Every "good" person will get into Heaven.

I would like to argue that anyone, regardless of religion, will be accepted into heaven, granted they lived life as a "good" person.

Context: I've often heard people justify their involvement in religion to the thought, "If God is real, and I don't believe, then I will go to Hell."

This seems to be missing the point of Christian values, and I believe if anyone, atheist or Christian, is a "good" person, then they will be granted access to Heaven.

Round 1 is for acceptance.

I would like to base my first argument off of the values of Christianity and other religions.
Christianity's values usually involve respecting all people, be humble, be honest, live a moral life, be generous with time and money, practice what you preach, don't be self righteous, don't hold a grudge, and forgive others. These values generally coincide with those of other religions.
These are values that society would usually consider the makings of a "good" person. One does not have to be a Christian to practice these values, and most people on earth will appreciate these doings regardless of the well-doer's faith. If a Muslim were to follow all of these beliefs, and then be eternally damned for believing in a different deity, would that not be unfair?

I would like to base my second argument off of the perceptions of God, being as follows.
1. God loves everyone
2. God forgives all sins
If God truly loves everyone, God would not send a "good" person to Hell for simply not believing in him. It is understandable to God to send someone to hell if that person were, by today's standards, a bad person, but to send a kind, caring, loving, atheist to hell would seem wrong.
If God truly forgives all sins, then why should believing in him be an exception? If a good person were being judged at the pearly gates, people can be forgiven for murder, but not for lack of belief.

This may seem fair from a moral prespective, but it states in the bible that every person who is non christian will burn.

Mark 16:16 The one who believes and is baptized will be saved, but the one who does not believe will be condemned

Alex.Dallman forfeited this round.

Godisreal21 forfeited this round.
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
Punishing children for the crimes of the parents is immoral.
Killing one man for the crimes of an other is immoral.
When I commit a crime I must take responsibility for my own actions.
The Bible doesn"t offer any clear moral guidance. This has been the theme of this list. So this point pretty much goes without saying. However, it"s important enough that it needs to be stated clearly.
At no point in the Bible is there a coherent, systematic break down of morality. The 10 Commandments is the closest it gets, and even those (on a whole) do more damage than good, and the rest of the commandments following those 10 are maniacal and contradict other commandments elsewhere in the Bible.
Using the Bible as a moral code will leave you confused, self-loathing, illogical and fanatical. There"s a reason the Bible isn"t used as the state code of law anymore. That was tried, and it led to hundreds of years of oppression and misery culminating in the Inquisition. That wasn"t an accident, an anomaly or the fault of a less-evolved, less-knowledgeable culture. That"s the path the Bible leads to. If you follow the Bible you will become an immoral person. Period.
To this you might argue, "I know lots of Christians who are the nicest people you"ve ever met."
That"s because they"re not following the Bible. They"re following an idealized version of their culture"s values and projecting that into the Bible, not the other way around.
Posted by cheyennebodie 1 year ago
Adam put man on the road to destruction. As if no one noticed, there is evil in the world. That did not come from God. He paid the price for man, even though he was not responsible for his death condition. He is not saving us from himself, his hands are tied if YOU CHOOSE to reject his way out of the mess Adam put us in.Then YOU will have no one to blame but yourself. Of course you will not be in a happy mood forever and will certainly blame God, just like Adam did.
Posted by GDNE 1 year ago
No good people will go to heaven because it doesn't exist.
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
A truly moral choice, cannot be made on the basis of seeking rewards and certainly cannot be made in hopes of attaining an eternally blissful afterlife. If a person does things merely for a reward, their choice is based upon selfishness, not moral values.
The only way to avoid eternal punishment for sins we never committed from this all-loving God is to accept his son"who is actually himself"as our savior. So " God sacrificed himself to himself to save us from himself. My b.s. detector is going off.
Posted by cheyennebodie 1 year ago
That is not biblical. God says that he is not holding anyone's sin against them.Jesus said there is one sin that has to be answered for. He said in the 15th chapter of John, " when the Holy Spirit comes he will reprove the world of sin, because they believed not on me , or the word of God.That is the only thing God will ask, what did you do with my sacrifice, Jesus.

All mankind has the law of sin and death in their spirit man.Adam set man on that road. Jesus came and made a detour off that road. But he will never force anyone to take it.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: con proves that even a good person, if they don't believe, will be condemned.