Equitable funding for K-12 Public School system will improve overall education outcome in the US

Debate Structure:

Round 1: Acceptance (No arguments)
Round 2: Opening statements (No rebuttals)
Round 3: Arguments and Rebuttals
Round 4: Arguments and Rebuttals
Round 5: Final Refutations and closing statements (No new arguments)

I accept your debate on the terms you have offered.

Thank you for posting it, and I look forward to your opening statement.

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate! I wish Con the best of luck and I hope we will have a contructive and exciting debate!

Opening Statement:

First, I believe both I and my opponent (in fact, most of our voters) accept that K-12 education in the United States is broken and have failed to empower our future generations to be competitive in the global economy. The latest result from PISA showed the United States ranked number 30th in mathematics, 20th in reading, and 23rd in science. [1] US companies are not only outsource manufacturing jobs to third world nations, but they are also insourcing high skilled technical workers such as engineers and statisticians; [2] more disturbingly, STEM graduate programs in the US are also dependent on prospective students from oversea, with foreign students making up the majority of enrollments according to a study from NFAP. [3] During my time as a graduate student in Mathematics, I can attest that the majority of the faculties and students received their primary and secondary education from oversea, with products of US K-12 education system constitute less than 10% of the department. Simply put, students graduated from our grade schools are no longer the most attractive prospect nor most academically prepared individuals in comparison to their global competitors. In this debate, I argue and will show with logic and evidences that the problem plaguing our K-12 system can be more effectively dealt with by making funding more equitable for primary and secondary schools in the US.

Thank you and I am looking forward to my opponent's opening statement!

We are here today to discuss equitable funding for schools. The question here is equitable to WHOM?

As the system stands, money is distributed to schools both by the federal government and by the states. Federally, money is currently determined by the inane standards set by No Child Left Behind. I would not be surprised if my opponent is with me in standing against that failed policy, both for creating unequal financial distribution amongst schools and doing little to actually improve educational standards.

But, while No Child Left Behind is inequatable, attempts to equalize finances amongst different schools would also be a disaster for very much the same reason things are so uneven today.

To explore this more deeply, let us look at how States typically fund schools. In most states, some portion of tax revenue goes to funding education, and in most states, whether that piece of the financial pie is large or small, it IS actually disbursed equally between schools in different areas.

While this is well-intentioned to level the playing field between schools, it's folly lies in different levels of wealth in the areas recieving money. We'll get into more detail on this as the debate progresses, but to keep it short for now, it is my contention that funding schools UNEQUALLY to favor and compensate schools in poor-er neighborhoods will have better results for education than funding rich schools and poor schools equally.

Unequal funding is the only way to create fair results in our school system, otherwise, as with so many aspects of our society, education will only continue to help the rich get richer at the expense of poorer students.

Umm... I think we will need to stop this debate, because I actually think we agree on this issue...

When I say equitable funding, I'm not saying there should be totally equal funding going to both poor and rich school districts... And I actually won't argue against your stand that poorer school districts should receive more funding to make up for the harsher condition.

I guess gentlemen can always agree, and I don't mind if voters give my opponent the win because he just made my day :)

Hmmm. Would this be better framed as looking for someone to argue the merits of No Child Left Behind? If so, I happilly agree to tie.

Haha, hell, I disagree with No Child Left Behind...

Friend me and we can discuss on what we actually disagree lol
Posted by tttcomrader 2 years ago
Haha, thank you, I know that most rational person would agree with the motion...

But as you can see, there are those who are oppose to such ideas...
Posted by The_Immortal_Emris 2 years ago
Notice how LifeMeansGodIsGood refuses to actually debate this issue, but rather takes an extremist anti-intellectual stance against education in general. Again lowering the bar of discourse as that user is want to do.

Tripple T, I don't think you're going to find anyone who will rationally disagree with you. We need more funding for schools at every level.

Perhaps a more popular debate topic would be if you chose a chunk of discretionary cash from another government spending item (a prime example being the military) and hypothetically floated the idea of moving that funding to education. It might get more response.

Good luck in your debate either way. I agree with you!
Posted by tttcomrader 2 years ago
I agree that throwing money at a school that already has adequate funding will not necessarily improve the qualify of education. But schools that are adequately funded will never be able to provide the necessary condition for students to succeed; let alone competing against those who are from privileged school districts. The underlying problem is that our school districts are funded mostly by local taxes, meaning a student who live in a poor districts will not be able to compete against one from a richer district.

I'm a math teacher, and I only teach my students math and its applications; it is against school policy to teach ethics or any religious topics since I am not qualified to do so.

In a free market, our economy can only improve if everyone are competing against one another, regardless of their family background; education is the key, and as it stands, it is hugely inequitable and undermine our society.
Posted by LifeMeansGodIsGood 2 years ago
throwing money at the pubic schools is a waste. They're too busy teaching situaltion ethics and ahteism to give kids a good education. All the money in the world won't help. Public Schools are a bad joke.