.se...
(3) http://en.wikipedia.org...

(4) http://en.wikipedia.org...
thenorwegian

Con

Good evening.

First I want to say that I live in your neighbor country, Norway.

Your conclusion about this matter is based on several facts which I find irrelevant. First of all, I would like to express my opinion after skim reading over your arguments. The topic name states: "English should be Sweden's second official language." Don't you think your arguments includes all languages in the world? This would be impossible to achieve, as it is no chance every single country in the world wants to be non independent; a country's independence depends on if the country has its own language.

I see no reason to currently argue against you, as your arguments doesn't explain why exactly "SWEDEN" should have English as its official language. Your arguments states that every country in the world should have English as its official language. I mean that the latter sentence is impossible to achieve in every way.
Morgy

Pro

I am specifically referring to Sweden, because that country ranked NUMBER 1 in World English Proficiency. It says it on the very top. 90% of Swedes speak English and that's quite unique. No other country is as good in English as Sweden (excluding UK, US, Australia")
TV is in English, even some SCHOOLS educate in English. And you don't understand. Setting a SECOND official language does NOT affect the Swedish language. In fact, Swedish would still be the primary language. I don't believe it has anything to do with independence.
thenorwegian

Con

thenorwegian forfeited this round.
Morgy

Pro

Morgy forfeited this round.
thenorwegian

Con

thenorwegian forfeited this round.
Morgy

Pro

Morgy forfeited this round.
thenorwegian

Con

thenorwegian forfeited this round.
Morgy

Pro

Morgy forfeited this round.
thenorwegian

Con

thenorwegian forfeited this round.
Posted by lightingbolt50 3 years ago
lightingbolt50
Wow, this is a really well written debate. It's a shame most people don't have an opinion on this and don't even know about it, so you'll have a hard time finding an opponent.
Posted by WilliamsP 3 years ago
WilliamsP
This is a rather interesting topic to debate. I, unfortunately, am undecided on this issue.