First off, I would like to thank anyone who has decided to take up this debate. I would also like to establish what I mean by euthanasia, the assisted suicide of people through medical and humane conditions when the person is of a sound state of mind. Now, lets begin:

I would like to start with Dr. Jack Kevorkian. For those who are unfamiliar with him, he was a medical specialist who was known for assisting people in suicide throughout the 60's. He brought questions of medical ethics during the 1900's and also today. His procedure was such: When the patient was of a sound state of mind and accompanied by a witness, they would come to his place of business and the first time they would just talk about what they are wanting to do. The second visit the same thing occurred. On the third visit Dr. Kevorkian would ask them again then administer a numbing concern. When the Doctor was taken to court and placed in jail, I found it to be unlawful. This brings us to the stasis of the debate; Do we, as people, get to control our lives? I say yes and here's why:

1) The government is there to protect us, it is for us and because of us. But, when we no longer want to live, be it pain or other medical stipulation, who, other than ourselves, has the right to force us to live when we would rather die? No one.

2) If the person is of a sound state of mind, as determined by a specialist, then they are fully aware of what they are choosing to do... This is what they want.

3) We already have policies such as DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) . By allowing for legal, medical, and human euthanasia we are give the right to live or not to live to the people. As the Deceleration of Independence states, "All men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness", it does not end there, with the right to life comes the right to death.

Again, I thank whoever takes up this debate and best of luck to you.

Firstly, I'd like to say that even though it was the person's own will to ask the doctor to assist them with suicide, the doctor should not have agreed. This is true for the following reasons:

1. The doctor is a doctor for a reason, he is supposed to help the patient medically. Not help them hurt themselves.

2. Suicide is not something that someone should be payed for. The doctor should not help people end their lives.

3. The patient could have just been going through emotional issues that could have been dealt with if they went to a psychologist or another kind of help.

Thank you for accepting my debate:
1) You are correct, doctors are there for the purpose of helping their patients. However, when a patient is terminaly ill and a cure in unavailable and the pain is unbearable is it not helping them? Especially if it is done humanely rather than such sings as hanging oneself?

2) You say the doctor should not help people end their lives. Why not? It is their life to do with what they choose. Not yours, not mines, not the doctors. If they have pain that is physical and untreatable they are entitled to their right to die.

3) As to my points, you did not really respond to such ones as isn't it their right to do with their life as they want?

FerdinandMajelen forfeited this round.

If you no longer wish to debate please forfeit

I am sorry for the inconvenience.
1. If that were the case they should use that as a point in court
2. Just because someone asks the doctor to help them commit suicide, it is not the doctor's place to help them commit suicide
3. As I've already said you are correct they should be able to do it themselves, as it's not the doctor's job to help someone else commit suicide, also they should have already know that an action like this would have consequences (like him being sent to jail)
Posted by Maddie98 1 year ago
My debate on Euthanasia isn't getting any votes coming in either :\ I wish I could vote for you but I'm newer to this site and haven't been in 3 debates yet. Hopefully people will check our out. You had some really great points backing up your arguments :)