Muddy-Rivers
Shifter

English should be the official language of the United States

Muddy-Rivers

Pro

Quick, concise, lets go, but with respect of course.

Simple rules: Open with your opinion, belief and argument on the topic. Rounds 2-3 refute opponents arguments with factual data and evidence. Round 4, close your argument and thank your opponent.

A topic of debate that often arises in circles of politically minded people, especially in circles with international persons involved, should the US make English it's official language? I say yes. It is beyond the most used language in the country, it is also highly recognized internationally, and without it being an official language we bog down our legislative system as well as our education system with means of accommodation for non-English speakers. If you LIVE in this country, if you're a citizen of this country, learn to speak like you're in this country. If you visit, that's different. If you're not totally fluent that's fine. But taxpayers money should not be going into accommodating those that come here and expect this country to change for them, and a job-seeking individual should not be turned down because the only qualification they don't meet is being bilingual because they are located in a city that is predominantly non-English speaking. This is America, the whole country is America, and we should be free to move and live and work where we want without being shunned out of parts of our own country due to inability to communicate with those that immigrated in. I'm not trying to sound anti-immigrant, but if you go to another country and try to move in, you gotta know the language there.

So that is my opinion and belief on this topic. Once I receive an opponent and hear their stance I will incorporate factual evidence to prove my position. Good luck to my future opponent.
Shifter

Con

I'll take this one, and I wish my opponent luck. Anyways, to commence, as is commonly stated America is well known for its' diversity. To make an official language would be saying that while we accept everyone, we think that some are better. We are already seen as xenophobic to a host of nations (and to some extent, they are right), this would not only alienate us more, but could also make us seem untolerant. Not only that, but it really would only be a title, and would have no real purpose.
Muddy-Rivers

Pro

Muddy-Rivers forfeited this round.
Shifter

Con

Shifter forfeited this round.
Muddy-Rivers

Pro

Muddy-Rivers forfeited this round.
Shifter

Con

Well to start, English is one of the hardest languages to learn. To simply expect immigrants moving here to have a mastery of such a difficult language is unreasonable. While they should be helped to learn English, and given simpler jobs that will allow them to learn first hand, as it can't be denied that they need learn it. However, we shouldn't limit ourselves the way we would by making an official language. America should pride itself on its diversity, and should show anyone and everyone is welcome.
Muddy-Rivers

Pro

Muddy-Rivers forfeited this round.
Shifter

Con

Shifter forfeited this round.
Posted by Shifter 3 years ago
Shifter
This was sad.......
Posted by Shifter 4 years ago
Shifter
I thought you were responding...
Posted by Muddy-Rivers 4 years ago
Muddy-Rivers
My apologies on no response. I got overwhelmed with a trade show for work due to some major complications involving a few 12 hour days. I will respond in my next round
Posted by wrichcirw 4 years ago
wrichcirw
I wish CON a LOT of luck. If the skill levels of PRO and CON are similar, then I predict PRO will win by a landslide.
Posted by bergeneric63 4 years ago
bergeneric63
Wait never mind someone excepted haha
Posted by bergeneric63 4 years ago
bergeneric63
I want to debate you but I can only come up with a small argument as of now. Give me a day and if no-one excepts I will debate you.
Posted by brian_eggleston 4 years ago
brian_eggleston
A few years ago I drove to Miami (I had never been there before) and I stopped to get fuel in one of the suburbs on the way in: I was amazed that the cashier didn't speak a word of English - I had to speak Spanish to be understood.

Also, as a foreigner having watched Miami Vice on TV as a kid I was amazed at the amount of poverty in the city - just by the international airport there were large favelas of shanty houses and homemade shacks - it was like driving through the outskirts of Rio de Janeiro..that was a while ago though, maybe they've gone now.