A7
Festerjester

Euthanasia should be legalized worldwide

Festerjester has forfeited round #2.

A7

Con

Euthanasia is the painless killing of a patient suffering from an incurable and painful disease or in an irreversible coma.

The incentive to go ahead with Euthanasia would be to relieve the pain and suffering of a patient diagnosed with an incurable disease.

Somehow terminal illness is always associated with the final stages of cancer. There are many kinds of incurable diseases ranging from the final stages of a Malignant Cancer to something as mild as Asthma (can also be severe, but for the sake of the argument let's assume it's mild). So does that mean that a person suffering from Asthma can choose to die just because of the complications of the disease? NO. It's unfortunate that things turned out the way they did, but they've just got to live with it. Yes, they may feel left out at times due to some of the activities that they can't take part in, but that doesn't give them an excuse to miss out on a life like that. Boldly, I'd like to extend the same ideology to any other disease including mental retardation and physical disabilities.

Also, there is no set standard for measuring, quantifying and comparing the sensation of pain. We can only estimate the level of pain based on a person's behavior and other verbal cues. Even if this seems philosophical, it is rather absurd to assume that the future would be free of pain. We don't know what happens after death. We define birth as the beginning of life. But is it not true that the fetus inside the womb is not alive? Similarly, we cannot ascertain what happens after death. Yes, theoretically there shouldn't be any sensation. However, we will never know for sure and due to lack of knowledge we cannot advise anybody to go ahead with Euthanasia.
Festerjester

Pro

People have the right to choose. Look, you have a terminal illness. You are in constant non stop extreme pain. So your telling me you would live another week of non stop pain for no reason? Thats why I think you should have the right. However, they should have to have a reason and be over 18. We don't want teenagers/depressed people doing this for no reason. I think children over 10 could say if they would want to do it or not, but with doctors opinons. Parents should never decide to kill their children, and shouldn't prevent it without a reason.

Sorry for my english, it's not my native language.
A7

Con

Rebuttal
You say that Euthanasia should only be legalized for people aged above 18 and suffering from a terminal illness. You also mentioned that children over 10 could choose to go ahead with Euthanasia provided that they have a doctor's approval.
However, the patient may not always be able to make that decision. Consider the case of a coma. It is impossible to decide whether a patient in a coma may even regain consciousness, let alone make a decision about their future life.

I'd also like to bring back the point I made earlier regarding 'terminal illness' and 'pain'. More examples could be Paralysis, Blindness, Speech Impairment etc. Is a patient suffering from a type of cancer in more pain than someone suffering from any of the above mentioned diseases? How can we measure that? We can't. All we can do is estimate a patient's 'level of pain' through verbal or non-verbal cues.

My point is that we have very limited knowledge in this domain and hence we are not in a position to make a decision that may impact the lives of countless individuals. When you enforce a law, it has to be clear, direct and must not create any confusion. It is impossible to do so since we cannot distinguish between what is right and what is not at all times.
Posted by C_e_e 11 months ago
C_e_e
The youth in Asia are doing fine. I don't know why people are worried about them so much to debate their condition.