Evolution is Fact

TripleDeker has forfeited round #2.

Evolution has been proven. It is a fact.

False. Evolution is a theory, and as such has not been proven. The definition of theory is below.

. the"o"ry
a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained.
"Darwin's theory of evolution"

A supposition. As in, a guess. An educated guess, perhaps, but a guess nonetheless. The theory of evolution is also full of rather large holes, which I will save for round two. The argument you presented implies that you have something else to back yourself up, so I'll leave you to it. Also, when you say "has been proven" who proved it? How? When?

Thank you for accepting my debate, I look forward to it.

In science, a theory is not an idea. "Most people use the word 'theory' to mean an idea or hunch that someone has, but in science the word 'theory' refers to the way that we interpret facts." Jaime Tanner-professor of Biology at Marlboro.
A scientific theory is a factual compilation of evidence used to support a natural occurrence. Evolution is a fact. It can be seen in nature and there is a countless amount of evidence for it. Claiming that Evolutionary Theory is false is like claim Gravitational Theory is false. However all the evidence and facts prove that both of these things are true.

Here are five arguments that prove Evolution, I ask you to disprove these facts and give a counter argument about how life occurred on Earth.

1. There is a universal genetic code that can be seen in all cells and all life on Earth. This is proof for a common ancestor.

2. The fossil record shows how animals have changed over time. We can witness evolution. Claiming that " we have not found all the fossil records and that you can not prove it without them" is incredibly wrong. It is impossible to get the entire fossil record. We can still witness evolution with what we have.

3. Genetic comparison. By analysis genes we can see that organisms are related to each other. Humans have 96 percent of genes in common with chimpanzees. This proves a common ancestor.

4. Embryology shows how we were once related to a common ancestor.

5. Bacterial resistance to antibiotics shows evolution occurring right in front of our eyes.

These all prove evolution. Try to disprove them. If evolution is false, how did life come to be?
Posted by Drago31 3 months ago
I'm on prodigyofaristotle's side!
Posted by evanjfarrar 3 months ago
Both of you are wrong.
Posted by TripleDeker 3 months ago
Thanks for the feedback guys. @Biodome Thanks for pointing that out. I actually was going to do just that! I will adjust my argument accordingly. I hope my opponent does the same. Thanks again, everyone. Keep in touch.
Posted by Biodome 3 months ago
I think they will just argue about the "holes" in Evolution. I doubt whether they will actually look into the scientific paradigms and what differentiates proof from evidence and whether theories can be considered facts.
Posted by missmozart 3 months ago
Perhaps prodigyofaristotle can manage to refute a truism?
Posted by Biodome 3 months ago
Evolution is not something you can prove. Science is tentative and it deals with the most likely and most supported explanations, also known as theories.
Posted by HeavenlyPanda 3 months ago
The fact that we are trying to convince ourselves that we are related to a bunch of hairy apes is really wierd.