harrypotterfantng
JoshuaC-F

Evolution Being Taught in Schools

harrypotterfantng

Pro

This round will be only for pro stating terms and con excepting the rant...er, debate, and stating his/her terms, if any. If for whatever amazing reason I do not except con's terms, I will forfeit. If con does not except my terms, then simply DON'T JOIN THE DEBATE!

This debate is deciding whether public schools should be allowed to teach evolution in schools. I will take the role of pro. Obviously the other person will be con. I do not actually have any real terms, except explaining the rounds, but if con does, please state them below.

Round One: Stating terms. No opinions here.
Round Two: First debate. State opinion and support that opinion.
Round Three: Response to round one.
Found Four: Response to round two/final statements.

I think you know the drill. Let the ranting begin!
JoshuaC-F

Con

I accept, good luck!
harrypotterfantng

Pro

Good luck to you too!

It is impossible to prove the Theory of Evolution as the complete truth. That is why it is called a theory. However, evolution should be taught in public schools because it is the only theory of the beginning of life that has solid evidence to support it. In other words, it is as close to fact as a theory can get.

Evidence that evolution is real include the FACT that chimpanzees and humans have a 98% DNA similarity, providing evidence that both our species are related; Fossils found all over the world show the gradual change in Homo sapien's features over millions of years, the brain cases of ancient fossils gradually increasing from chimp-sized to human-sized, all the fossils in between changing slightly throughout millions of years. There have never been fossils found that disprove evolutionary theory. Everything is connected.

These, among many other pieces of evidence is enough to be worth teaching to students, who are at school to learn in the first place.
JoshuaC-F

Con

JoshuaC-F forfeited this round.
harrypotterfantng

Pro

harrypotterfantng forfeited this round.
JoshuaC-F

Con

JoshuaC-F forfeited this round.
harrypotterfantng

Pro

To continue, the proof of evolution can be witnessed in the past fifty years. Scientific research shows that bacteria is becoming immune to antibiotics, which shows that natural selection has taken place (the gradual, non-random process by which biological traits become either more or less common in a population as a function of differential reproduction of their bearers, according to Wikipedia). This is eye-witness proof that evolution exists!

With this much proof to back it up, it is certainly fair that evolution is at least mentioned in schools. It should be taught without any debate because it is a solid enough theory to at least be considered a possibility of how us humans came about. It is understandable that it goes against what many people who believe in creationism think, but perhaps students could learn a bit of both, then decide for themselves what to believe?

Thank you, Joshua, for accepting the debate. I hope you can respond to this round and get a few thoughts in -Aleah
JoshuaC-F

Con

JoshuaC-F forfeited this round.
Posted by harrypotterfantng 4 years ago
harrypotterfantng
What happened to JoshuaC-F?
Posted by harrypotterfantng 4 years ago
harrypotterfantng
Thank you for that. I didn't exactly mean it that seriously, but I guess I should have thought of that.
Posted by wiploc 4 years ago
wiploc
Don't offer to forfeit. If your opponent tries to impose unfair terms, don't accept them. If he wants to impose any terms, he should discuss them here in the comments until you reach agreement.

Otherwise, so long as you offer to forfeit if you don't like your opponent's terms, somebody will accept the debate and immediately declare that you only get three words per round while he gets 8000.