elinpetronella
Taylur

Everybody needs feminism

elinpetronella

Pro

Some of you may have interpreted the whole feminism- thing wrong. Feminism is not about hating men; it is about gender equality. I want everybody to realise this and also explain to me why anyone would be against it.
Taylur

Con

Heya, I'm accepting this challenge because I'm interested in hearing your views and open to changing my beliefs on feminism, providing you can convince me. I don't mean to offend anyone, and I'm writing this argument in the spur of the moment as it comes into my mind.

I'm against feminism in Western society because I do not believe that women suffer from oppression or unfair treatment. I actually find the opposite -- women are generally 'looked after' in society and take precedence before men. Some feminists claim that this is patronising, but I see it as a chivalrous gesture. Men and women are not equal physiologically; women, in general, are less muscular and therefore physically weaker -- this is why, in my opinion, women are generally looked at as being more fragile than men.

Some feminists claim that there are more men occupying high-up roles in the workplace, but I believe this correlates with the fact that many women choose to become dedicated mothers. Feminists may also go on to say that society's view of motherhood is sexist -- men should take just as much of a role caring for children -- but I find that many women are willing to give up a career due to natural mothering instincts that are generally more innate for women. My hypothesis, although sounding rather pessimistically on men, is that female brains evolved over time to be more broody because the male was only needed to fertilise the egg. By the time the baby was born, the male may or may not have been around, but the female would always be there upon delivery (obviously). The animal kingdom shows many signs of females raising and adopting offspring, even when they are from varying species. [1] [2]

I'm not against women's rights. I just think that there's not many rights that women are deprived from. Obviously, a man is more likely to be hired as a security guard due to general (and correct, I believe) perceptions of muscular strength. A woman is more likely to be hired as a midwife, due to perceptions as well as a general preference for pregnant women to disfavour men. Examples go on.

I've tried to speak as generally as possible. I went off on a little tangent with the evolution and psychology of the male and female brain, but I think it's relevant in proving that some of society's perceptions have real reasons behind them.

[1] - http://news.nationalgeographic.co.uk...
[2] - http://www.care2.com...
elinpetronella

Pro

elinpetronella forfeited this round.
Taylur

Con

Opponent has forfeited.
elinpetronella

Pro

elinpetronella forfeited this round.
Taylur

Con

Opponent has forfeited.
elinpetronella

Pro

elinpetronella forfeited this round.
Taylur

Con

Opponent has forfeited.
elinpetronella

Pro

elinpetronella forfeited this round.
Taylur

Con

Taylur forfeited this round.
Posted by vekoma123 3 years ago
vekoma123
I really wish I was able to find this debate sooner. Would've loved to take the 'Con' side.