Euthanasia Should Be Legal In America

In the Constitution, Americans are guaranteed the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Based on this, denying somebody euthanasia would be against their unalienable rights.

I accept, and await Pro's arguments. I will contend that euthanasia should not be legal, as it leads to ethical issues and denying this does not breach any rights.

Well as I said before, Americans are guaranteed the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. By denying someone euthanasia, you are denying them their rights to life and happiness. By denying a dying patient mercy, you are torturing them and taking away their liberty. How is it right to force someone to do something they do not want to do?

Some of my opponent's arguments do not link to his conclusion. When someone is given the right to life, that means that the government outlaws murder, and punishes those who infringe on the right. This has nothing to do with the right to do with it whatever they want. With Pro's interpretation of this right, anyone including depressed teenagers and the like, are allowed to commit suicide, even when it would clearly harm society for them to do so.

My opponent's sole valid point is basically this: that those who want a way out from their pain should have it by killing them, which is a merciful thing to do. However, I also agree that patients should have the right to die in this circumstance, with assisted suicide. This would achieve the same upsides, without the downsides of the doctor outright killing the patient.

With the doctor killing the patient, doctors are given power that may be abused. For example, when it would benefit the doctor, the doctor could fake consent, among other things.

Assisted suicide achieves the same upsides, without the ethical downsides of euthanasia.

You make a valid point, but the right to life means the right to their life. They can do whatever they choose to with their life. By denying them the opportunity for a way out, you are being cruel. Assisted suicide and euthanasia should be legal.

My opponent makes no argument for why we should favor his interpretation of the right to life over my interpretation. My argument was dropped, so we must assume that the right to life only includes the right to keep your life, and not the right to do with it whatever you wish. However, despite my thoughts on the right to life, I believe that assisted suicide should be legal. Not because it would fulfill a right, but because it would reduce unnecessary suffering to those who will inevitably die without any reasonable chance of recovery or at least any remaining time without pain.

Doctors should not kill their patients, and my arguments supporting that were dropped. Pro gives no reason as to why Euthanasia should be legalized that is unique to his plan over my counter plan (assisted suicide), and I have shown that his plan presents disadvantages that mine does not have. Therefore, you must negate. Vote Con.
Vote Placed by Mysery 3 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con pointed out the difference between euthanasia and assisted suicide, emphasizing problems with euthanasia. Pro did not present reason as to why euthanasia should be legal in light of assisted suicide as an option.