LawsofPhysics
iamanatheistandthisiswhy

Every color is measurable

iamanatheistandthisiswhy

LawsofPhysics

Con

No, indeed, every color is not measurable. In fact, we could use Newton's prism to break white light and study the various wavelengths of each color (Model will be at bottom).

Black we can not measure. Black can not become any "darker". Also, for instance, in a room of darkness, if you illuminate it, even in the very least, it would no longer be black. It would be grey.

13_A_Newtons-Prism-Experiment.gif
iamanatheistandthisiswhy

Pro

I gladly accept this debate. My opponent has said we cannot measure black, and I agree. However, we should note that black is not a colour.(1) Black is defined as the absence of colour, so it is not a colour. As such any colour can be measured including white, which is a combination of colours.

To prove me wrong (i.e. that all colors are not measurable) my opponent will have to actually prove that black is a colour. This goes against the laws of physics, and as such the my opponent cannot win this debate.

I hand the debate back to my opponent.

(1) http://www.physicsclassroom.com...

LawsofPhysics

Con

Rebuttals:

"To prove me wrong (i.e. that all colors are not measurable) my opponent will have to actually prove that black is a colour."

No. I have to prove that not every color is measurable.

Hold on, though. Definition? That is the definition of darkness. There is no color defined as being the "absence of the presence of colours". Define every colour. And don't define green as the color between blue and yellow in the spectrum; colored like grass or emeralds or don't define any color as colors merging together, forming that color because you aren't defining. You are simply telling me what colors do so to create the color you attempt to define.
iamanatheistandthisiswhy

Pro

I thank my opponent for their rebuttal.

In my opponents rebuttal, he admitted that black is not a colour. He said that is the definition of darkness, or the "absence of the presence of colours". As such my opponent agrees with my previous statement that "To prove me wrong (i.e. that all colors are not measurable) my opponent will have to actually prove that black is a colour." I bring this up here, as this is the one so called "colour" that we are not able to measure, but my opponent agrees with me that black is not a colour and so my task is easier.

My opponent has pointed out to me that all he has to do to win this debate is to prove that not every color is measurable. This task is impossible for my opponent. I will show this impossibility in this round of the debate by introduction of the electromagnetic spectrum and specifically the visible region of the electromagnetic spectrum (see picture).(1) The electromagnetic spectrum in the visible light region is what wavelength of radiation an object gives off and what we discern as colour.(2) As such any electromagnetic wave of a specific wavelength in this visible region has a different colour.(3)

<a href=http://www.gamonline.com...; />
Picture source.(4)

For example, if we consider white in the electromagnetic spectrum it is the presence of all colours. Depending on the shade of red the wavelength is in the region of about 650 nm. Similarly, for green the wavelength is in the region of about 510 nm.(3)

It is important to not the following in conclusion of this round, humans are only able to discern wavelengths within the visible spectrum. We are also able to measure any wavelength in the visible spectrum. Every wavelength in the visible spectrum correlates to a colour that we observe. As such we can measure any colour.

I hand the debate back to my opponent.

(1) http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov...
(2) http://physics.info...
(3) http://science-edu.larc.nasa.gov...
(4) http://www.gamonline.com...

LawsofPhysics

Con

LawsofPhysics forfeited this round.
iamanatheistandthisiswhy

Pro

It seems my opponent has forfeited this round of the debate.

As such I forward all my arguments from the previous round.

Back to my opponent.
LawsofPhysics

Con

LawsofPhysics forfeited this round.
iamanatheistandthisiswhy

Pro

It seems my opponent has forfeited the debate.

Fortunately for me physics was in my favor, so I could never lose this debate anyway.

Posted by PhysicistandMathematician 3 years ago
PhysicistandMathematician
Pro has broken white light into various wavelengths of each color. Every color is measurable. And since Con has agreed that black does not exist, therefore, he loses.
Posted by Yraelz 3 years ago
Yraelz
Is your position only that black is immeasurable?
Vote Placed by Mysterious_Stranger 3 years ago
Mysterious_Stranger
LawsofPhysicsiamanatheistandthisiswhyTied
Vote Placed by Tophatdoc 3 years ago
Tophatdoc
Reasons for voting decision: Pro showed that every color was measurable. He showed that black could not be measured because it is the absence of color. Con forfeited rounds; conduct point to pro. Good luck to you both in future debates.
Vote Placed by Enji 3 years ago
Enji
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit...