Phil
attatae

Every Debate.org member should invite all of their friends to join the site.

attatae
Started: 8/31/2008 Category: Technology

Phil

Pro

If you love this website (www.Debate.org) like I do, and you are a registered member, then you should use the 'Invite My Friends' feature to send an invitation to all of your friends to join the website. Debate.org is now a social networking website, built around and driven by debate. I would argue that based on my 33-years of experience on this planet that 1 out of 3 people love a good argument in at least one of the categories listed on the website.

Arts
Education
Entertainment
Health
Miscellaneous
News
Politics
Religion
Science
Society
Sports
Technology

Furthermore, Debate.org is a great place to debate a wide array of topics. Therefore, I would argue that enough of your friends would benefit from the invitations, that you would be doing them a disservice to not invite them. Choosing not to invite your friends would also be a disservice to the existing Debate.org community, since we're all looking for more content and site growth.

'Invite My Friends'
http://www.debate.org...
attatae

Con

Hey dudes! Whazzup! My buddy Freddy G told me 'bout this place! I was checkin' out the "People" area, and I can't wait to find some minors to trick into illegal sex! Haha, cool! I think I'll also prank debaters, curse in my posts, and send out lots of emails for Viagra rip-offs (I sell them, contact me for info)! Hey, anyone wanna help me spam for my new porn site too?

Greetings. I wrote the above to illustrate a very simple, but important point - debate.org members should do their best to only invite people they are think would enjoy the site and have something to offer the community. My dear opponent would have you believe that it's a good idea to tell ALL your friends about this site - well, this is a big mistake. Think about this - do you really know all your friends equally? The ones you know just a little about, they could easily end up being someone with the mentality of the paragraph above. Furthermore, you may even have a close friend who happens to be quite a carefree prankster, who you know would do nothing but goof off here, but alas, Phil would have you invite them anyway! Just rattle off emails to everyone you can say is some type of friend, who cares about screening them, we just need massive numbers! Come one, come all! What's that, they enjoy spamming racism and sexism and adult site links? Who cares, bring 'em over!

Keep in mind Phil is advising EVERYONE to bring ALL of their friends. Even if all your friends were debaters (which would be extremely rare), think about all the other current members who would have to skip any basic consideration process just because my opponent would have you think that sheer numbers are all that count.

Debate.org looks to be a great site with lots of potential. Let's try our best to keep it this way by inviting only people we think will enhance and enjoy the community, not just adding numbers for numbers sake.
Phil

Pro

Oh ye of little faith. I'm surprised to find so much cynicism from a (fellow) Republican...it's not in your nature. Not only is my opponent cynical about other people he knows, but he is also cynical about the technology at hand. I on the other hand have faith. I have faith in people. I have faith the new version of Debate.org, with all of its new security features and customer support team, will be able to keep spammers and scammers at a minimum. Just look at the voting method, whereby they've made it such that only members who confirm their identity with a cell phone can vote on a debate. That's genius if I say so myself. Furthermore, a website like Debate.org, with its prominent name, floating out there on the web, is more likely to be found by spammers and scammers on the world wide web, not from the friends of Debate.org members.

Last, but not least, my opponent is attempting a cheap parlor trick of parsing my words, "Every Debate.org member should invite all of their friends to join the site," instead of trying to argue the real point of this debate. It is obvious that when I say "invite all of their friends," I mean just that, not all of the people you have met and know, and happen to have an email address for them. I mean, invite your "friends", the people you know (and trust), the people you interact with, the people you would like to see on Debate.org. The quality of the person we as members should invite to Debate.org was implied in my opening argument.

Thanks for the fun debate 'attatae', and best of luck in the voting. Oh yeah, don't forget to...

Invite All Of Your Friends
http://www.debate.org...

Cheers
attatae

Con

6,239.

This number, as I write these words, represents the total member count of debate.org. I humbly request that you envision the utter catastrophe that would ensue if, disregarding any basic, fundamental considerations, the entire community invited every single person they believed to be a friend. Let us not be fooled, my opponent is clearly urging us to invite ALL of our friends in his opening argument, as absolutely nowhere does he say to invite only those who you believe would become quality members. Furthermore, one quick look at the title of this debate, which he himself penned, immediately makes clear his motives and wishes.

Please, do not let my opponent lull you into a false sense of safety with proclamations of site security features. At best, these things can only somewhat curb malicious computer programs. However, I speak of a much more monumental and serious threat - the inappropriately invited friend, here for nothing but trouble, trickery and third-rate, illegible posts. My rival would love to pull the wool over your eyes, having you think that rattling off invitations en masse is alright because hey, debate.org is a prominent name, people will come anyway. Well I say that there is absolutely NO reason for us to *invite* these types. Let us step off the 1967 VW bus, toss aside our rose-colored glasses, and take a good look at reality.

Instead, allow me to quickly propose a different course of action - we should invite only the people we think would come to this site, join, and flourish as community members. What's more, it should be irrelevent whether these people are co-workers, friends, family or whoever, and hey, if you don't want to invite anyone at all for whatever reason, that's ok too.

My dear opponent would also love to swindle you, saying yours truly is playing "tricks" - but alas, it is indeed my rival who has the extra card up his sleeve. Let us take a some of the things he made quite clear in his earlier post -

"Every Debate.org member should invite all of their friends to join the site."

"...send an invitation to all of your friends..."

"Invite All Of Your Friends."

Ah, it becomes quite clear what he means, especially after that 3rd time around. Site growth is great, but quickly turns sour when we sacrifice quality for quantity. Let us not be swayed by my opponent's well-meaning but ultimately destructive notions.

If you can read these words, I ask you this - are you prepared to invite every single person you call a friend, disregarding any basic consideration process, and have them all come read your debates and view the personal ideologies on your profile?
And are you prepared to put your trust in the other 6,238 members, that all of *their* friends will be good members as well? What of the members who right now are what we are trying to prevent, would you have them invite *their* entire network of friends over as well, all due to my opponent's starry-eyed argument?

Didn't think so.
Posted by bigtree 7 years ago
bigtree
Um... what if you have no friends? Voting for CON
Posted by Danielle 9 years ago
Danielle
Attatae, there's nothing personal about it lol.
Posted by Harlan 9 years ago
Harlan
I like the concept of this debate...in fact I think i'll start a debate endorsing:

Mentos, the fresh-maker.
Posted by PoeJoe 9 years ago
PoeJoe
Bad resolution and opening argument. Vote goes with CON.
Posted by attatae 9 years ago
attatae
theLwerd: yes, I considered both of those points, and decided not to use the first because it seemed kind of personal (for better or worse).

And yes, the point about invitation is true, but i left it up to the reader to already know this, and it doesn't substantially change much; besides, I didn't want to delve into the psychology of being invited and all that, I wrote quite a long ending argument already :)
Posted by Danielle 9 years ago
Danielle
Speaking of faith, I have 'faith' that debate.org will make Pro a lot of money without me having to invite all of my friends to join. Another interesting tidbit is that simply inviting all of your friends does not necessarily mean that they will all join.
Posted by brittwaller 9 years ago
brittwaller
I have actually tried with some of my more intellectual friends, but they read only my debates (and something else will usually catch their eye and they'll read it too) and never make a membership. I've even put the widget on people's pages, to no avail. Oh well:(

btw, In light of the chivalrous approach, can I get the following debate voided or something? I think my opponent would agree.

http://www.debate.org...
Posted by Labrat228 9 years ago
Labrat228
Non of my friends are good debaters, much like Codename H2O was before we got rid of him.
Posted by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
A Lot of my friends are trolls/spammers. :(
Posted by Rezzealaux 9 years ago
Rezzealaux
Nope, not a good idea. Most of my friends are "india"-type debaters.
Vote Placed by tsmart1770 9 years ago
tsmart1770
PhilattataeTied
Vote Placed by ChevySdyme99 9 years ago
ChevySdyme99
PhilattataeTied
Vote Placed by PoeJoe 9 years ago
PoeJoe
PhilattataeTied
Vote Placed by Rezzealaux 9 years ago
Rezzealaux
PhilattataeTied
Vote Placed by s0m31john 9 years ago
s0m31john
PhilattataeTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
PhilattataeTied
Vote Placed by Danielle 9 years ago
Danielle
PhilattataeTied
Vote Placed by attatae 9 years ago
attatae
PhilattataeTied
Vote Placed by UptownBrown 9 years ago
UptownBrown
PhilattataeTied
Vote Placed by Phil 9 years ago
Phil
PhilattataeTied