matt121
caseyuer

Euthanasia should be legalised in the UK for the terminally ill.

matt121

Pro

I believe Euthanasia needs to be legalised in the UK. Every couple of years, the argument arises again and again and I firmly believe that it will be legalised at some point in the future. So why not now?

In 2006, Lord Joffe attempted to pass a bill allowing patients who had 6 or fewer months to live to choose to die if they so wished. However, a petition with 100,00 signatures on was presented and the bill was scrapped. This is wrong. Ordinary citizens do not have the right to choose how somebody should live their life. They do not know the pain that this person and their family is going through. It is up to the individual if they want to die. Theists may claim that only God can take a life or give a life but I say this, if God intends for this person to die, why not let them die sooner to ease their suffering?

Now I do not believe that Euthanasia should be offered to absolutely everybody. It should be to a select few. The terminally ill who have maybe a year left to live or the people who live everyday in excruciating pain. Why should we leave them to suffer like this, doped up on painkillers whilst they live what is barely a life. Using the principal of Agape, it is the most loving thing to allow them to die. They shouldn't feel forced to travel all the way to a country such as Switzerland where Euthanasia is legalised nor should their relatives face possible prison sentences for helping them to get there. These absurdities must be eradicated.

Yes Euthanasia may go 'against God' or the work done by hospices but let me ask you this. Would you want to live everyday in so much pain, all you can do is simply lie there whilst others carry on with their lives around you?
No. I didn't think so.
caseyuer

Con

Thank you for offering this topic, and I hope to have a good debate.
-

First off, you did briefly mention God in your opening statement. As an atheist myself, I agree with your point there so I think it"s safe to say we can drop the biblical aspect of the debate. However there are a couple points that come up in the course of this conversation. One is that suicide in itself is wrong, and the other is that assisted suicide could lead to further discrimination against disabled persons.

The first problem I think we might have is addressing the very broad issue about whether or not suicide itself is wrong. However the situations you have brought up do provide a unique look on it. One of the most common quips you"ll hear from someone arguing against suicide is ""Suicide is a temporary solution to a permanent problem"". Obviously, unless a medical miracle were to happen, that point is pretty much moot here.

But at what point do you allow assisted suicide? If a cancer patient has a 90% chance of not making it through, do we allow assisted suicide based off the statistical odds? Where exactly is the cutoff point? The same could be said for people in permanent pain. You made the point of saying excruciating pain for assisted suicide. Who decides excruciating? Do we go to the patients and say "On a scale of 1-10 what exactly is your pain level?..". Pain and the perception of pain is subjective, who gets to decide for these people?

And you only addressed physical illnesses in your opening remarks. What of people with mental defects and illnesses? Do we take people with such severe mental retardation that they are forced to rely completely on others and say, "No life worth living here", and proceed? What about those with afflictions like Bi-Polar disorder, or schizophrenia, so bad that they are untreatable with today"s medications?

Another remark you"ll sometimes hear against suicide is that it inflicts emotional harm on the family of the victim. Once again this point is not useful here if, as would be in the ideal situation, if the family supports assisted suicide in this situation. But what if they do not, and the patient is a parent? I imagine you might make the point that in a situation like this, the parent is unfit to do his/her duty. But once again the problem comes down to making that decision in individual cases. If the person is able to communicate, console, and love, do we still let them remove themselves from the role?

The other problem with assisted suicide is that it could very easily start us to looking at the ill and disabled as weak, non-contributing members of society. I am in no way saying that the decision to take one"s life comes easy, but it could look as if they"re easily disposable and that could have adverse affects throughout society.
-
Thank you, and I"m eagerly awaiting your reply.
matt121

Pro

First of all, thanks very much for choosing to debate with me!

Now, you say we must look as to whether suicide in general is wrong and I couldn't agree more. I do believe people should be offered counselling/support if they need it. But I see Euthanasia differently. The actual word translates from Greek with "eu" meaning "good" and "thanasia" meaning "death". It is quintessentially a 'good death'.

Yes we cannot measure pain but there are some patients who are still in sound mind who say they want to die. They are able to accurately convey this message to others. But I agree with you when I say that this could possibly lead to people needlessly dying. I believe that Euthanasia should be for the terminally ill. Those who are going to die. But not for those who are going to die within the next 5 years. It should start out with people who are going to die within say a year. These people are most likely to spend the majority of the little time they have left stuck in a hospital bed with tubes sticking out of them. As I have said before, this is barely an existence. They should be offered the chance of an escape from the hell that they are living day in, day out. All they will do is sleep, eat and excrete. Some may not even eat! The food may be put into their body through tubes. It is understandable why some would want to die. And they should have that opportunity.

However, if this was to happen, I do believe that it should be as comfortable for the patient as possible. It should be at a quite area of the hospital or at the patient's house, somewhere where they can relax and be at peace. Death is peace. The state that some of these people are in is not. This is why Euthanasia should be legalised.

I look forward to your reply in turn.
caseyuer

Con

caseyuer forfeited this round.
matt121

Pro

matt121 forfeited this round.
caseyuer

Con

caseyuer forfeited this round.
matt121

Pro

matt121 forfeited this round.
caseyuer

Con

caseyuer forfeited this round.