wolf24
David.Cameron

Evolution

David.Cameron

wolf24

Con

I believe that God created the universe and Evolution is ridiculous.

1st round post argument
David.Cameron

Pro

Introduction
I would like to thank my opponent for starting this debate and I would like to wish him luck in trying to discredit a scientific theory (more akin to a law in reality) that is supported by modern biology, genetics, embryology, genetics, and--to a lesser extent--even psychology. As I see it, at question is two facets of the debate surrounding evolution--to what extent is evolution a valid scientific theory, and to what extent does creationism better explain biodiversity. I'd like to wish my opponent luck in upholding the latter.

Definitions
A. Evolution
change in the gene pool of a population from generation togeneration by such processes as mutation, natural selection,
and genetic drift.

B. Creationism
the belief that the Universe and living organisms originate "from specific acts of divine creation."

Bacteria -- Eek!
I would begin by directing my opponent's attention toward bacteria. Given the nature of evolution's tenets, it is best observed in species with very short generational cycles. In this regard, bacteria are the perfect example. Bacteria can reproduce and span an entire generation in only a few short weeks. One can see evolution in process when examining the issue of anti-biotic resistance.

When one takes an antibiotic, the drug destroys the deadly bacteria in the human body, but not all of the bacteria get removed. The remaining bacteria, already been contaminated by the antibiotic, become resistant to the drug in a short amount of time. This is due to the fact that those bacteria that are anti-biotic resistant get to proliferate their genes, while the other die off. Eventually, the entire colony is immune. Thus, we see a change in the gene pool of a population from generation togeneration. This is why a doctor will warn you against self-prescribing antibiotics and researchers are constantly trying to develop more potent antibiotics. While the scenario I described is not technically natural selection, it goes a long way in demonstrating how environmental factors can make certain genetic attributes more useful and how environmental factors can facilitate the proliferation of these genetic attributes.

Processes such as the one I have described are taking place constantly in the natural world. Given millions of years, these small genetic changes accumulate into large and noticeable changes (i.e. speciation).

A Quick Note on Creationism
As my opponent has yet to offer an argument supporting the validity of creationism, I'll add quickly this short anecdote. Cats have 90% of homologous genes with humans, 82% with dogs, 80% with cows, 79% with chimpanzees, 69% with rats and 67% with mice. Moreover, DNA code is universal among all living things, with all living species sharing some identical segments of code. If the the Universe and living organisms originate "from specific acts of divine creation," then this creator--who is responsible for all the majesty of the cosmos--got lazy when it came to designing life on earth and worked from the same basic template each time. Which scenario seems more likely? That the genetic similarities between earth's species are the result of their shared common ancestry, or that the grand designer of the universe got lazy when it came to designing life on earth?

Bacteria: http://evolution.berkeley.edu...
Genetic Similarities: http://genome.cshlp.org...;
wolf24

Con

wolf24 forfeited this round.
David.Cameron

Pro

Extend my previous argument. Run>thanks.exe.

David.Cameron

Pro

Extravagance. Finished.
Posted by David.Cameron 2 years ago
David.Cameron
@ben671176 Have you stopped to consider that your lose has nothing to do with the biases of DDOs users and perhaps has more to do with the weaknesses of your arguments? Also, how can anyone dismiss what he has to say as crap -- he hasn't even made an argument yet, just unsubstantiated statements.
Posted by ben671176 2 years ago
ben671176
I have experience, this guy kept claiming Jesus never existed and he based everything I had to say when I used quotes from a Theist Apologist and the debater claimed that guy was a load of crap.
Posted by ben671176 2 years ago
ben671176
wolf24, your screwed.
1. This website is filled with Atheists.
2. They dismiss everything you say for a load of crap.
Posted by Soul.Purge 2 years ago
Soul.Purge
'I believe that God created the universe and Evolution is ridiculous' <<<<<<<<<<<< Makes a claim.
'post argument' <<<<<<<<<<<< Straight away demands you to disprove it

muhahahahahahaha xDDDDDD fallacy in very first words. You are shifting the burden of proof. Its up to YOU to support your claims.

Respect for Pro for making his own case.
Posted by 1Credo 2 years ago
1Credo
In what way does it follow from God creating the universe that evolution is ridiculous?
Vote Placed by rugbypro5 2 years ago
rugbypro5
wolf24David.CameronTied
Reasons for voting decision: wolf24 forfeited his main argument and didn't put anything of significance in his first and last rounds. D.C wins.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
wolf24David.CameronTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit
Vote Placed by NoMagic 2 years ago
NoMagic
wolf24David.CameronTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con made no arguments. Con forfeited a round. Nothing of substance from Con.