ATM
Kebenzis

Everybody is selfish

ATM

Pro

I claim that even though there are people who seem to be righteous, that certainly are not selfless. Hence my argument that everybody is selfish. It is simply the fact that people don't realize it as they are too self involved.
Definition of selfish = Acts committed by people are not without motive.
Kebenzis

Con

I actually agree to my opponent's premise to a certain extent. My opponent claims that people only do good things because there is something that's expected in return. People sometimes don't realized that their actions are too self involved which is true but what my opponent is proposing is that EVERYBODY is selfish which assumes that every individual on earth is a selfish individual.

Not quite, my reason is because everyone does not have the same intentions as others, some commit good deeds because it's within their nature to do so or its something that's instilled into their family/religious teachings on how to properly be a good person; there are SOME nice people out there in the world that do not think for themselves. Though this is rare today to see people do good things because it's natural, there are a few individuals who are willing to do so.

I would like to have your argument elaborated a little more so I can develop a more stronger argument.
ATM

Pro

To elaborate, I would give an example of people who do, do good things for others. Even if one does perform a selfless act, (or what seems to be a selfless act) there is always some part of them that feels like they deserve something in return. If a person is nice and they let a driver in in front of them, which by the way is actually the road rules. They are not being nice just obeying the road rules. They still feel like they deserve a wave. The excuses they will use will be oh well it's just common courtesy to give a wave. That is just their way of saying I did something nice now where is my reward.
And for somebody to be truly and fully selfless then they would be able to do a favor of any sort for someone and walk away without even the smallest of acknowledgement. This does not exist.
This is why I say that people are selfish. People actually do good things in order to get a reward of some sort. Even if the reward is to make themselves feel nice. Yes they did it to feel good about themselves. That was the goal to gratify themselves. Therefore selfish.
Please convince me I'm wrong. This is one debate that I would like to have my mind changed on.
Kebenzis

Con

Kebenzis forfeited this round.
ATM

Pro

ATM forfeited this round.
Kebenzis

Con

Kebenzis forfeited this round.