26pets
Brian314

Every action in life effects everyone differently

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

26pets

Pro

We can't determine by one simple outcome; the effect that its going to have on the population.
When people say things like
"is _____ music a bad influence on _____"
"does video games cause more harm than good"

We can not simply base on the effects of others as it may effect us differently.
Everyone matures at a different rate
Everyone has a different thought process
Everyone reacts differently to different actions
Brian314

Con

I accept this challenge, and look forward to an interesting debate.

We are debating that "Every action in life affects everyone differently." (I am assuming that my opponent meant 'affects' instead of 'effects' in the resolution). Therefore, if I can show at least one scenario in which one action affects two or more people in the same way, then I win this debate, because the resolution specifically states that for every action, everyone is affected differently.

I will now provide several scenarios in which the same action affects more than one people in the same way.

Scenario 1: Two astronauts are sleeping on the International Space Station in the same room when the hull of the station breaks open. Oxygen leaks out, and both astronauts suffocate and die in their sleep. This event affects these two astronauts in the exact same way- the effect is death. No human can survive without oxygen, and therefore both astronauts have died in this scenario. As they were sleeping, their experience of the death would have been identical as they were not consciously aware of it.

Scenario 2: A family is sleeping in their house in California, and on the other side of the country, in Florida, a man in which this family does not know and will never meet, is also sleeping. The man in Florida's alarm clock goes off. The alarm clock going off will have the same effect on all of the members of the family in California - absolutely nothing. The fact that this man's alarm clock went off will have no impact on this family in California at all. And therefore, the effect is the same. The effect is nothing.

I could come up with countless examples of situations in which the effect of a particular action is nothing, and therefore, there are definition actions that exist that don't affect everyone differently.

I'd like to look at my opponent's case now.

Her first states that we can't determine the effect that something will have on population. This is true. However, this doesn't mean that it's going to have a different effect on every single person in the population, it just means that we can't predict the effects.

She then moves on to say that any given effect may affect us differently. Once again, this is true. However, this, once again, does not support the resolution that every action affects everyone differently. It just means that any given action has the possibility of affecting us differently, not that it definitely will.

Finally, my opponent says that everyone matures differently, thinks differently, and reacts differently. Once again this is true, but my opponent is not accounting for the possibility that there will be actions that occur that do not depend on maturity, and do not require thinking and reactions from certain people.

Therefore, there are actions that exist that affect certain people in the same way.
26pets

Pro

26pets forfeited this round.
Brian314

Con

As my opponent forfeited the round, I ask that you please vote Neg.
26pets

Pro

26pets forfeited this round.
Brian314

Con

As my opponent has forfeited twice, I ask that you please vote Neg.
Posted by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
Pro's opening statement made the nature of "every action" clear; he was taking only about social influences. Con's argument was not a legitimate reading of the topic, given the opening argument. Pro could easily have won by pointing this out, but the forfeit left the argument unanswered.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
26petsBrian314Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
26petsBrian314Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con ignored Pro's opening statement, which made clear the nature of the actions being considered under the resolution. Con's argument could therefore have been refuted as a misreading of the topic. However, Pro forfeited leaving Con's erroneous argument unanswered, as well as losing conduct.
Vote Placed by BlackVoid 5 years ago
BlackVoid
26petsBrian314Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Obvious