holla1755
Moelogy

Everything Can Be Explained Without God

holla1755

Con

It is not true that: everything can be explained without God. It's possible that if everything could be explained without God, we would have already moved on from the notion of God long ago. Some explanations are incomplete unless they include God as a reason.
Moelogy

Pro

Yes Everything can be explained without God making God unneccessary. Go ahead tell me some examples of things that you think only God can explain because I am obviously not going to give you the scientific explanation for everything in this universe.
holla1755

Con

Only God can fully explain everything. But God and the universe seem to be the same thing.

Every true proposition materially implies every true proposition. Thus, everything in the universe causes everything in the universe. Every true proposition can be explained, in at least the sense of "logically deduced," by the philosophical theory of everything, the set of all and only true propositions. See "Theory of everything (philosophy)," Wikipedia, last visited Jul. 16, 2017.

As requested, some examples of things that I think only God can explain are my current life situation, your participation in this debate, and the existence of the Internet. By "explain" in the last sentence, I mean "completely explain."
Moelogy

Pro

"Wikipedia, last visited Jul. 16, 2017."

Not the most reliable source

"my current life situation"

Well you came here by a process called evolution from primates. Basically a common ancestor between us and other primates evolved into different species and we most likely evolved from primates over time.

Here is a tiny sliver of evidence from one line of evidence among 23 lines of evidence.

http://www.talkorigins.org...

explanation in comments

" your participation in this debate,"

I accepted it by clicking "accept the challenge button" then I wrote some characters using a keyboard to type up my opening statements or acceptance round

"the existence of the Internet"

Computers have information. This information is physically transferred through tubes that connect all the computer in the world. Some computers have a wireless connection to the virtual WWW so no tubes so they can send this information without the need for tubes.
holla1755

Con

I clarify that the Wikipedia entry I referred to may lack the claim that "[e]very true proposition can be explained, in at least the sense of 'logically deduced,' by the philosophical theory of everything, the set of all and only true propositions." I made the referral because I referred to the Wikipedia entry to be certain of the philosophical theory of everything, and possibly because the article provides supporting evidence for my side of the debate in addition to that certainty.

I know about evolution. I know there's evidence for it. I know how you accepted this debate. I know how the Internet works. But all those explanations you provided are incomplete. Why did I come here through evolution and not by some other means? How did you get a keyboard? What is information?

Since everything causes everything, the best, fullest explanation for anything is everything. It thus seems reasonable to consider the universe to be God. God should be the one ultimate explanation for everything.
Moelogy

Pro

"Why did I come here through evolution "

Mutations and natural selection. Both of which have been observed in the case of sickle cell anemia. The sickle cell blood cell mutation gave them a survival advantage over those with round-shaped red blood cells because sickle cell blood cells do not carry malaria (Natural selection)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

"How did you get a keyboard?"

I bought it from the store.

" What is information?"

Meaningful facts or other mediums of knowledge.

"Since everything causes everything, the best, fullest explanation for anything is everything. It thus seems reasonable to consider the universe to be God. God should be the one ultimate explanation for everything."

In a way you are right because The universe is most likely eternal or came about as fluctuations from an eternal quantum vacuum.
Posted by Moelogy 5 months ago
Moelogy
Devil's advocate.
Posted by Moelogy 6 months ago
Moelogy
(A) Pan troglodytes, chimpanzee, modern
(B) Australopithecus africanus, STS 5, 2.6 My
(C) Australopithecus africanus, STS 71, 2.5 My
(D) Homo habilis, KNM-ER 1813, 1.9 My
(E) Homo habilis, OH24, 1.8 My
(F) Homo rudolfensis, KNM-ER 1470, 1.8 My
(G) Homo erectus, Dmanisi cranium D2700, 1.75 My
(H) Homo ergaster (early H. erectus), KNM-ER 3733, 1.75 My
(I) Homo heidelbergensis, "Rhodesia man," 300,000 - 125,000 y
(J) Homo sapiens neanderthalensis, La Ferrassie 1, 70,000 y
(K) Homo sapiens neanderthalensis, La Chappelle-aux-Saints, 60,000 y
(L) Homo sapiens neanderthalensis, Le Moustier, 45,000 y
(M) Homo sapiens sapiens, Cro-Magnon I, 30,000 y
(N) Homo sapiens sapiens, modern
Posted by levi_smiles 6 months ago
levi_smiles
Deities aside, how might anybody ever prove that everything can be explained? Doesn't everything need to be perceived and defined before it can be explained? Since no rational argument can be made that we know the scope or nature of the universe, how can we prove its mechanics with any confidence. Silly!
Posted by Lilieze 6 months ago
Lilieze
What the hell? I shall remind you that you have a debate with me. Comply or forfeit.