johnathonwill65
Teleportation

Environmental but open

johnathonwill65

Pro

Hello, I'm new and looking for a debate. My opponent gets to choose an issue on the environment that generally grabs the spotlight. You choose the topic and we shall debate. En Garde!
Teleportation

Con

To start my speech off, I'd like to restate our debate topic: Trees should be cut down. I am opposing this motion. And so, without further ado, I present my argument:

Do you know what happens when trees are cut down? They release carbon dioxide. So anyways, let me tell you something about global warming. We all know what global warming is, right? Then you must know that it is gradually heating up the Earth. Why it does it is not important, but HOW it does is. Global warming is caused by greenhouse gases. The more greenhouse gases there are in the air, the more it contributes to global warming. And if the earth continues to melt, the polar ice caps will melt, causing a flood of monstrous proportions to form. More bad things will continue to follow.

I rest my case with this short argument because I'm too lazy to write up a huge one again.
johnathonwill65

Pro

During the process of photosynthesis trees extract carbon dioxide from the air. They convert the carbon dioxide into useable energy in the form of glucose. Thus removing carbon dioxide from the air, furthermore, the process of photosynthesis has a byproduct of oxygen. Now we remove carbon dioxide from the air and input oxygen at the dame time. Needless to say the majority of animals on this earth use aerobic respiration (they need oxygen) to survive. Due to trees absorbing carbon dioxide they reverse the effects of global climate change and act as huge carbon sinks. These trees then sequester carbon in these huge "carbon sinks." It is true that more carbon dioxide and other gasses there are in the atmosphere the more global climate change will occur. However, cutting down trees produces carbon dioxide rather than getting rid of it.
Teleportation

Con

LOL

You do realize that you are basically saying that trees shouldn't be cut down, right? Since you yourself said that global warming is caused by greenhouse gases and carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas.

Trees take in carbon dioxide and water, and create glucose and oxygen. Trees release carbon dioxide when they are cut down. If they are cut down, it will add more to the painful state the world is already in. Meaning worse global warming for everyone.
johnathonwill65

Pro

wow, so I am "PRO" as in I was supposed to be "for" the environmental topic and you would be against it. I didn't catch when you said "To start my speech off, I'd like to restate our debate topic: Trees should be cut down. I am opposing this motion." My entire understanding of this debate was that I would be standing for the environment and someone else would be against me-___-
Suffice it to say that this debate is a fail and I will forfeit you the victory because I was unclear in what I wanted AND I didn't catch it when you restated the topic. Blondie's mistake apparently... sorry for the waste of time-__-
Teleportation

Con

Teleportation forfeited this round.
Posted by johnathonwill65 3 years ago
johnathonwill65
well it depends if you want to use the first round to debate I guess or if you would like to use it for pleasantries. I figured since most of them are being done on the comments I thought we could proceed. I don't actually know the formalities of debating so you may need to teach me instead of the other way around.
Posted by Teleportation 3 years ago
Teleportation
I thought that I had to say something like 'I accept'. :P

I actually do know the formalities and structure of debates, mind you.
Posted by johnathonwill65 3 years ago
johnathonwill65
For round one you should establish a basic viewpoint and stance for the issues. Perhaps give me some tough questions to have to rebuttal. Be crafty, maybe you can set a trap for the other rounds?? But most importantly I would simply establish your point of view and present some evidence that discredits my point of view which will obviously be "trees shouldn't be cut down"
Posted by Teleportation 3 years ago
Teleportation
Here's a topic.

-Trees should be cut down.

And I am your contender. Also, what do I do for round 1?