Every school must have a uniform

This debate is about whether it is necessary to have a strict school uniform for every student in a school or not. I will be arguing for the motion.

I believe that uniforms should not be necessary, as having unique and different clothes lets a student express themselves, and be comfortable, and also to have the responsibility of having their own choices, and not be just put into the same group as everyone else, wearing the same clothes. It is very similar to freedom of speech, students should be allowed to wear what they want, within reason, and also saves the families of students money as school uniforms tend to be expensive.

Also, just to shed some light on this. For older students nearing the end of school, how can we expect them to make important life decision when they can't even choose their own clothes?

Thank you for accepting my challenge.
I will be giving five reasons to support my motion that school uniforms are necessary in schools all over the world
School uniforms keep students focused on their education not their clothes .This is applicable mainly for the older students who need to focus on their studies or whatever they are interested in, to achieve their goals rather than wasting their time in front of the wardrobe thinking about what clothes to wear. It is not necessary to take decision of choosing clothes while going to school. That does not make someone independent. If they really want freedom to choose their clothes then they can do it while going to parties, picnics etc.
School uniforms does not allow students to distinguish themselves as rich or poor. When all students are dressed alike, competition between students over clothing choices and the teasing of those who are dressed in less expensive or less fashionable outfits can be eliminated. In a 2013 survey by the National Association of Elementary School Principals (NAESP) and uniform manufacturer Lands' End, 86% of school leaders said uniforms make "a significant, positive impact on peer pressure," and 64% said uniforms reduce bullying.
School uniforms make students disciplined and a sense of unity is incorporated into them. They identify themselves as the part of a team by wearing a uniform.
School uniforms can save parents money. Parents can reduce their financial burden when their children are limited to wearing one simple outfit every day. A national 2013 survey of 517 US school leaders found that 94% of those surveyed believe "one of the main benefits to parents is that school uniforms are more cost-effective than regular apparel."
School uniform makes the student punctual so that he or she may dress up quickly and reach the school at right time.
I return this debate to my worthy opponent

Thank you for this argument, which I hope that you are enjoying it as I am.

I applaud your well thought out argument, but to respond firstly, to your initial point that students should focus on their education rather than their clothes. This is true, but students aren't going to be any more productive in the morning than thinking of what the wear in front of the wardrobe. Like I said again, we can't expect students to easily adapt to adult life where they will need to pick their own attire, as well as make many other decisions, when months before, they had to have many things picked out for them.

A survey on whether students would rather uniforms or not by Kids USA (Scholastic) has also resulted in most students choosing no.

I simply can't agree with my opponents point about school uniforms being more "cost-effective" than regular apparel, as whether or not there is a school uniform, students will always have their everyday clothes, and many students would prefer them, in a matter of whether they feel more comfortable or more like themselves. School uniform is just adding more items of clothing to a parent's shopping list and financial burden.

Encouraging a student to take on the responsibility of choosing his/her own clothes should be a good thing, to encourage and teach organization, so that clothes are set out for the next day for example, so that students may still be punctual and reach school on time.

I return the debate to my opponent.

Thank you for replying so fast to my argument and yes I am very much enjoying this debate.

I have put my argument against my opponent in three points.

I would still emphasize on the fact that school uniforms are more cost effective. Some students try to dress according to the latest fashion in order to fit in the school.Unfortunately, many do not have the means to do so and may fall victim to peer pressure or bullying.

In fact, surveyed school leaders with a school uniform or formal dress code policy in place believe their current policy has made a significant, positive impact on peer pressure (86 percent) and bullying (64 percent).

Recently the Liberal Democrats held a conference about the cost of school uniforms across England. The education minister David Laws is to issue new guidance to end the practice of using a single uniform supplier, enabling parents to shop around for uniform. If schools decide to change their uniform, for example with a new emblem or colour, changes should be restricted to one or two items, preferably with sew-on logos. Changing from a one-supplier system could help families with the cost of school uniform.

School is a place where one needs to be disciplined. This is what helps a student to focus in his life and take important decisions. Only Choosing clothes does not make a person independent.

A report shows that

School uniform or formal dress code policy has made a positive impact on the following:

• Classroom Discipline (85 percent)
  • Image in the Community (83 percent)
  • Student Safety (79 percent)
  • School Pride (77 percent)
  • Student Achievement (64 percent)
  • Attendance (44 percent)

School uniforms are not fashionable but the students look smart and confident in their uniforms. To show their individualism they can do innovative work that will benefit their schools wearing their uniforms proudly.

So I conclude by saying that school uniforms are necessary for all the students.

ilyas4156 forfeited this round.
Posted by belwilliams 6 months ago
I believe that school uniforms are necessary as school is for working and not a fashion show.