A.Rise
hookamogga

Evidence for Science/bible

A.Rise

Con

Honestly, there is a big difference between a compilation of bronze age folklore and science, which is backed up by unprecedented amounts of proven evidence. Back in the good old days, the catholic church made up everything they could to keep controlling people. Why would it make sense to believe in a myth that openly defies proven, rudimentary scientific principles when those principles serve a far better and relate-able explanation for life?
hookamogga

Pro

Religion is based on faith, right? The Bible does tell us to "Walk by faith" and "not by sight". So it's not evidence-based. It's based on your decision to follow something because you have faith in its truthfulness even if there is no concrete evidence. Let me give a secular example.

If you want me to deliver something to a friend, you wouldn't waste time conducting a year-long experiment to make sure I actually deliver it. You would have faith in me delivering the postcard to a friend. The same goes for religion. It's not because there are mountains and mountains of proof but because people make the conscious choice (unless forced, then that's different) that they want to be part of something they don't know the end result of.

Science depends upon things which have been 'proved' as 'solid' evidence. Religion is about following something you're clueless about but believe in anyway. When looked under with a scientific microscope religion does not measure up, and is considered 'rubbish'. However, when looked under a religious microscope science does not measure up and is considered 'wrong'. A reason one would believe science over religion is because there is something for them to see or measure-in this case, evidence-and it makes more sense logically, in our brains, than something we can't see.

If you're reading a book and you couldn't see the words but were told it wasn't empty, you could say, "logically speaking there are no words since I can't see them", but faith-wise you'd say, "I cannot see the words but I believe in my heart they are there."

I conclude.
A.Rise

Con

A.Rise forfeited this round.
hookamogga

Pro

hookamogga forfeited this round.
A.Rise

Con

A.Rise forfeited this round.
hookamogga

Pro

hookamogga forfeited this round.