michaeldkeim
Kinesis

Evolution is a "false" word because nothing ever evolves

michaeldkeim

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for debating with me. I will only continue this debate if my opponent agrees to NO use of profanity, plagiarism or any other type of deviance.
Now to explain my reasons/logic for making the statement that "evolution is a "false" word because neither ever evolves." This includes the earth, animals, bacteria or anything.

POINT 1: Nothing has ever evolved including the earth I believe the earth was created by God and nobody can positively prove otherwise. So the "creation" (or whatever you want to call it) of this earth or universe is indeed a faith of some type and my faith is that God created it therefore we are left to debate with the earth that we have.

POINT 2: Now that we are debating over our present earth we do have fossils and other artefact's that tell us about our earth and they all conclude in the fact that evolution never took place to make them. For example, and to head this argument off, one might say that dinosaurs are proof of evolution. However, they prove the exact opposite they have become "extinct" because they couldn't cope with their atmosphere (weather it was a "flood" or "big bang", "world earthquake" it doesn't matter) and so they perished not evolved.

POINT 3: Nothing on the earth right now is evolving including us (humans) or any other mammal. So if at one point "things" were evolving why did they stop all of a sudden?

So these are just a few points to get us started. Again I thank you for this debate and wait for your response.
Kinesis

Con

I thank Pro for the opportunity to debate. I accept the terms - deviance can certainly ruin a debate.

First, let me attempt to clear some confusion up. It is impossible for a word by itself to be 'false' - a word is simply a linguistic device to communicate something. A full belief or statement can be false, however, so I will assume the actual resolution is something like 'The theory of evolution is false, and nothing ever evolves'.

Also, Pro appears to be conflating two entirely different definitions of evolution. There is cosmic evolution, which describes the development of the earth and universe as a whole, and there is biological evolution, which describes the change in inherited traits of a population of organisms through successive generations - a concept that can be used to explain the entirety of biological diversity in the world.

With that, I will address Pro's arguments:

--> Cosmic evolution <--

First, the ability to positively prove that something is not the case does not make it a reasonable belief. I might believe that the universe was created by a trans-dimensional, bacteria loving goldfish - and you would have a hard time proving me wrong - but that does not mean my belief is justified. Similarly, you might believe that a triple-omni being created the universe, but that belief is unreasonable without positive reasons to believe it in the first place.

Taking your beliefs on faith means you have a high chance of accumulating false beliefs, since the number of false beliefs far outweighs the number of true beliefs. We need a reliable method of discerning truth from falsehood, which is where methods that have proven themselves again and again come into play; the most dramatic and prominent example being the scientific method. It is this that has discovered that the universe developed over approximately 13.7 billion years, and that life has developed through the process of evolution.

So, your reasons for believing God created everything in the face of scientific progress is unreasonable.

--> Extinction <--

Extinction is one of the primary features of the biological kingdom - 99.9% of all species have gone extinct in the past. Pro believes this provides a problem for evolutionary theory - not at all. The primary driving force behind evolution is natural selection, the brutal process by which organisms mal-adapted to their environment are weeded out. Some dinosaurs evolved into current creatures today, such a birds, while the rest were wiped out. This did not impede evolution - when the dinosaurs were wiped out, entirely new evolutionary niches were created for warm blooded mammals and others, ultimately leading to the evolution of homo-sapiens.

Not all species manage to evolve into new organisms - evolutionary theory does not predict that.

--> Evolutionary pause <--

Why has evolution stopped? There is a simple answer - it has not. Evolution takes millions, even hundreds of millions of years to take place. In our meagre lifespans of a hundred years at most, and over the recorded history that takes up a minute fraction of earth's history, the fact that there has been no dramatic evolutionary changes is entirely consistent with evolutionary theory. There are numerous examples of relatively small changes in organisms, (micro-evolution) and given enough time, these changes would necessarily culminate into larger changes from species to species, (macro-evolution). In a hundred millions years time, life on earth will look very different from now.
michaeldkeim

Pro

michaeldkeim forfeited this round.
Kinesis

Con

Unfortunately, Pro has been unable to respond. All arguments are extended to the next round.
michaeldkeim

Pro

michaeldkeim forfeited this round.
Kinesis

Con

Looks like this debate is over...
michaeldkeim

Pro

michaeldkeim forfeited this round.
Kinesis

Con

Well, that was fun. Vote Con.
Posted by Kinesis 6 years ago
Kinesis
He could be a dentist. :D
Posted by Awed 6 years ago
Awed
Michaeldkeim's profile says his occupation is in the Medical Field.

Shouldn't that mean he knows at least something about biology?
Posted by Brendan21 6 years ago
Brendan21
There is evidence in Humans that we have evolved. Wisdom teeth is a good example of what is currrently being made as a body part older plant eating humans would need, however only 5% of humans have a healthy set of wisdom teeth. Some people are even beginning to be born with no wisdom teeth at all.
Posted by Shiningdraco 6 years ago
Shiningdraco
Someone's obviously never played pokemon
Posted by michaeldkeim 6 years ago
michaeldkeim
*Nothing* ever evolves.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
michaeldkeimKinesisTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited leaving Con's arguments unrebutted. Pro didn't have a prayer anyway.
Vote Placed by I-am-a-panda 6 years ago
I-am-a-panda
michaeldkeimKinesisTied
Vote Placed by Awed 6 years ago
Awed
michaeldkeimKinesisTied