subjectname
toughenough

Every Single Word In the Bible is True

subjectname
Started: 7/6/2014 Category: Funny

subjectname

Con

Just up late and trying to have a little fun. I did a casual search, and didn't see that this has already been done.

Round 1 will be acceptance only
Round 2 will be arguments/rebuttal
Round 3 will be rebuttal/conclusion (no new arguments)

I will be taking the Con side of this debate, as I will attempt to show that it is not the case that every single word in the Bible is true.
toughenough

Pro

Yes it is true because God said it.
subjectname

Con

Only a clause, sentence (subject/predicate), or propisition can be assigned a truth value (ie true or false). A single word by itself can not be said to be either true or false. Hopefully this has shown that it is not the case that every single word in the Bible is true.

toughenough

Pro

Con said no word can be false. If no word is false, they are all true. Checkmate!
subjectname

Con

I said a single word by itself can not be said to be either true OR false. If we can say that a single word can be true or false, the concepts of "true" and "false" become meaningless.

Even the statement "all words are true" is a fully formed propisition that can be judged either true or false.

But the single word:

"all"

is not offering any propisition that can be assigned a truth value. And something that is neither true nor false is by default not true (also not false). Ipso fatso.

In conclusion: I believe I have shown that a single word, by itself, can not be said to be true or false. This is true of the words in the Bible, in the dictionary, in Moby Dick, or in any other book. Conversely, Pro has not demonstrated how a single word can be true, in the Bible or in any other book. Thank you for your time :)
toughenough

Pro

My opponent just admitted that no word he stated the entire debate was true. he refuted his own argument and therefore can be ignored appropriately!
Posted by subjectname 2 years ago
subjectname
@codedlogic: " However Pro did say every word in the Bible is true because it is the word of God and Con never addressed or refuted that claim."

You are correct that I didn't address this claim; first, it was said in the first round, which was supposed to be for acceptance only, so I let this go as simply being the premise Pro intended to argue from. It was never revisited as a formal argument during the debate period.

Also "Yes it is true because God said it." In this sentence, I took the first "it" to mean the Bible, as in the Bible as a whole. That would constitute judging the truth or falsity of the Bible as a whole, which wasn't something I was addressing. Whether or not the Bible as a whole is fully true or partially not true is still the subject of ongoing debate and research. Whether or not God actually said "it" (as in, said the whole Bible) is also something that would be impossible to prove or disprove. Also, that point was irrelevant to what my argument was. Also...you guys did notice I posted this in "funny" and not "religion" or "philosophy" right? :)
Posted by subjectname 2 years ago
subjectname
Pro got in a pointed last jab which only further demonstrated the point; yes no single word can be judged to be either true or false, but a complete proposition such as "no single word can be judged to be either true or false" can be judged to be either true or false. In this case, I assert that it is true that no single word can be judged to be either true or false.
Posted by Cazaam 2 years ago
Cazaam
Way to ignore the First Round Acceptance rule, Way to go! Vote on my opinion of First Round Acceptance :D
Posted by subjectname 2 years ago
subjectname
I may have said a little oops..."all words are true" is a fully formed propisition but not sure it can really be judged either true or false...I'd say this propisition is neither true nor false because in either case, it would lead to contradiction. If a statement is true, none of the parts of it should be false.

"Turtles can't fly"

Everything works out, and the statement is true. But if you make a statement that is objectively false, yet you say all of the words in the statement are true, that will lead to contradiction.

"A married man is a bachelor" ...an objectively false statement. So we know it can't be the case that every single word in the sentence is true. Specifically in this case, the word "is" can't be true, or there is an inescapable contradiction.

Just thought I'd clear that up before someone else called me on it.
Posted by TRUECRISTIAN 2 years ago
TRUECRISTIAN
cientists are talking about other planets like "Mars", "Jupiter", "Saturnus"(which sounds like Satan), "Venus" and so on, but does these planets really exist? I dont think so, cause if they were so big as the scientists describes them as, we would clearly see them in the sky! So i dont think they really exist, and frankly i dont care about it eighter. They arent even mentioned in The Bible, they are that unintresting, so why should we care? Also the scientists named these planets after pagan gods, which is just another proof that scientists are satanists and heathens. Those stupid scientists even claims that the sun is a million times bigger then the earth, then how come it isnt larger than a tennis ball when you look at it?
Posted by thenewkidd 2 years ago
thenewkidd
For me to say "every word" is true in the Bible would be very hard to swallow even from me who believes in the Bible.

Because I have no idea how to "prove" or for that matter disprove it as either you believe it or you don't.

"Jesus Turned Water to Wine".
Well you either believe that and it's true or you don't.. Impossible to go through every verse breakdown of the Bible and prove it.

Not even getting to the contradictions in the Bible where if you believe one verse would mean you couldn't believe the other verses.. I think it's literally impossible at that point to believe every word is true.
Posted by Sashil 2 years ago
Sashil
Woah! and just when I thought this debate was going to go untaken.
Posted by subjectname 2 years ago
subjectname
Hahah kinda why I put this in "funny" didn't want anyone to take me too seriously then get irritated. I'm going on vacation next week so can't really get involved in serious debate (may even have to forefit the one I'm currently in unfortunately) and still trying to get those three debates in heh.
Posted by Sashil 2 years ago
Sashil
lol I feel you have placed yourself in a comfortable position , instigator.
Vote Placed by Sashil 2 years ago
Sashil
subjectnametoughenoughTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con set an impossible case for PRO to prove.PRO by accepting this debate itself sealed his defeat.
Vote Placed by Codedlogic 2 years ago
Codedlogic
subjectnametoughenoughTied
Reasons for voting decision: Not really much of a debate here. Even if Pros argument was valid and every word con said by Con was false it would not prove every single word in the Bible is true. However Pro did say every word in the Bible is true because it is the word of God and Con never addressed or refuted that claim.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
subjectnametoughenoughTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's arguments were illogical.
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
subjectnametoughenoughTied
Reasons for voting decision: "All" has no truth value.
Vote Placed by NathanDuclos 2 years ago
NathanDuclos
subjectnametoughenoughTied
Reasons for voting decision: All I can say is lol. . . .