alexmiller887
sammsanders

Evolution is a proven scientific theory

alexmiller887

alexmiller887

Pro

In this debate, I will be arguing that evolution is a proven scientific theory.

Rules
1. No personal insults.
2. 1st round is acceptance.
3. No Wikipedia or Huffington Post.
sammsanders

Con

I don't believe evolution is a proven scientific theory. There is no evidence proving that we came from monkeys. Evolution is like saying that a flower was a blade of grass. There is a book in the world that nowhere in it does it even state that people came from primates. The book I'm referring to is the Bible.
alexmiller887

Pro

My opponent began his debate by confidently asserting that "There is no evidence proving that we came from monkeys." He then used the example of the Bible to attempt to refute my statement. By applying his logic that a book must be true, I can think of, just off the top of my head, several thousand academic papers and hundreds of books, asserting that evolution is true.

As well as this, my opponent has committed a logical fallacy in assuming that because something is unnatural, it must be untrue. Incorrect. Quantum Mechanics is the wackiest theory in science today, but it"s true and has been proved multiple times, just like evolution.

In fact, there is an enormous amount of evidence that suggests that we indeed "came from monkeys" as you disparagingly put it. My job in this debate will be to rebut your evidence and present mine.

First, a definition
Evolution
Achange in the gene pool of a population from generation to generation by such processes such as mutation, natural selection, and genetic drift.

Point 1
Our family tree can be traced back to Luca, the Last Universal Common Ancestor. (he was probably a bacteria) From there, we lose track until Lucy, Australopithecus.

http://upload.wikimedia.org...

This is startlingly human-like. However, scientists have carried out test which show that she knuckle-walked, just like a gorilla (you can see the rounded fingers), and probably had fur, just like an ape.

Point 2
Our genome is like a map of who and where we came from. We share 99.8% of our genome with apes (and 99.99% with pirates!), therefore it seems almost self-evident to assume that we must be close relatives of apes.

Point 3
We've seen it happen.
We've started, and are continuing an experiment known as the e-coli project. Basically, it consists of taking bacteria, and waiting. A long time. And sure enough, the generation 50000 bacteria grow about 100 times faster than Generation 1.

(1)http://humanorigins.si.edu...
(2)http://myxo.css.msu.edu...
(PS, thank you to my opponent for accepting this debate. It's going to be interesting!)
sammsanders

Con

Thank you for being my first official debate. Now yes I did use the bible because the theory of evolution may be true, but if you take a look around you on earth you'll see more creation and more beauty than if you look at evolution. Evolution may be true, but its more like adaptation the ones that are stronger and smarter will survive so to call adaptation evolution is the same thing. you mentioned bacteria yes it grows fairly quick, but if you get sick from a bacterial infection its treatable and its gone in a few days but if you get sick from a virus there's not a lot you can do to treat it.
alexmiller887

Pro

It is blatantly untrue to say, just 'because' creation might create more beautiful things, it does not mean it is true. I defined, in the second round evolution. I provide here a definition of adaptation.

1.
the act or process of adapting or the state of being adapted; adjustment
2.
something that is produced by adapting something else
3.
something that is changed or modified to suit new conditions or needs
4.
biology an inherited or acquired modification in organisms that makes them better suited to survive and reproduce in a particular environment .
Pay close attention to No.4.
Is that the same as evolution?
No.
Your rebuttal of the E-Coli source holds no water, because you failed to engage with the heart of my claim- that the E-coli grow faster because of the competitive environs. Instead you went off on a irrelevant tangent about how bacteria we can treat but virii we can't- I don't see how this helps your case.

==SUMMARY OF MY CASE==
I stated that we come from, the longest way back from bacteria, then to the hominids (the apes) and now us. I then said that we looked at our genome, and it's like a map of where we came from, and it definitively shows that we came from apes. I am , with 99.98% sureness an ape. And apes are, with 99.96% sureness human. There is no bone in the ape body that I do not share. Heck, there isn't even a brain lobe that is different.
Thank you to my opponent for a very interesting debate.

Vote Science. Vote Pro.

(1)http://dictionary.reference.com...
(2) Genome, Matt Ridley 1999
sammsanders

Con

sammsanders forfeited this round.
Posted by alexmiller887 2 years ago
alexmiller887
I came from an ape, in fact I am an ape. I am the species Homo Sapiens, so are you. Therefore we are both apes. Please don't just use a holy book in order to attempt to invalidate my argument. Thank you.
Posted by alexmiller887 2 years ago
alexmiller887
We all came from apes. I know that, because if we looked at your genome, we would see just the same percentage. Don't lift yourself too high sir.
Posted by accumulationofam 2 years ago
accumulationofam
May the Blessings of Allah Be upon us all, Allah Willing.

Al Quran al maidah[5:61]
Say, "Shall I inform you of those whose reward with Allah is worse than that? They are those whom Allah has cursed and on whom His wrath has fallen and of whom He has made apes and swine and who worship the Evil One. These indeed are in a worse plight, and farther astray from the right path.

So, You may have evolved from Apes., However I come from a linage not from Apes.
Vote Placed by Seeginomikata 2 years ago
Seeginomikata
alexmiller887sammsandersTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had logic backed by science. Con had no sources and only the flimsiest of logic. Do you seriously believe that you can judge what is true and what is not by it's "beauty"?
Vote Placed by WilliamofOckham 2 years ago
WilliamofOckham
alexmiller887sammsandersTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's case was a lot stronger than con's. Con's case rested on assertions which used no sources.