EXOPrimal
tylergraham95

Euthanasia

tylergraham95 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

EXOPrimal

Pro

Debate Settings
10,000 Character arguments
72 Hour argument time
14 Day Voting
Opponent must have completed 1 debate, this is to avoid a new member accepting then freezing the debate, if you have not completed one debated and wish to accept this debate please message me or leave a comment

Complete Topic
The practice of euthanasia should be legalised.

Note: Contender is debating against the euthanasia

Terms
Euthanasia
Also called mercy killing. the act of putting to death painlessly or allowing to die, as by with holding extreme medical measures, a person or animal suffering from an incurable, especially a painful, disease or condition.

Legalised
To be permittedbylaw

Rules
1. No forfeits
2. Any citations or foot/endnotes must be provided in the text of the debate
3. No new arguments in the final round
4. No trolling
5. No semantics
6. My opponent accepts all definitions and waives his/her right to add definitions
7. Violation of any of these rules or of any of the R1 set-up merits a loss.
8. No "K's" on the topic.
9. All citations should be links, and may not be hidden behind a login
10.For all undefined terms, individuals should use commonplace understandings that fit within the logical context of the resolution and this debate

Debate Format
R1: Con Accepts
R2: Pro Arguments. Con Arguments
R3: Pro Rebuttals, Con Rebuttals
R4: Pro Defence, Con Defence and Further Rebuttals
R5: Pro Defence, Further Rebuttals, and Conclusion, Con Defence and Conclusion

I Thank My Opponent In Advance For Accepting This Debate And Wish Him The Best Of Luck
tylergraham95

Con

I accept this challenge, and I hope it will be the beginning of my reentry into debate activity. Thanks to ExoPrimal for such an excellent topic, and well-made rules and definitions.

Cheers!
EXOPrimal

Pro

Introduction
Euthanasia is a particularly messy topic to debate on, due to the fact that it is a mostly moral argument. I thank my opponent for accepting this debate. Euthanasia should be legal in the US, because is it is moral and it is a better than the alternative. Canada is currently in a fierce debate about euthanasia, more than 2/3s of their population want euthanasia, but the leader of their political parties are avoiding the topic. Euthanasia is legal in many countries, such as the Netherlands, Belgium, and 5 of the united states. I believe it is time to add some more places to that list.

C1: Morality
A. Euthanasia is a moral option for someone that is about to die, euthanasia is quick and painless, compared to the slow torture of different terminal diseases.

B. Doctors aren't choosing the fate of the patient, the patient decides whether or not they want euthanasia. They will have a choice of living connected to wires, or dying painlessly. It is the patient's choice, If they want to live artificially the can, but what if they do not?

C2: The Alternative
A. Let's look at the alternative of euthanasia, dying connected to many wires on a hospital bed. More than 70% of the US’ population suffer this fate and is it a good alternative?

B. Why do we prolong someone’s life like we do? The live artificially, and cannot work or do anything they would have wanted to do. People on life support are hardly alive, and cannot do any of the things they would have wanted. This is not moral, or good for the person in question, at all.

C. Life support is also expensive, and can be a huge financial burden on the family of the patient. Life support costs about $3,000 and can sometime skyrocket to 10 grand, in a day(1). Euthanasia costs $45, tiny in comparison.

Citations
1.https://www.reference.com...

Posted by tylergraham95 1 year ago
tylergraham95
Ah god dammit. I missed the deadline by a few seconds. If you're willing to continue the debate in the spirit of sportsmanship, here's the argument I had just written second before: https://docs.google.com...
Posted by Dujec 1 year ago
Dujec
Damn, I'd really like to go pro on this one. The last month of life is just terrible for the ill and the whole family. At least pill pushers are willing to subscribe a lot of meds but addiction symptoms start to show after a few weeks. If death is close, the moral choice is euthanasia.