bobyochen
Grape

Etymology and earlier usage The word Scientology is a pairing of the Latin word scientia ("knowledg

Grape

bobyochen

Con

Scientology is a body of beliefs and related practices created by L. Ron Hubbard (1911–1986), starting in 1952, as a successor to his earlier self-help system, Dianetics.[1] Hubbard characterized Scientology as a religion and in 1953 incorporated the Church of Scientology in Camden, New Jersey.[2][3]
Scientology teaches that people are immortal spiritual beings who have forgotten their true nature.[4] Its method of spiritual rehabilitation is a type of counseling known as auditing, in which practitioners aim to consciously re-experience painful or traumatic events in their past in order to free themselves of their limiting effects.[5] Study materials and auditing courses are made available to members in return for specified donations.[6] Scientology is legally recognized as a tax-exempt religion in the United States and some other countries,[7][8][9][10] and the Church of Scientology emphasizes this as proof that it is a bona fide religion.[11] In other countries such as Germany, France and the United Kingdom, Scientology does not have comparable religious status. A large number of organizations overseeing the application of Scientology have been established,[12] the most notable of these being the Church of Scientology. Scientology sponsors a variety of social service programs.[12][13] These include a set of moral guidelines expressed in a brochure called The Way to Happiness, the Narconon anti-drug program, the Criminon prison rehabilitation program, the Study Tech education methodology, a volunteer organization, and a business management method.[14]
Scientology has been surrounded by controversies since its inception. It has often been described as a cult that financially defrauds and abuses its members, charging exorbitant fees for its spiritual services.[6][15][16] The Church of Scientology has consistently used litigation against such critics, and its aggressiveness in pursuing its foes has been condemned as harassment.[17][18] Further controversy has focused on Scientology's belief that souls ("thetans") reincarnate and have lived on other planets before living on Earth.[19] Former members say that some of Hubbard's writings on this remote extraterrestrial past, included in confidential Upper Levels, are not revealed to practitioners until they have paid thousands of dollars to the Church of Scientology.[20][21] Another controversial belief held by Scientologists is that the practice of psychiatry is destructive and abusive and must be abolished.[22][23] Etymology and earlier usage

The word Scientology is a pairing of the Latin word scientia ("knowledge", "skill"), which comes from the verb scīre ("to know"), and the Greek λόγος l�gos ("word" or "account [of]").[24][25]
In 1901, Allen Upward coined Scientology "as a disparaging term, to indicate a blind, unthinking acceptance of scientific doctrine" according to the Internet Sacred Text Archive as quoted in the preface to Forgotten Books' recent edition of Upward's book, The New Word: On the meaning of the word Idealist.[26] Continuing to quote, the publisher writes "I'm not aware of any evidence that Hubbard knew of this fairly obscure book."[27]
In 1934, philosopher A Nordenholz published a book that used the term to mean "science of science".[28] It is also uncertain whether Hubbard was aware of this prior usage of the word.[29]
Grape

Pro

Resolved: That the word Scientology is a pairing of the Latin word scienti ("Knowledg

The resolution is an incomplete fragment, but I will assume it was meant to be:

The word Scientology is a pairing of the Latin word scientia ("knowledge", "skill"), which comes from the verb scīre ("to know"), and the Greek λόγος l�gos ("word" or "account [of]").

As stated in my opponent's argument. The numbers and symbols of course represent characters that do not exist in this font.

My opponent has taken the Con position, meaning he is arguing that this statement is false.

I argue that it is true. I cite the information that he copy-pasted from Wikipedia as my evidence. The full page can be found here:

Resolution affirmed.
bobyochen

Con

Double, double, toil and trouble;
Fire burn and cauldron bubble.
Pour in sow's blood
that hath eaten her nine farrow;
grease that's sweaten from the muderer's gibbet
throw into the flame;
finger of birth-strangled babe,
ditch-deliver'd by a drab;
Make the gruel thick and slab,
like a hell-broth boil and bubble,
for a charm of powerful trouble.
When shall we three meet again?
In thunder, lightening or in rain?
When the hurlyburly's done.
When the battle's lost and won.
That will be ere the set of sun.
Where to meet withMacbeth?
By the pricking of my thumbs,
something wicked this way comes.
So foul and fair a day I have not seen.
A drum, a drum!
Macbeth doth come.
All hail, Macbeth! hail to thee,
thane of Glamis!
Grape

Pro

No arguments have been offered against the resolution.

Resolution affirmed.
Posted by Cody_Franklin 6 years ago
Cody_Franklin
Conduct: Pro - Con's copy-pasting was both tasteless and slightly irrelevant.

S/G: Tied

Arguments: Pro - Con's arguments supported Pro's position.

Sources: Pro - Con's source ALSO supported Pro's position.
Posted by Grape 6 years ago
Grape
If this debate ends up being my first official loss on debate.org than I will be both shocked and amused. When I saw I tie I thought someone had gone back and voted on one of my close debates from a while ago.
Posted by Sorrow 6 years ago
Sorrow
I gave CON some points for copy and pasting Shakespeare, I like people who know their Shakespeare. And it was nice to see some minimal effort, I'd expect nothing less from a Scientologist.
Posted by Sorrow 6 years ago
Sorrow
You can't really argue etymology without arguing semantics, but then again arguing semantics is like trying to argue with yourself, you'll accomplish nothing.
Posted by alto2osu 6 years ago
alto2osu
So...did you feel that more people needed to view the Wiki on scientology or does this "debate" have a hidden significance that I'm just missing?
Vote Placed by Awed 6 years ago
Awed
bobyochenGrapeTied
Vote Placed by tBoonePickens 6 years ago
tBoonePickens
bobyochenGrapeTied
Vote Placed by Cody_Franklin 6 years ago
Cody_Franklin
bobyochenGrapeTied
Vote Placed by bobyochen 6 years ago
bobyochen
bobyochenGrapeTied
Vote Placed by Sorrow 6 years ago
Sorrow
bobyochenGrapeTied
Vote Placed by Grape 6 years ago
Grape
bobyochenGrapeTied