Therammo
Ryan_Sphar

Eternal life is existing

Ryan_Sphar

Therammo

Pro

The basic premise proceeds from the assumption that the probability of a world coming into existence exactly like our own is greater than zero (we know this because our world exists). If space is infinite, then cosmology tells us that our existence will recur an infinite number of times.

We also know for a fact that we are made of atoms and particles. Giving infinite time and space, there will eventually be same atoms and particles IN SAME ORDER, therefore our existence is cyclical and not linear.

My opponent will need to explain why there shouldn't be an infinite and eternal universe rather than finite one. Speaking of logic, the only reasonable answer would be that we indeed are living in an eternal and infinite space, where big bangs are occurring infinitely without need for cause.

This would also explain the 'free will' problem. Space doesn't care what you think. Its a random generation of algorithms that will make all possible outcomes reality. For an example; I'm president of US in a parallel universe. And in another universe I'm living in a world where star wars really happened. So according to the eternal return theory, we do not have free will.
Ryan_Sphar

Con

I agree with your statement to a point. While I do agree with the possibility of the multiverse theory, I retain my doubts. The basic premise of said theory is that infinite universes exist therefore every situation you can imagine exists in some other universe. Given this premise since I can imagine a universe where this universe can"t exist in any universe at all ever would make this theory fundamentally impossible.
Also you say that at another time our exact species could exist. While I do think a species similar to ours could exist, I do not think the conditions that were present during the evolution of the life we know on Earth are possible to replicate. The odds that you and me could be having this debate are infinitesimally small, so the idea that a different species will evolve into a separate you and me having this same debate are impossible.
Therammo

Pro

'While I do think a species similar to ours could exist, I do not think the conditions that were present during the evolution of the life we know on Earth are possible to replicate. The odds that you and me could be having this debate are infinitesimally small, so the idea that a different species will evolve into a separate you and me having this same debate are impossible.'

Well even if the odds is infinitely small, its still greater than zero (0). Therefore given infinite time, it will eventually happen.
I suggest you to read 'Infinite monkey theorem'. It will give you a insight on what I mean.
Ryan_Sphar

Con

Ryan_Sphar forfeited this round.
Therammo

Pro

My opponent forfeited this round, as he didn't have any arguments to give.
Ryan_Sphar

Con

Ryan_Sphar forfeited this round.
Posted by Therammo 1 year ago
Therammo
@philocat I argue that there is multiverse, thus we are infinite. We are eternal and we will live again infinite number of times.
Posted by Philocat 1 year ago
Philocat
So are you arguing that the universe is infinite? And so will Con be arguing that the universe is finite?
Posted by Ragnar 1 year ago
Ragnar
Hopefully your opponent this time will actually read your case.
Vote Placed by YoshiBoy13 1 year ago
YoshiBoy13
TherammoRyan_SpharTied
Reasons for voting decision: DoubleForfeit