Kiluren2202
stonemine15

Euthenasia

Kiluren2202

Kiluren2202

Pro

First round is for acceptance. Second round are the opening statements with no rebuttals. Third round is for futher aguments and rebbutals. Fourth round will then be rebuttals of the previous round while the final round is for closing statments.
stonemine15

Con

I accept and good luck
Kiluren2202

Pro

Firstly, I will address some of the key points against the legalisation of Euthanasia.
A common misconception of assisted suicide is that it drastically shortens the life span of the person and that recovery was going to occur in the very near future. However, in a Dutch report about Euthanasia, it was found that the procedure actually only shortened the lifespan of the patients. This proves that Euthanasia is not an easy way out but more of a quicker exit with less pain.
Another point against euthanasia is that it goes against having a good quality of life. Actually it does the exact opposite. It often improves the quality of life. For instance, if you have terminal illness you can die at any time and will spend the majority of your remaining life span being scared of death and therefore would not enjoy your life to the extent that you normally would. However, if you knew exactly when you were going to die then that fear would be removed and therefore you are free to enjoy your life to its fullest extent. A quote from a person diagnosed with a rare form of Alzheimer"s, who became an avid campaigner of assisted dying, was that As I have said, I would like to die peacefully with Thomas Tallis on my iPod before the disease takes me over and I hope that will not be for quite some time to come, because if I knew that I could die at any time I wanted, then suddenly every day would be as precious as a million pounds. If I knew that I could die, I would live. My life, my death, my choice."
One of the biggest myths of assisted dying is that assisted suicide will lead to pressure for old people to die, but in fact, Oregon, the first state to legalise euthanasia after the law taking effect have had just 341, up until 2008. And the groups mainly labelled as the weaker part of society, the poor, the minority and the elderly are actually the least common group to request assisted suicide. In fact, it"s often the group that are labeled as the least vulnerable members of society, young white men that past often request aid with suicide.
Euthanasia rejection is often based on the opinion that it is the "lesser of two evils" in fact, the alternatives to euthanasia are horrific. The case of Kelly Taylor, a young lady who was denied euthanasia, and so starved herself for 19 days. Furthermore, Tony Nicklinson, a white British Male, was denied Euthanasia in both 2010 and 2012, despite being unable to move a single muscle in his body as a sufferer of "locked in" syndrome, a condition often described as "a fate worse than death". Unable to do the job himself or to ask anyone else to do it for him, he died in "indignity and misery" from pneumonia after starving himself for a week.
Another myth to do with Euthanasia is that it will open the flood gates for deaths. In the Netherlands, where Euthanasia is legal, there are about 3000 requests to die. That may seem like a considerable amount, but in fact it accounts for just 1.7% of deaths. And that isn't the ones who are accepted. The Netherlands system has made it complex and very difficult to achieve and so just 1/3 of those who apply actually achieve it.
Finally, I will address the Hippocratic Oath, which is "do no harm" (a rough summation). This is an ancient guide for doctor"s actions. This is often falsely misinterpreted as "do nothing to harm the patient"s chances of survival but, in fact could quite easily been seen as "don"t artificially keep someone alive when death is preferable". When a patient is in intense pain or several metal anguish, we do, in fact, harm them more by sustaining their survival then by killing them.
In conclusion, it is all about whether we decide to sustain an inevitable and more painful death, or to not sit back and watch someone suffer but to choose to do something about it. Until we stop sitting of the fence and decide to help those in need, the suffering will continue for a long time.

Keep calm and vote Pro!!
My source: http://listverse.com...
stonemine15

Con

I forfeit. I thought I was pro.
Kiluren2202

Pro

Okay, sorry for the confusion. I didn't make the title clear enough
stonemine15

Con

Nice arguements though. gg
Kiluren2202

Pro

Hey, thanks!! :)
Kiluren2202

Pro

And that's it. Byee :)
Vote Placed by lannan13 3 years ago
lannan13
Kiluren2202stonemine15Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture