twocupcakes
1Devilsadvocate

Everyone who believes in God is Most Likely Delusional

twocupcakes

Pro

Everyone who believes in God is Most likely Delusional

Delusional
an act or instance of deluding.
2.
the state of being deluded.
3.
a false belief or opinion: delusions of grandeur.
4.
Psychiatry. a fixed false belief that is resistant to reason or confrontation with actual fact: a paranoid delusion.
1Devilsadvocate

Con

I want to thank 2cc for agreeing to do this debate, based on a statement he made in the religion forum.
Unfortunately people often make outlandish statements in the forums, & then refuse to defend them in debate, Kudos.
(Voters can give him the conduct point for that alone.)
(Although he left out the words "most likely" in the forum, but included them here, at least he's willing to defend the general idea)

Without further ado I will begin with my opening arguments, which, for this round will only address definitions.

Unfortunately the definitions that my opponent provided is inccorect & I could win by pointing out that according to his definitions the resolution doesn't make sense.

The definitions that my opponent provided (from http://www.thefreedictionary.com......, & that should have been sourced, or actually they shouldn't, as his definitions are not what the dictionary said.) are for the word delusion a noun, not the word delusional the adjective. (I know it says delusional on top of the definitions, but that's what my opponent wrote, that was not in the dictionary.)

Never the less I'll let that go, (for now unless I need it :)), & I'll even use his source to define "delusional".
(See how nice Christians are? not really. I'm agnostic of Jewish decent:p)

Definitions:

"
Adj.1.delusional- suffering from or characterized by delusions
psychoneurotic, neurotic - affected with emotional disorder
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farley clipart collection. " 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc." (1)

& for good measure:

"A delusion is a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary.[1] Unlike hallucinations, delusions are always pathological(the result of an illness or illness process).[1] As a pathology, it is distinct from a belief based on false or incomplete information, confabulation,dogma, illusion, or other effects of perception."(2)

(1) http://www.thefreedictionary.com......
(2) http://en.wikipedia.org......
twocupcakes

Pro

Thanks for accepting the debate and posting some definitions. Sorry, I used the wrong word, I must have been in a hurry to type it out. For good measure and a more robust debate I got the definitions fromhttp://dictionary.reference.com......;

de·lu·sion·al
adjective
1.
having false or unrealistic beliefs or opinions: Senators who think they will get agreement on a comprehensive tax bill are delusional.
2.
Psychiatry. maintaining fixed false beliefs even when confronted with facts, usually as a result of mental illness: He was so delusional and paranoid that he thought everybody was conspiring against him.

Good Luck!

Does talking to imaginary supernatural beings constitute a delusion/ being delusional?

Theists talk to God, have relationships with God and know God's opinions about various moral issues. If someone thinks they are talking to an magical being, but this is not actually happening, would they be delusional? Yes, they would. They would have a false belief that they are talking to someone, when actually they are not.

Are most theists right or wrong?

Most theists are wrong. Every theist has a different opinion about God, they cannot all be right. Some believe in Allah, Budah, Jesus. Some believe the Garden of Eden is in the USA, some do not. Some believe that God hates gays, some do not. Theists hold specific views about what God is right. No two theists have the exact same view.

So, not all theists can be right. At most, 1 theist has the exact concept of God and the rest are wrong.Because most people are wrong about there perceptions of God, most people are delusional.

Summary

If you believe something imaginary to be real you are delusional,

Every theist has a different view about what God is like,

Only one view can be correct,

Most views are wrong,

Most theists believe something about God to be real that is actually imaginary,

Most theists are delusional

1Devilsadvocate

Con

1Devilsadvocate forfeited this round.
1Devilsadvocate

Con

Unfortunatly this debate was made 3 rounds instead of the agreed upon 4.

It is being redone: http://www.debate.org...;
Posted by 1Devilsadvocate 3 years ago
1Devilsadvocate
Um the original debate was 4 rounds. This one is 3. Not gona fit.

& BTW I found what I had written, turns out that I typed it up on my word processor.