LeonTheBrave
eXclusua

Equal Marriage should be federally handled as a civil right?

LeonTheBrave

Pro

Plain and simple. First round is for acceptance only.

Do not invoke personal ramifications or morals, as we all know personal values are not justification for any legislation.
eXclusua

Con

I accept the challenge, best of luck to you.

As per your initial request, I will not incite the debate and will abide by the conditions you have already conveyed in your previous comment; more specific conditions and parameters can be suggested and agreed upon, by both parties, if need be. I would like to point out that I am actually all for equal rights marriage, and I am simply engaging you in this debate as a purely academic exercise.

As Edmond Dantes put it, "Do your worst, and I shall do mine!"
LeonTheBrave

Pro

Huzzah! Playing Devil's advocate I see, well good luck to you!

The first thing I would like to cite in this, is that civil rights are always handled at the federal level of government to allow for the minority to be protected from the majority. Now, the first argument against this I'm sure will be that we cannot look at equal marriage as a civil right. However, we must recognize that it has been proved time and time again that a person cannot choose their sexuality, it is deemed upon them just as much as the color of their skin.

The next point concerning the fact that this is a civil right, is that with marriage, comes over 3000 federal benefits to the couple that they do not receive in a civil union. Therefore, marriage is no longer a religious institution but a government one, and the government is responsible for treating the citizens equally without discrimination. Therefore, not allowing two consensual adults engage in this contract and institution is discrimination by all means of the word.

Next, I would like to preemptively discredit the most often proposed argument in opposition to equal marriage rights. The first and by far most ridiculous one, is that it will lead to bestiality being legalized. The U.S. constitution begins with "We the people..." Therefore, there is no way that an animal can claim or possess that same right as a human. Also, we must realize that animals of course cannot consent to marriage no matter how convinced someone is that the animal would agree to it.

Another repulsive argument is that same sex marriage goes against the culture and tradition of America. Well, considering that the United States government is not put into place to legislate culture or tradition, even if the premise were true, the United States government would have no business in defining marriage in such a manner to appeal to tradition.

Also, due to the fact that one of our self evident rights is the pursuit of happiness, and there are no other person's rights being denied in consensual same sex marriage, it is in therefore denying a self evident right to those who wish to engage in such an institution.

Now, let's also look at the evolving perception of homosexuality in America. First, homosexuality was considered to be a mental disorder. Then realizing, that it does not meet a requirement of disordered behavior (possible danger to self or others) Homosexuality was taken off the Diagnostics and statistics manual of psychology.

Next, it evolved into being a hate crime to assault or violate the rights of a homosexual person based on their sexuality. Homosexuals have now been identified as an entire group of people who were fighting for their rights to be recognized just like everyone else.

The time is coming for America to fully recognize the rights of homosexuals in the Untied States, and for the federal government to recognize that two consenting adults, no matter the gender, should be allowed to engage in the institution of marriage.
eXclusua

Con

eXclusua forfeited this round.
LeonTheBrave

Pro

I'll just give the benefit of the doubt and say he/she probably forgot, that happened to me once.
eXclusua

Con

eXclusua forfeited this round.
LeonTheBrave

Pro

LeonTheBrave forfeited this round.
eXclusua

Con

eXclusua forfeited this round.
Posted by eXclusua 4 years ago
eXclusua
Damn! sorry i forgot to check the site, ill be sure to post next round