400spartans
JuanM1031

Evolution vs Creationism

400spartans
Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: Select Winner

400spartans

Pro

What is more valid? Evolution or Creationism? I think Evolution is more valid than Creationism, but my opponent will argue the contrary.
JuanM1031

Con

I accept this challenge to providing adequate evidence proving that Creationism is the only reliable explanation to our human history on earth. Good luck to the pro side.
400spartans

Pro

Let's look through my "fossil record", so to speak... AHA!

First of all, evolution is backed up by many discoveries and scientific papers. Here are two discoveries backing evolution:

1. Fossil Record

The fossil record includes numerous fossils showing evolution. From tiktaalik to Australopithecus garhi, it is clear that evolution is a fact.

2. Pseudogenes

Pseudogenes are like normal DNA code except that they are deactivated from a mutation. It is much like a spelling error in a book or a misplaced island on a map. If two species have the same pseudogene, it is very strong evidence for common descent, one of the key factors for evolution.

Here is one more link that will basically sum up evolution's vast collection of evidence:

JuanM1031

Con

My opponent states that evolution is clearly a fact because of the evidence we have in fossils. We know for sure that there are organism's fossils in the ground and many of them are weird looking creatures. But they can't explain one thing. Why dont they exist today.

Let me make myself clear. For example, if we supposedly evolved from apes and grew to be an inteligent species, why did the apes stop evolving. Why did we evolve to be intelligent organisms and apes not. Have they built civilazations? No. Have they learned how to speak a fluent language? No. I can say many other things. Now, I bet my opponent will say sopmething like there was a genetic change over time or something like that. Well, you still would end with the same product. There is no factor that could have changed the system. Logically if you breed two dogs your going to get a dog. Although maybe foxes or wolves are similar to dogs, you are still going to get a dog. There is no possible refutal in that.

My opponent also mentioned pseudogenes. These CANNOT CHANGE THE SPECIES IN ANY WAY OR FORM. They can cause change in the genes and maybe change a few things. Without these we would all look impresively similar. But have you seen a human give birth to another species? I haven't. This does not strongly support evolution.

Also, scientists estimate that it took some millions of years for apes to evolve into humans. This happened several million years ago, say scientists. So why haven't we kept evolving? Why hasn't our body genetically changed? Because evolution never happened. This leaves space for only one explanation. God created man in his image. (Genesis 1:26). We did not evolve, we were created by God.

Let me just say the source that my opponent used is very unreliable.

www pseudogene.org/background.php

Evolution to Creation to New Creation by: Ted Peters
400spartans

Pro

if we supposedly evolved from apes and grew to be an inteligent species, why did the apes stop evolving."

Because we didn't evolve from apes! Us and apes share a common ancestor, but we refer to that common ancestor as "ape-like"

"Why did we evolve to be intelligent organisms and apes not. Have they built civilazations? No. Have they learned how to speak a fluent language? No."

Evolution doesn't care about intelligence, civilizations, or fluent languages. It only cares about what survives and what doesn't. In short, EVOLUTION DOESN'T CARE ABOUT COMPLEXITY! Complexity is just a side effect of evolution.

"My opponent also mentioned pseudogenes. These CANNOT CHANGE THE SPECIES IN ANY WAY OR FORM."

You are right. They can't. But, what they can do is show us ancestry! Remember what I said, "If two species have the same pseudogene, it is very strong evidence for common descent."

"But have you seen a human give birth to another species?"

No. Evolution is gradual. In fact, if that happened, that would literally disprove the entirety of evolution!

"So why haven't we kept evolving?"

Because we have! We have evolved to develop Lactose Tolerance, (Yes, the first humans all had Lactose Intolerance) Blue Eyes, and Disease Resistant Genes! http://mentalfloss.com...

"Let me just say the source that my opponent used is very unreliable."

Let me just say that you can Google the transitional fossils listed in the article. About all of them should be valid.
JuanM1031

Con

My opponent stated, and I quote, "Evolution does not care about complexity".

Ok so lets say evolution did happen. Why did we evolve to become intelligent creatures? Why did our "common ancestor" give rise to two different species. Atheist's cannot explain another question. Where did our intelligence come from? You see, we have a conscious. Where did this come from? There was no factor that could have changed the process, thus disproving evolution. Evolution has a lot to do with complexity. When you say it does not care about complexity, you are hiding the fact that comllexity has a lot to do with the explanation of our origin.

My opponent states that pseudogenes shows us our ancestry, it does not prove that we come from ape-like creatures. Pseudogenes makes minor changes in ones body, whether the offspring has different colored eyes from its parents, color of hair, ect. Its as plain and simple as that.

He also said that we HAVE evolved. We have produced Lactose tolerance. This is correct but it took a very long time for that to happen. Anyways that is not proof of evolution. That is just an immune characteristic that has helped us adapt to this world. Those two are very different things.

God created the Heavens and the earth in six days. His omnipotent power is shown even today. The masterpieces he makes at dawn to the beautiful sunset at dusk. God created science, thus he is not part of science, which means that creation did happen.

From Evolution to Creation to New Creation
400spartans

Pro

Why did we evolve to become intelligent creatures?"

Because a higher intelligence meant a higher chance of survival. After many generations, natural selection killed off the dumb, because they, being dumb, couldn't survive.

"Why did our "common ancestor" give rise to two different species."

Because us and monkeys/apes could survive.

"Where did our intelligence come from? You see, we have a conscious. Where did this come from?"

http://cognet.mit.edu...

"Evolution has a lot to do with complexity. When you say it does not care about complexity, you are hiding the fact that comllexity has a lot to do with the explanation of our origin."

Maybe you forgot what I said in the previous round: "Complexity is just a side effect of evolution." That's why it does a lot with the explanation of our origin!

"He also said that we HAVE evolved. We have produced Lactose tolerance. This is correct but it took a very long time for that to happen. Anyways that is not proof of evolution. That is just an immune characteristic that has helped us adapt to this world. Those two are very different things."

It is not proof of evolution. It was evidence for evolution today. And an immune characteristic that helps us adapt to this world is evolution!

"God created the Heavens and the earth in six days. His omnipotent power is shown even today. The masterpieces he makes at dawn to the beautiful sunset at dusk. God created science, thus he is not part of science, which means that creation did happen."

Your evidence for God, or for the Bible being true? I don't see anything.
JuanM1031

Con

JuanM1031 forfeited this round.
400spartans

Pro

Extend all arguments.
JuanM1031

Con

JuanM1031 forfeited this round.
Posted by 400spartans 1 year ago
400spartans
Well, looks like JuanM1031 rage-quitted. Vote Pro!
Vote Placed by BLAHthedebator 1 year ago
BLAHthedebator
400spartansJuanM1031
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-