blond_guy
artC

Environmental Protection (con) + Police Profiling (pro)

blond_guy

Pro

I know it's unusual to debate on 2 different things in one debate, but I noticed those are the only things that we disagree on so I'd like to know why.

Environmental Protection:

I am for Environmental Protection in general, however, the way debate.org defines it is what I have a problem with.
<>
Emphasis on "AHEAD OF ECONOMIC POLICIES"
The economy largely represents the well being of the people. I believe the well being of the people is more important than the well being of trees, plants, atmosphere... Although these also affect the well being of the people, a stable economy would help environmental protection while environmental protection brings down the economy.

Police Profiling:

It's a touchy issue because some people claim police profiling is "racist". However, if the police can say "A man was more likely to have choked this other man because the average woman wouldn't be strong enough to do it, then why can't the police also say "A black man was more likely to have shot this guy because statistics show that it's usually black men that shoot other people for money"? What's the difference?
artC

Con

I'm happy do debate you on these topics.

"I am for Environmental Protection in general, however, the way debate.org defines it is what I have a problem with.
<>
The economy largely represents the well being of the people. I believe the well being of the people is more important than the well being of trees, plants, atmosphere... Although these also affect the well being of the people, a stable economy would help environmental protection while environmental protection brings down the economy."

I think that the environment is more important than almost anything else at this point. I am absolutely disgusted by what is happening with our earth. I look at it this way, if we don't have a liveable earth tomorrow then the economy wont matter to anyone.

Police Profiling:

"It's a touchy issue because some people claim police profiling is "racist". However, if the police can say "A man was more likely to have choked this other man because the average woman wouldn't be strong enough to do it, then why can't the police also say "A black man was more likely to have shot this guy because statistics show that it's usually black men that shoot other people for money"? What's the difference?"

I'm against police profiling because I don't think law enforcement should be given that kind of power. It is constantly misused.
blond_guy

Pro

Thank you for this debate, I'm also very happy to debate you because you have the lowest disagreement ratio to me I've ever seen! :)

1) <>

I also am disgusted by what's happening with the earth and I understand your philosophy. However, our earth will be "liveable" for a long time. If we focus on our economy and fix the 9 trillion dollar debt, then we can take care of our environment believe in the future. Something that environmentalists are talking about now is Global Warming and how it will swallow the world bit by bit, however, money won't help Global Warming as much as civil duty. Furthermore, a good percentage of the country disapproves of the Global Warming theory, but who would disapprove of lots of money?

2) <>

Short and sweet lol. But I still disagree. Law enforcement almost already HAS that kind of power because there's police profiling all the time. Who do you point at in a line-up, a short white woman or a tall black guy? Now again, you many people might call it racism, but I call it statistics.

<< It is constantly misused.>>

A) Present tense?
B) How so? Elaborate. I think that anyone cop that misuses the authorization of police profiling will be using police profiling whether he's authorized to do it or not.
artC

Con

Yeah, the disagreement ratio is pretty low. I feel like my ratio with almost everyone is higher just because of the vegetarianism issue alone.

"I also am disgusted by what's happening with the earth and I understand your philosophy. However, our earth will be "liveable" for a long time."

Most theories give us about one hundred or so years of comfortable living.

"If we focus on our economy and fix the 9 trillion dollar debt, then we can take care of our environment believe in the future."

Money does not fix ecosystems. The state of mind of the general population does.

"Something that environmentalists are talking about now is Global Warming and how it will swallow the world bit by bit, however, money won't help Global Warming as much as civil duty."

Exactly, so how will fixing our huge dept hlp the environment? I count civic service in environmental protection. Environmental protection would include educating people and a call to action for the public.

"Furthermore, a good percentage of the country disapproves of the Global Warming theory, but who would disapprove of lots of money?"

Ha, that was a good one. Funny. At least I hope you were being funny. What the population thinks doesn't change the truth of the matter. Four years ago most of the country believed that George Bush would make a good president. 43% of this country also believes the earth has been around for roughly 6,000 years. There is strong evidence to support we are causing the warming of the earth, the exponential increase in temperature over the past couple of years especially. I contend there are theories with evidence to disprove this theory. It is an important enough issue to take action anyway though.

About our economy and money, the bottom line is, the world and all the countries of the world and all the people of the world are more important when compared with JUST this country and JUST these people.
*********************

"Law enforcement almost already HAS that kind of power because there's police profiling all the time. Who do you point at in a line-up, a short white woman or a tall black guy? Now again, you many people might call it racism, but I call it statistics."

Yeah, they profile all the time, and always will. It's human nature. I choose to think as every individual as just that, an individual, not part of a race or group.

"A) Present tense?
B) How so? Elaborate. I think that anyone cop that misuses the authorization of police profiling will be using police profiling whether he's authorized to do it or not."

A. Yes, present tense because it is already being done.
B. Go to any black neighborhood and ask random people how many times they've been arrested, searched, pulled over, or mistreated by police but never committed a crime. You'll be amazed. I refuse to encourage that type of behavior by people wh are supposed to be protecting us, not making life more dificult because of the color of your skin or where you live or what you do(occupation).

I belive that the rights of every individual are more important than some presumed sense of safety.

Looking forward to your response.
blond_guy

Pro

<>

I agree, but this is a democracy, and what the majority says goes. People against the global warming theory should have a voice too.

<>

I know money doesn't fix Global Warming, but that's exactly why we should focus on the economy. The government should focus on the economy because they can do more for the economy than they can for the environment.

*********************************************************************************

<>

Even if it helps lower crime to profile the individual?

<>

I go to school every day in Brooklyn, I know that. But if those black people weren't search, white people would. You'd rather harass 1,000 white people to catch 2 criminals than to harass 1,000 black people to catch 10. The police runs the biggest gang in the city, but rules like police profiling allow criminals and gangsters to get away with a lot of stuff. Police profiling isn't just about race, it's about seeing a guy on welfare with a $5,000 chain and riding in an SUV making stops on random street corners to meet other guys full of jewelry. Some guys are just obvious drug dealers and 90% of them just happen to be black.

Thanks for the debate, I'll be looking forward to another debate with you, I liked this one. Maybe we can discuss Obama vs. Hillary.
artC

Con

"I agree, but this is a democracy, and what the majority says goes. People against the global warming theory should have a voice too."

Okay, but I think that is completely wrong and backwards. Doesn't that strike you as odd? That if the majority believes something completely false it becomes true? Yes, everyone should have a voice, even people who don't believe in the global warming theory.

"I know money doesn't fix Global Warming, but that's exactly why we should focus on the economy. The government should focus on the economy because they can do more for the economy than they can for the environment."

So because it's easier to do A, B should be ignored or take second place even though it is more important? Just because something is easier doesn't mean it's priority.

"Even if it helps lower crime to profile the individual?"

YES. Absolutely. It is always more important for the government to protect the rights of the people that have not been convicted of crime than to protect us.

"I go to school every day in Brooklyn, I know that. But if those black people weren't search, white people would. You'd rather harass 1,000 white people to catch 2 criminals than to harass 1,000 black people to catch 10."

I'd rather not harass anyone, to be honest.

The means to an end must always be moral and right, before the end is ever either. If you have to discriminate to solve crime than you should be spending your time finding a better way to solve crime.

"Police profiling isn't just about race, it's about seeing a guy on welfare with a $5,000 chain and riding in an SUV making stops on random street corners to meet other guys full of jewellery. Some guys are just obvious drug dealers and 90% of them just happen to be black."

That's not profiling, that's evidence. It's not enough that an individual is black and wearing jewellery and hanging out with their friends. If you can provide evidence for their lack of taxable income, then arrest him for goodness sakes, otherwise, leave him alone.

I enjoyed our debate as well. Look forward to hearing from you about another debate.
Posted by yuiru 4 years ago
yuiru
I hate artC's use of italics!
Posted by bignaked 8 years ago
bignaked
shwayze: that comment was funny

you shouldn't have posted it here, because it is rude, regardless of how funny it was

lol...al gore kool-aid...guffaw...rofl...
Posted by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
I'll have to agree with ArtC and JackBouerPower
Posted by artC 9 years ago
artC
I know it's hard to believe, schwayze, but global warming is an idea distinguishable from Al Gore. It existed before An Inconvenient Truth came out and it's a cause I've been serious about before I ever knew Al Gore was an environmental activist.

I'd like to just once, log on to debate.org and see a comment from you that doesn't scream stereotype.
Posted by JackBauerPower 9 years ago
JackBauerPower
You are stupid....that is all.
Posted by shwayze 9 years ago
shwayze
artC is another global warming alarmist drinking Al Gore Kool-Aid.
Vote Placed by artC 8 years ago
artC
blond_guyartCTied
Vote Placed by Im_always_right 8 years ago
Im_always_right
blond_guyartCTied
Vote Placed by Danielle 9 years ago
Danielle
blond_guyartCTied
Vote Placed by FalseReality 9 years ago
FalseReality
blond_guyartCTied
Vote Placed by out_n_proud_HINDU 9 years ago
out_n_proud_HINDU
blond_guyartCTied
Vote Placed by JackBauerPower 9 years ago
JackBauerPower
blond_guyartCTied
Vote Placed by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
blond_guyartCTied