Rachelle1625
SnaxAttack

Every Child Should Have A Phone

SnaxAttack

Rachelle1625

Pro

All children should have some type of way to communicate with their parents when they are in danger or in need of something. The phone does not have to be the new and expensive phone but they should have some type of to communicate instead of depending on someone else.
SnaxAttack

Con

According to the topic "Every Child should have a Phone", I like to please address one definition which my opponent did not provide. That definition being "child", where it states: "A young human being below the age of puberty or below the legal age of majority". This can refer to a 10 year old, to even an infant. I ask my opponent, why should an infant have a phone? According to the definition of "phone" or "telephone", it is: "A system that converts acoustic vibrations to electrical signals in order to transmit sound, typically voices, over a distance using wire or radio". They are to young to have a phone, especially when the topic is that "all" children should have a phone, but why an infant? They are to immature and are not mature enough.

Definitions:
https://www.google.com...
https://www.google.com...
Rachelle1625

Pro

To be very honest the other definition of child is "a son or daughter of any age". So you pertaining to just one definition not all of them. I was just talking about a mobile device that you can communicate with each other on.
Perhaps this link will also help:
https://www.google.com...

I think about the reasonable idea also so I would ask my contender what she thinks about "children" using phones and the reason to have them.
SnaxAttack

Con

First off, I'm actually a he, not a she; but not going to take to much offence. Secondly, I will agree that there can be multiple definitions for "child", like the one my opponent provided; but a definition was not established, so it can mean anything. My definition is under the age of puberty, while my opponent's can be different; but my opponent failed to provide a "set definition" within the first round.. However, the topic states that every child should have a phone; and ask my opponent "Should an infant have a phone". They shouldn't, they are too young and is a waste of money to get a infant a phone when they won't need it; especially in Elementary School.
Rachelle1625

Pro

I am very sorry about the gender situation. The set definition would not be quite reasonable to add in the argument because I am talking about children in general. In context clues, the definition would be quite clear but I would clarify it much better next time if that is needed. Children in elementary school should actually be able to use phones for this reason: http://www.cnn.com.... Many people do not think shooters coming to elementary schools because they would think they have a heart. Some do and some choose not to. Children should be able to contact their parents in times of troubles. Toddlers should not have not have a phone because some don't have the correct education in order to contact their parents. Parents although should check out where their toddler is at every time. It would quite reasonable for an elementary student and higher to have a phone because anything can happen.
SnaxAttack

Con

For this debate, I would like to sum up on how it went and point out many flaws within my opponent. Firstly, my opponent argues that there is no need for a "set definition", but there has to be otherwise we will have different views on what is being discussed. With that in mind, if it is broken; this isn't really a true debate becuase of not being on the same page.

Secondly, my opponent has failed throughout the debate to answer my question about infants with a phone. The topic clearly states: "Every child", and this includes infants. Because of the topic also dealing with infants, not every child should have a phone for the fact that it is to much money, for an infant, and possible dangers if an infant does get a cell phone. I asked my opponent constantly, "What about infants"? My opponent did not respond to this question, making his or her argument flawed.

And finally, to provide a source of why a child should not get a phone, besides infants, I like to please look at the following source. Stated under "5 Reasons Your Kid Should Not Have A Cell Phone", it states many down factors, where one is isolating themselves from society. Should a child recieve this fate? A phone is kind of like a drug, once someone takes it; they will get addicted to it. If a child was to get a phone at especially a young age, it would isolate themselves from society becuase of its addicting powers.

Adults don't have this effect because of having a more developed brain, while a child is still trying to develop that brain.

Source:
http://sahm.org...
Posted by Themeaman909 1 year ago
Themeaman909
I agree that they isolate children, but the safety factor is very important. I would give my child a phone for emergencies, but only if they where responsible. If they are still somewhat young, I would make sure they couldn't receive suspicious calls and could only call certain numbers. (this would only be true if they where under 14)
Posted by tashtash 1 year ago
tashtash
lol
Posted by tashtash 1 year ago
tashtash
lol
Posted by tashtash 1 year ago
tashtash
true
Posted by LearnLiveLove 1 year ago
LearnLiveLove
*prepaid phone. Haha, we aren't criminals....I hope o-o
Posted by LearnLiveLove 1 year ago
LearnLiveLove
I agree. It doesn't necessarily have to be an smartphone. It could be a cheap burner phone. In Japan, a lot of little kids walk to school. To make sure they are safe, many of the kids have a phone that's about half the size of an iPhone. You can do two things. 1.call your mom or dad 2. Pull the ripcord and call the police. Some of those phones even allow you to disclose your location at the press of a button. I don't know if America has anything similar to that. Overall, kids should have phones in case of an emergency.
Vote Placed by wipefeetnmat 1 year ago
wipefeetnmat
Rachelle1625SnaxAttackTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's failure to give set definitions enabled Con to give a valid (and unchallenged) argument and earned them the point.
Vote Placed by hcd1997 1 year ago
hcd1997
Rachelle1625SnaxAttackTied
Reasons for voting decision: He was very convincing
Vote Placed by AgentRocks 1 year ago
AgentRocks
Rachelle1625SnaxAttackTied
Reasons for voting decision: Nice Argument