BigSky
zgb1997

Even in theory, Capitalism is better than Communism

BigSky

Pro

My opponent will make the claim that Communism is better then Capitalism.
The only rule is that a forfeiture is disqualification.

I will allow my opponent to define terms.
zgb1997

Con

I gladly accept the challenge.
As the con side, my task will be to show that communism is a better system than capitalism in theory, as my opponent said in his issue of this challenge.

I would also like to offer definitions:

COMMUNISM - Communism is a revolutionary socialist movement to create a classess, moneyless and stateless social order structured upon common ownership of the means of production, as well as a social, politica and economic ideology that aims at the establishment of this social order. [1]

CAPITALISM - Capitalism is an economic system based on the private ownership of the means of production, with the goal of making a profit. Central elements of capitalism include capital accumulation, competitive markets, and a price system. [2]

I had this round used for accepantance only, and will await my opponent's opening statement in the following round.

SOURCES FOR DEFINITIONS:

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
BigSky

Pro

Thank you to my opponent for accepting this debate, I"m sure it will be as enlightening as it will be fun! I remind readers that I am defending the theory of Capitalism against Communism. It is has been proven throughout history that Capitalism is better in practice, but is Communism, in theory, better?

Like everything else in life, the type of Government you want is completely opinion based, but the idea of Capitalism is obviously superior, and here is why: It"s all about the people, isn"t it? The people governed want a society that is fair, and generally free from oppression. On the surface, a good man would say that communism is better, because it would appear that all people are taken care of, and everyone is happy. Capitalism, on the surface, looks like a policy that only makes the rich people richer, and would seem to be completely unfair. In no way, shape, or form, is this true. Capitalism gives everyone a chance to climb the ladder to success, as long as you are willing to try. If every student left high school with a 4.0, and a desire to support the country, there is no limit to what they can do.

Communism on the other hand, is much more complicated. Since this debate is theory based, we will presume that everyone in the Communist state was willing to work, mainly because if anyone didn"t, the society would collapse. Say that a farmer, we"ll call him Bill, was saving up his money to buy a new tractor. He had been working hard, and he could finally afford it. As he was on his way to buy that tractor, he would receive a phone saying that his neighbor hadn"t read the instructions on a new dirt bike, filled it with water, rather than gas, and was severely injured. Bill would be required to give his money, that he had been saving up for so long, to help pay for his neighbor"s surgery. And he would, because he was an honest man (and he was forced to by the federal government), and this is a theoretically perfect communist system.

This is why Capitalism is better than communism, rather than being out of one's charity, the government is making Bill give his earnings to a neighbor who made a silly mistake. It isn"t fair, it isn"t just, even in theory, all Communism does is support everyone, even if they don"t deserve the support.

Sorry this was rushed, I was a little short of time. I'll rebut your arguments in the next round.
zgb1997

Con

zgb1997 forfeited this round.
BigSky

Pro

BigSky forfeited this round.
zgb1997

Con

zgb1997 forfeited this round.
Posted by zgb1997 3 years ago
zgb1997
I unfortunately forgot to post this in the rules; I would rule out Stalinism, Maoism, Russian Bolshevism and any system interpreted as communism after 1918. I shall argue advanced orthodox Marxism and early Leninism.
Posted by zgb1997 3 years ago
zgb1997
In the definitions, political*.
Excuse my typo.