Vaishnalijayaraman2023
FreedomBeforeEquality

Every region should have the right to independent statehood

Vaishnalijayaraman2023

Con

Independent statehood for every region could also cause war and where is the guarantee that the place shall get proper administration later? And what about unity in the country?
FreedomBeforeEquality

Pro

I must side with some of the concerns from the comment section, that I am confused with your stance on this topic. I can, however, go both ways on this topic. I accept and would hope that your next set of arguments paints a better picture as to your stance.

From what I can tell, you seem to suggest that every region should not have the right to independent statehood (I'll say Sovereignty) on the grounds that it could cause them to have to go to war, that they have no guarantee of a proper government system afterwards, and that their unity or sense of nationalism might be damaged in some way.

Please correct me if these are not the points you were trying to convey. Ill gladly listen to whatever further arguments you may want to add and will make my rebuttals in round 2.
Vaishnalijayaraman2023

Con

Sorry, i couldn't convey my view clearly, but I was in a hurry. Sovereignty is a part of nearly every democratic country, but what I mean to say is partitioning of states (like the Telangana and Andhra Pradesh division) could have also been dealt in better ways. Let"s focus on the Andhra-Telangana issue. If the government of India or the ruling party of Andhra had looked into the matter and tried to bring the state together and worked with the people of Telangana, the partition wouldn't have been necessary. We can always work through our problems if we have the will and we do our best. If given this right, people can also divide a state into many for different religions, chaste and for other different reasons. Enmity between states (like the Kaveri Dispute between Karnataka and Tamilnadu) can also take place which as I said above is why the unity of India (in this case) would be at stake.

(NOTE-The examples given here are from India)
FreedomBeforeEquality

Pro

FreedomBeforeEquality forfeited this round.
Vaishnalijayaraman2023

Con

Vaishnalijayaraman2023 forfeited this round.
FreedomBeforeEquality

Pro

Vaishnalijayaraman2023

Con

FreedomBeforeEquality

Pro

Vaishnalijayaraman2023

Con

FreedomBeforeEquality

Pro

Posted by Vaishnalijayaraman2023 2 years ago
Vaishnalijayaraman2023
And I'm extremely sorry for making the debate short.....
Vaishnalijayaraman2023
And one more thing... I took the con side because i wanted to see through the eyes of the 'ENEMY' And to find what my opposing team would say....
(I know its wrong to debate not for the debate itself, but for gaining ore points...)
This topic was a part of the INTEGRATED SKILL DEVELOPMENT SCHEME(ISDS), a debate competition (as far as i know in India). Being a part of the debate club in school i have to debate against the topic NEXT WEEK! So yeah... this is why my arguments were rushed (schools and classes) and STUPID.
Vaishnalijayaraman2023
Hey, sorry about the time, thing but i had to have an opinion on the topic by the end of last week for a debate. And I wouldn't mind continuing over her or making a new debate......
Either way, I am not talking about independence and sovereignty, A state has every right to be independent, what i'm trying to say is that each and every region (KEYWORD REGION not STATE) should have a right to independent statehood.
For Example, as said above Telangana and Andhra Pradesh. Telangana was a region joined with another state-ish region called Andhra to form a new state in India called Andhra Pradesh. But as the region was underdeveloped and had the following view of the situation -
(http://www.telangana.com...)
This could have been avoided, this could have started some tension between Andhra and Telangana and lead to the harm/death of innocent lives. Of not the ruling party of A.P, at least the government of India could have done something.
Posted by FreedomBeforeEquality 2 years ago
FreedomBeforeEquality
Argh you're killing me. The debate period is over by the time I even get home from work to check this! I'll never accept another debate with a period less than 24 hers ever again. :(
FreedomBeforeEquality
Sorry ... just realized the short debate period.

Is there some reason you value nationalism and unity over independence and sovereignty?
Posted by Libertatis 2 years ago
Libertatis
Just to be clear are u saying every state shouldn't have the right to become independent from the United States
Posted by kasmic 2 years ago
kasmic
Good topic, I had a similar debate a while back. http://www.debate.org...