heidi
studentathletechristian8

Evolution is a proven fact against creation.

heidi

Pro

I have joined a debate team. I need to practice debating evolution vs. creation. I'm just getting started out so if anyone could help that would be great. Evolution is a proven fact because they found "Ida" which is the missing link. Even though Charles Darwin said on his deathbed that he made evolution up he was on drugs so he didn't know or understand what he was saying.
studentathletechristian8

Con

I thank my opponent for the debate and the readers for the opportunity.

As my opponent really does not make an opening argument, I will allow her to clarify exactly what we are arguing in the second round of this debate.

When my opponent states in the resolution that evolution is a proven fact against creation, she is probably referring to creationism, but once again, I will let my opponent clarify exactly what we are debating in the proceeding round.

I would like to ask my opponent to specifically address what we are discussing and hope to take part in an interesting debate. Thank you.
heidi

Pro

Yes, I was referring to creationism. How could this universe just come about without a designer? Everything that is designed has to have a designer. Is it not true that believing in creationism you are believing that some "God" has designed this universe? And if so then where did this "God" come from? He would also have to have a creator because like I stated before someone or something has to be the designer of him. And as science has proven nothing can just create something without using other objects.

Thanks for accepting the challenge and helping me with improving my debating skills.
studentathletechristian8

Con

I thank my opponent for her response and the readers for another opportunity.

My opponent's second round argument is still perplexing.

My opponent first quotes: "How could this universe just come about without a designer? Everything that is designed has to have a designer." Creationism is essentially the belief that an omnipotent Designer (or Creator) created all things. With the question my opponent asks, she is supporting creationism by essentially saying that this universe had to have a designer. That contradicts her stance for the debate and completely supports mine. When my opponent states that everything designed needs a designer, she is once again supporting creationism over evolution, which contradicts her stance and shows more support for my side of the debate.

My opponent then quotes: "Is it not true that believing in creationism you are believing that some "God" has designed this universe? And if so then where did this "God" come from?"
If one believes in creationism, then he/she essentially believes than an omnipotent Creator has created all things. This Creator is omnipotent and thus did not really come from anywhere, instead, the Creator essentially was there from the beginning.

My opponent further states: "He would also have to have a creator because like I stated before someone or something has to be the designer of him. And as science has proven nothing can just create something without using other objects."
Why would the omnipotent Creator have to have someone that previously created him? The Creator is believed to be existent from the beginning of time and thus separates himself from any explanations of someone creating him. My opponent's reference to science has a lack of evidence and really does not bring anything significant to the topic at hand. My opponent's final remark is actually quite confusing and needs further clarification.

I believe the victor of this debate is quite clear. My opponent has essentially provided no pieces of evidence to support her side while her arguments supported mine. I thank my opponent and the readers for the debate.
heidi

Pro

Let me just say you should read my comment; it will further explain my stupidity. :(

Believing there is a "creator" is just having a faith. If there is a "creator" why isn't he making new things everyday like he made the universe?

Scientist can prove that we have evolved from animals. The supposed "missing links" have been found. "Ida" is the fossil which links us to our ancestors. It was preserved in rock for 47 million years which they found in New York.

Have you researched the fossil records which can prove we have evolved slowly from animals?

What about the theory of survival of the fittest?

What evidence does creationism have? Creationism has no evidence.

Everything in life changes. So why wouldn't we have started out as animals and become humans when everything started one was but has changed to make up what we have today?

So far, the biggest complaint I'm seeing about evolution is that the theory changes. Yes, the details do change - Darwin had no concept of Mandolin genetics. There are likely other features we will discover in time.
What this complaint comes down to is that science can admit that it wasn't correct in every aspect. Evolution is updated as we get more info - and the second that info undeniably asserts a god, it'll go in the theory.

I know that Cairo is a city in Egypt. I don't know, or have a very poor idea, of what the residential district looks like - does this mean that Cairo is no longer a city in Egypt?
Just because details change, that doesn't mean that the premise is wrong.
studentathletechristian8

Con

studentathletechristian8 forfeited this round.
Posted by tmhustler 7 years ago
tmhustler
First Darwin did not say he made up evolution, its a myth

RFD
conduct= pro because of forfeit
s/g = con had better grammar
arguments = con because pro did not make an argument other than saying evolution was proved
sources= tie
Posted by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
Con was off to a good start, but defaulting on the last round left arguments unanswered.

Pro should use a call to authority, perfectly appropriate in a debate over a scientific issue. Cite the poll that shows 99.86% of the relevant scientists believe evolution is true and cite some of the major works supporting the theory -- get them from a web search.

The premise of creationism is that everything that exists has a creator. That leads to the conclusion that God had a creator. If God is an exception to the rule that everything has a creator, then we can just as well allow the universe itself to be an exception, saving the God step. Pro stumbled over the argument, but it was still understandable.
Posted by heidi 7 years ago
heidi
Good one, TheSkeptic.
HA! HA!
Posted by TheSkeptic 7 years ago
TheSkeptic
"First off evolution is not a proven fact."

Ha!
Posted by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
Would my opponent mind posting an argument within the next half hour? I too am pretty tired and it is almost midnight...

P.S. heidi, don't sweat it. Everyone makes mistakes ;)
Posted by heidi 7 years ago
heidi
okay...
WOW!
I must be super tired because I just started supporting creationism. Which if it counts for anything I do believe that God created this world. Yesterday I had to take the side of creationism and now I am thinking of all the reasons of why evolution cant be true. So let me try this again. And lets just hope I don't do this again at my next debate practice.
ha ha. that would definitely suck worse than this.
*chuckle chuckle*
Posted by Kleptin 7 years ago
Kleptin
Oh man. Instead of counting sheep, I might as well count Pro's fallacies XD

No offense Pro, you're doing well for a newbie, but don't have your hopes too high. We'll help you step by step, but it looks like you're in for a little fall with this debate.

After this debate is over, we'll post up tips and pointers, and afterwards, you should instate another challenge and see how much you've improved.
Posted by Alex 7 years ago
Alex
First off evolution is not a proven fact.

Second, even if it was proven correct, that does not prove creation, or Intelligent design, false.
studentathletechristian8
Is that supposed to have a positive or negative connotation?
Posted by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
Sorry, it's just that I know enough about sac8 to know that he can win this.
Vote Placed by tmhustler 7 years ago
tmhustler
heidistudentathletechristian8Tied
Vote Placed by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
heidistudentathletechristian8Tied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
heidistudentathletechristian8Tied