laraosorio
Danielle

English spoken by today's youth

Danielle

laraosorio

Con

Last week, on my way home from an old friend"s house, I expected to sit in peace in the bus and relax through the forty minutes ride home. Unfortunately, my quiet time was suddenly interrupted when three adolescents entered the bus and started speaking in an almost unrecognizable way to each other. I could not help but wonder how English became such a strange language to me. English, the language I have used to communicate with thousands and thousands of people throughout my life, the language I was raised with by my family and my surroundings, and will eventually die with. It was suddenly modified and assassinated in the most cruel way possible.
English has been suffering some sort of violent metamorphosis, since I can record. That is nothing but inadmissible. Our language should prevail and reflect back to our roots. It is something we, as native English speakers, should look back at and be proud of.
I am a retired English teacher and back in my days as a teacher, I would read extracts from the English history"s most brilliant masterpieces and make my students dive into the words and surrender to its beauty. I would clearly dislike repeating this kind of teaching style if I was forced to read a book written by today"s youth.
Therefore, I think that schools should focus on teaching the upcoming generations the right way of speaking English.
Danielle

Pro

It's clear the resolution is not to be taken literally, since the resolution does not actually assert a positive or negative statement. Instead my opponent's Round 1 articulates his position in this debate: he doesn't support the variation of English spoken by today's youth. He claims that the English language has been bastardized in a way that is almost unrecognizable, and as proud English speakers, we should emphasize the "right" way of speaking English.

However language, like all aspects of culture, evolves. "Language is always changing, evolving, and adapting to the needs of its users. This isn't a bad thing; if English hadn't changed since, say, 1950, we wouldn't have words to refer to modems, fax machines, or cable TV. As long as the needs of language users continue to change, so will the language" [1].

In addition to the creation of new words, the evolution of "slang" words and phrases has a useful function in society. Through our cultural expression in music, writing and the spoken word, different cultures communicate and express themselves through language that evolves with our exposure and experience to new people, places and things that incorporate different words and phrases as descriptors.

Consider the fact that the English we use now is far different from the English people used in Shakespeare's day, presumably in the very English classes my opponent has taught.

"O, spirit of love, how quick and fresh art thou!"
Twelfth N, Act i, Sc.1 - Shakespeare

Our language is the evolution of slang that reflects our culture and times. Indeed English has evolved many times since its inception. There is Old English or Anglo-Saxon (circa 450-1066 CE), Middle English (circa 1066-1450 AD) and Modern English from about the time of Shakespeare [2] which doesn't even include *actual* modern English. I assume my opponent doesn't speak or prefer Old English; that is not the type of English he has written in. Therefore Con can presumably understand the necessity and utility of a language's evolution.

[1] http://www.linguisticsociety.org...
[2] https://web.cn.edu...
laraosorio

Con

laraosorio forfeited this round.
Danielle

Pro

Con has said, "I would clearly dislike repeating this kind of teaching style if I was forced to read a book written by today's youth.
Therefore, I think that schools should focus on teaching the upcoming generations the right way of speaking English."

My opponent's entire argument is rooted in his preference. His preference does not negate any my contentions.
laraosorio

Con

laraosorio forfeited this round.
Danielle

Pro

Unfortunately my opponent has forfeited this debate.

Please extend my arguments and vote Pro. Thanks.
Posted by Kyle_the_Heretic 1 year ago
Kyle_the_Heretic
Way to go Dani. Your argument was a bit too effective. You chased her(? lara) away. She has deactivated her account. But then, I suppose you can boast a "knock out" in the first round.
Posted by Corm_onthe_Cob 1 year ago
Corm_onthe_Cob
Suh dude.
Vote Placed by Emmarie 1 year ago
Emmarie
laraosorioDanielleTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD - The reason for me awarding conduct to Pro is obvious, Con ff'd rounds 2 and 3. Pro addresses and refutes con's position that the way that English has evolved thru the use of slang is negative by pointing to the fact that English has evolved since the Shakespearean days (and probably was covered in classes taught by con) more so than modern English has evolved thru slang, so argument points to pro. She also sites sources to show how English has evolved thru time since its inception, and con offers no sources at all to back his claim that slang's influence on English is detrimental to it's functionality, so I gave her sources points for that.