Timeworn
TheSilentQ

Equality in the Olympic Games.

Started: 11/5/2013 Category: Sports

Timeworn

Con

this new generation females are fighting for equality with men, except not in all area, just area that benefit them. for example they want same wage as men, same job as men, same respect and reputatoin as men, and many more others.

But in the olympic they are not complaining about the stander for qualification, female record for the olympic is not even close to that of men, yet they are still in the olympic with their own stander records. and out side the field they want equality.
TheSilentQ

Pro

To be honest, I don't know much about the Olympics, so I apologize for that in advance and will do a quick bit of research on it. However... Even with what little I know on the subject, I disagree with you.

Because someone doesn't fight for equality, they don't deserve it? So with that in mind... I suppose slavery was A-Ok because not many slaves didn't speak up about it, if we were to apply your logic to the situation. Being a feminist is not about complaining about men being treated better and blowing a fuse when somebody opens a door for you out of common decency. It's about equality overall, in all matters of life. Also, there are quite a few female athletes. And so, there should be equality in the Olympic games.
Timeworn

Con

ok hold up for a sec, i think you are taking this completly the wrong directoin. I clearly said female are not fighting for equality in all field except in field that benefit them. my point here is IF FEMALE WANT EQUALITY THEN THAT SHOULD ALSO INCLUDE WITHING THE OLYMPIC GAMES. i dont know how you are comparing this situation too that of slavery. the fight to end slavery was not dont just by the slaves themslef, slave owner where involve as well as the whole world. it was a world wide situatoin, and it included both genders and all race. so eqaulity was definitely a must, and they where not picking which slave gets cerntain rights, they where fighting for right in absolutely all field with non exception.

equality: the state or quality of being equal; correspondence in quantity, degree, value, rank, or ability
(Dicitionary.com)
the above definition of equality is definitly not leaving any exceptions. So if that is what female want, then their should be no exception in any field that present female and male.

you just said being feminist is about equality overall, in matters of life, if its so about equality overall matter in life, then why do we have exception on physical performace in the olympic? why don't they fight to set the same time as men in all event? why must their be a specific stander time for females?
TheSilentQ

Pro

If I misunderstood you, I apologize. I thought you were stating that women should NOT have rights in the Olympics simply because there is seemingly no major movement, and that was why I was mentioning slavery.

Well anyhow, women are fighting for rights in the Olympics and in sports. I believe you are referring to the double standard certain feminist use... How some want equality, but only in areas that interest them. I will not deny that certain female feminists are like this... However, this does not make up the majority. There were things in the past movements such as Title IX, which was meant to advance gender equality in athletics and to limit discrimination. There are feminist movements in place to fight for equality in sports-- some simply aren't as well known as current ones, is all. Women fought to play sports in the past, and as time progresses, women will eventually play sports with men as equals.

There is the International Olympic Committee, which is committed to gender equality in sporting events. There is also the Feminist Majority Foundation. The problem with feminism today is that it branches out and tries to attack every problem separately, which makes the effects weaker. So yes, I can agree that feminists could do MORE to fight for equality in sporting events such as the Olympics... But to say they aren't doing anything at all is untrue. It is merely that the efforts are not oranigzed and as strong as they could be.
Timeworn

Con

i'm trying to get you to agree that, if females want EQUALITY, they should get it in full package. the committee you are talking about, they are fighting for something else, not equality as a whole, instead they are fighting for things like fairness, recognition, promotions, benefits, Title, and right to participate. through-tout the history of the game, their have been great athletes with outstanding records. the game was a men game, it was not intended for female, if they want to participate in these game, then they should have a completely separate evens and days, since they have their own stander records, and claiming that they are just as able as men, if they are indeed just as able as men, then we should cancel their stander and make all the athletes go by men stander time. if they say otherwise then they are clearly not fighting for equality. Because that is by all means EQUALITY. If female cannot keep up with male in the olympic, then why are they fighting for equality in all these other field when they know, clearly that is not what they really want? when the right for female participation was establish in the olympic it was not because female think they are equal to men, but because they wanted to be a part of the game, they want to simple be a part of it.
TheSilentQ

Pro

TheSilentQ forfeited this round.
Timeworn

Con

I had so many more to say to the opposing side, but they have forfeits.
TheSilentQ

Pro

TheSilentQ forfeited this round.
Timeworn

Con

Timeworn forfeited this round.
TheSilentQ

Pro

TheSilentQ forfeited this round.