AmIRight
lyticKritik

Everybody should tell the truth all the time

AmIRight

Pro

This debate is inspired by the movie: "The invention of lying"

Think of a world where no one ever lies. People don't even think it's a possible thing to say something which is not true.I think, for a change, it will be nice to live in this kind of world

Here's why I think it's a good thing:
1. If everyone always tell the truth, we will have better relationships. Most of the arguments you have with the closest people (family, close friends, love partner) consider lying and hiding the truth. Once you are not able to lie - your relationship gets better !
2. If everyone always tell the truth, we will waste less time. When you go to a job interview, or a first date - if the other side doesn't think you are right for what they need, they will immediately tell you, that way you won't sit at home, waiting for the phone to ring, or go to a second date when there is no chance.
3. If everyone always tell the truth, we will be calmer. Every time you meet a new person you get worry - what if he is not what he claims he is ? For guys - Having sex with a girl, she tells you she's on the pill - and what if she's lying? For parents - Your kid tells you he goes out with his friends to a movie. and what if he get there on a motorcycle which you don't approve, or he goes to smoke cigarettes far away? No more worries ! What they say - it's all true !
lyticKritik

Con

Honesty isn't always the best policy. Nobody wants to hear that they look heavier or less attractive. People who are honest all the time are considered blunt, antisocial, and pathological. Modern society is all built around lies. The movies you watch are people acting, and acting is a person pretty much lying to make people believe he/she is another person. There has also been studies that prove that depressed and mentally unstable people are more honest that mentally stable and happy people, meaning lying is actually good for a person. People who are masters of deception are proven to be more socially accepted than people who are honest all the time.

Now to attack my opponents arguments.
  • My opponents first argument was “if we tell the truth we will have better relationships.” My first answer to that is that people even in the most honest relationships have to lie sometimes. Maybe its your anniversary with that special somebody and for some reason you totally forgot and they ask you if you made the dinner reservations. You cant lie so you tell them that you forgot about it, because remember lying is not telling the full truth. They will be mad at you, while if you had lied you would still have time to make those reservations and enjoy your anniversary. My next answer is, if your loved one asks if they look fat (and they do in that horrid dress) you cant lie and will have to say “yes you look fat, and by the way I hate the dress” they WILL get mad at you. If you had lied, they would love you for at least a few more hours.
  • My opponent second argument was “we save time” it is a proven fact that humans know what others want to hear, lets say someone gives a speech and they did okay and they come up and ask you if they did good. If you cant lie you will say “no” because they did in fact do okay not “good” they will keep asking until they hear what they want, whereas if you had lied and said “yes” they would be pleased and stop asking questions.

• My opponents last argument was “we will be calmer” that is a lie. If we tell the truth all the time well it leads to depression. If you are honest with yourself about everything, you will end up depressed. Just think about it, you did this wrong, you failed a test. You forgot that assignment, you aren't all that bright. If you are truly honest all the time, well lets just say that your thoughts will be flooded with the bad things you did. Why because you cant lie, no even to yourself. Which brings me back to my argument Honesty isn't always the best policy.

AmIRight

Pro

It's true that reality is sometimes brutal, but it doesn't mean we should ignore it because it's unpleasant. It also might be true that the most mentally stable people are those who lie, but you should keep in mind that kids are also telling the truth all the time. You can't really say that kids are less happy or unstable. Moreover, I think that an honest person will feel better about himself if he'll be able to tell the truth rather than lie. If everyone were always telling the truth, it will be socially acceptable to tell the truth even when it's unpleasant, and the honest people will be the more mentally stable and happy.

I'll now respond to my opponent:
1. My opponent claimed that you lie in order not to hurt or get hurt. If you ask your partner about how you look in this outfit, you want to know what your partner really think about it. If you don't look good in that dress, and you'll go outside wearing that dress, than everyone will see you looking bad in that dress.

2. My opponent claimed that people will keep asking the same question until they'll get the answer they want to hear. I say, if we'll tell the truth all the time, in order to get the answer we want to hear, we will actually have to make a change. If I had a bad speech and everybody tells me I went good, I'll never get better, But if when I ask, I'll be told I was bad, next time I'll do my best to improve myself.

3. My opponent claimed that knowing the truth might cause depression. Even in our world today, sometimes you fail, and people get to tell you that whether it's a test, or a job interview or a date. And it happens to everyone. There's no single person who had never experience failure. I even believe that some of this failures happens because of lying. Your mother tells you that you sing beautifully, you go to American Idol, now everyone can hear how badly you sound, laugh at you and it's on national TV. That may cause a bugger depression than if your mother would have told you from the beginning that you don't sing all that good...
lyticKritik

Con

lyticKritik forfeited this round.
AmIRight

Pro

As you all can see, after I refute my opponent's arguments, they couldn't find any other arguments to prove their opinion, or find new arguments to convince you otherwise.

I have no further arguments, and has no more arguments to refute.
lyticKritik

Con

lyticKritik forfeited this round.
Posted by famer 3 years ago
famer
The word "EVERYBODY" makes this debate close to impossible for you to win... Regardless of the strength of your arguments.

If Con can show even one scenario in which one person, making at least one lie should occur, CON automatically wins the debate if you are unable to successfully refute that argument/scenario.