brendanfmcclelland
Dinkus

Evolution is valid science and should be taught in the public schools.

brendanfmcclelland

brendanfmcclelland

Pro

This here is an updated debate since my opponent forfeited on my last pro-evolution debate.
Dinkus

Con

I accept the debate and believe that Darwinism should not be taught in schools. I would like to thank you for giving the chance to debate this, as well as having a clear, interesting, and controversial topic to debate about.
brendanfmcclelland

Pro

Will thanks for accepting my challenge. Anyway just to get to the bottom line. I do not think creationism or intelligent design should be taught in public schools because:

A) In 1968 banning the teaching of evolution in the public schools was ruled unconstitutional by Supreme with the Epperson vs. Arkansas case.

B) In 1987, the teaching of creation science was ruled unconstitutional by Supreme Court with the Edwards vs. Aguillard case in Louisiana.

C) In 2005, the teaching of intelligent design was ruled unconstitutional by Supreme Court with the Kitzmiller vs. Dover cas in Pennsylvania.

D) Teaching creationism or intelligent design would force religious beliefs on a non-Christian student, and I don't just mean an atheist or an agnostic but even a Muslim or Hindu as well.
Dinkus

Con

Thank you for your response.

However, I'd like to point out that you really did not make a point there or provide much evidence. You only provided a timeline of events happening in chronological order. I fail to see how this shows that Darwinism should be taught in both public and private schools.

Time to bring up my own points. There's a major thing that prevents Darwinism from being taught in school. And it's called religion. You see, if you were to teach a class about this, do you realize how many parents would be pissed off? And this goes against a lot of religions, not just Christianity. Only 8% of people in the population are Atheists/have no religion. So you're trying to say "even though 92% of people have a religion, let's teach something that defies their own religion because SCIENCE!" Even IF God doesn't exist, this is still one of the most horrible ideas I've ever seen.
brendanfmcclelland

Pro

Firstly, evolution is not a religion. Secondly, most religious groups don't have a problem with the theory of evolution. Most Catholics and Mainline Protestants don't see a conflict between evolution and their religious doctrine. Surprisingly, Pat Robertson even thinks creationism is nonsense nowadays. So if a Catholic, Mainline Protestant, Buddhist, Hindu, or even a Taoist student was in the classroom and if evolution is taught they wouldn't go home and complain to their parents about it. They would simply learn and reason. And in case you haven't noticed a lot of the Catholic teach evolution and they teach it as fact.
Dinkus

Con

Dinkus forfeited this round.
brendanfmcclelland

Pro

You forfeited the last round.
Dinkus

Con

Dinkus forfeited this round.
brendanfmcclelland

Pro

brendanfmcclelland forfeited this round.
Dinkus

Con

Dinkus forfeited this round.
Posted by SoulTechNameIII 1 year ago
SoulTechNameIII
We shouldn't teach fact, because it goes against religion and some parents hate it.
Checkmate Atheist.
Posted by SoulTechNameIII 1 year ago
SoulTechNameIII
Well this is going to be hard, considering evolution is not a science. Evolution is a natural process that is studied by science. However, yes it should be taught in schools. Evolution is a fact and observable. The ancestry part is the problem most people have. That's typically due to them not being well enough educated on the subject to understand how it works and instead resort to the Bible
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 11 months ago
dsjpk5
brendanfmcclellandDinkusTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con ff more times, so conduct to Pro.