PepePopo2012
lord_megatron

Everyone is actually lonely

PepePopo2012

Pro

In the end, all of us are alone since beginning to the end. No one except us know who we truly are, no matter how much time you spend with someone, you'll never truly know them and they'll never know you. You're the only who understand yourself, the only one who you can be 100% you is just you. That's simply because we're all different people, with different perspectives.
So no matter what, in the end you're all alone.
lord_megatron

Con

lonely = sad because one has no friends or company.
source- https://www.google.co.in...
In a world of 7 billion, it is extremely unlikely that a person doesn't have friends or company. Or even if they don't have company, they have learned to live life like that and are not sad. It doesn't require you to know a person to socialize. Even a person doesn't know about their different moods and how they come off on the outside. While socializing does improve moods, it is overrated and I would rather go it alone. And I am not sad or lonely when going it alone. There are many others as well.
PepePopo2012

Pro

I didn't get your source, since it is only "google from India" but I'll assume you google for "lonely" a read the first definition you found and then copy paste it here. I was talking about the second definition "Without companions; solitary" (source - you can google "lonely" again read the second definition instead).
You can feel without companions or solitary, even when you're surrounded with people because no one gets you. That's a truth a lot of people experienced at some point in their life, and the fact there are millions of persons in the word won't change how you feel. I'm not saying that feeling lonely instantly calls for feeling sad, but you do feel isolated from the rest of the world because your ideas and opinions with everyone else differ so much, and that feeling of isolation is a kind of loneliness.
lord_megatron

Con

Difference is what unites us. If everyone had the same ideas and views, the world would be so boring and there would be few global issues to tackle. And anyways, why would people need companions at all? The early man foraged for himself, he was able to live for long without other humans, was he not? I will tell you why we feel different when we are alone. It is because that our strength is in numbers. Alone, we feel vulnerable. But in today's world, that instinct has outlived its purpose, and we must learn to avoid. No one goes their path alone, but out of all the developers involved in facebook, only mark zuckerberg has the great fame. In the end, we tread over one another for our own purposes, and we always go it alone. Just look at star scream. He survived in the transformer comics, didn't have any true ally and wasn't lonely.
PepePopo2012

Pro

I'm not discussing the need for a companion, my statement is that everyone is at some point isolated, you keep thinking of associating loneliness with sadness when I told you I was using the 2nd definition which is closer to "isolation". I'm not sure what do you mean by "early man" but man has form societies since ancient times, a very simple proof of this are all of the mortuary rituals of ancient tribes, for example -http://www.jstor.org... . Whether you believe in the Bible or you find evolution a more convincing argument, humans were always social beings, they were created in societies or evolved from social animals.
Further in your argument you deviate again about the feelings produce by loneliness when this argument's core is the fact that everyone is lonely from an "isolation" point of view. And later in your argument you deviate even more from this argument's core talking about transformers for some reason, probably because you spend a lot of time reading transformer's comic.
lord_megatron

Con

Okay I will try to avoid transformer references from now on.
Lonely as such is a feeling of aloneness. Moreover, you didn't post your definition in the first round, so technically my definition counts. Now that we have internet, no one is isolated. We live in societies, our world is connected. While there are people who have lesser friends, everyone has at least one person they can talk to. I meant by early man that humans took time to form societies yet they survived alone in different parts of the world. 2 billion years ago, there were no tribes or societies or connectivity. Maybe everyone was lonely at that time. But now with internet, new forms of entertainment and other methods of distraction, socialization is easier. And not everyone has their alone time. Think about jobs in which you have to work as a group, like the army, gangsters or software developers. It is unlikely that they would ever not have any friends or acquaintances to talk to. Sometimes despite talking to people you can be lonely, but that is because of sadness due to another reason rather than no contact with humans, Can I use a zombie apocalypse reference here?
PepePopo2012

Pro

I believe that you don't know what society means, so I look up the definition for you "the aggregate of people living together in a more or less ordered community." (source - Google it just like you did with loneliness). From ancient times people has live in societies, i.e groups of people living together, a simple proof are the rituals perform to the deceased ones. Even in ancient times people lived in societies, you could never found ONE man hunting by himself and surviving all alone in ancient times (except abnormal cases as people lost in forest or islands. Those man survive, however they suffer negative psychological effects). But the definition of society and whether people lived in societies or not is out of this debate.
For some reason you keep coming back to the fact that "people don't live alone = people is not alone" when I explained you that I was talking about the feeling of loneliness/isolation. As you seem unable to understand what I want to tell you I will give you a clear example of what I mean. Once I talked to an excellent mathematician who told me "you know, sometimes I feel kinda lonely since my subject of study is not know to anyone. There may be only 3 people in the world who know what I know, so everything I know I can't tell it to anyone". Another example is a musician I meet once who told me "sometimes I see myself forced to play very simple songs, because if I were to play a song with the whole complexity I'm capable of, people wouldn't understand my music". These are two examples where this people felt lonely because they were really advanced in a subject (math or music), but I believe that everyone has a certain knowledge of something they can't share with anyone else. I have certain knowledge of physics and mathematics I can't share with my friend, not even with people who is studying with me, since they're not interested on those subjects, so in that sense I'm alone/isolated.
I hope I have made clear what I mean, although it is the last round of this debate.
lord_megatron

Con

Exactly, even though the musician, the mathematician and you have company, you still don't feel satisfie. But you still talk to your friend about something else can't. Dissatisfying social interaction is a different issue altogether. You are lonely when you don't have anyone to talk to. I argue that due to the internet and large number of people, it is extremely unlikely that you have nobody to talk to. Pro doesn't manage to give a rebuttal, therefore vote con.
Posted by lord_megatron 11 months ago
lord_megatron
The starscream one right
Posted by PepePopo2012 12 months ago
PepePopo2012
May I add I found your analogy quite funny.