Hitler_County
RepublicanForLIfe

Exams should be abolished.

Updated: 1 month ago Status: Post Voting Period

Hitler_County

Con

Why do you think schools have exams? Exams are a series of tests given students to check whether students are constantly recalling what they have learnt in school. Exams should not be abolished as it can be used to enable students to practice the knowledge acquired in lessons, it can serve as a guide to enable teachers to filter those who are much more capable in a certain subject and exams can be used to determine which subjects students are stronger in. Hence, with the many advantages of exams, I strongly agree that exams should not be abolished.
Firstly, exams should not be abolished as it allows students to apply the content they learnt to the questions in exams. For example in the subject of History, students are supposed to read the certified textbooks in order for them to be able to answer exam questions. This evidence shows that exams allow students to use the facts appropriately to answer the exam questions. Moreover, the facts they learnt may be useful and can be applied to daily lives, just like in exams but a change in the context. Thus, exams let students to phrase out the knowledge they studied to the questions.
Secondly, exams should not be abolished as it allows teachers to gather all the better students for that certain subject. For instance in Maths, educators can sort of know who the smarter people are through exams. This shows that exams can actually help teachers to spot the people who are keen in that certain subject. In addition, teachers may assign those smarter people to tutor the weaker students in a bid to improve everyone's results. Therefore, exams can assist the teachers to assemble all the better pupils in the specific subject.
Lastly, exams should not be abolished as it can be used to find out which subjects are the student's strength. For example in the subject if science, some students may be passionate and talented in science so this allows them to develop their interest for science. This emphasises that exams can be served as a tool to extract the concealed talent inside a student and it can help students to "polish" their interest for that subject. Furthermore, when students show deep love and passion for the subject, it may coincidentally be their future career to invest more time on it. Consequently, exams can be used to indicate the strengths of a student for the subjects.
In conclusion, exams should not be abolished as it allows students to apply content knowledge to questions in exams, it supports the teacher in filtering out all the more knowledgeable pupils for a certain subject and exams help students to find out their true interest in the various subjects. With the ample benefits of exams, I strongly agree that exams should not be abolished. After reading this essay, what is your next step for your impression of exams?
RepublicanForLIfe

Pro

I accept the challenge to this debate. I will be debating that Exams should be abolished. Best of luck to my opponent.

Exams are pointless and need to be removed. I will respond to my opponent's points and present my argument directly after each point.

My opponent's first point is: "[...]exams should not be abolished as it allows students to apply the content they learnt to the questions in exams." This is simply not true. Exams aren't needed to prove that we learned something. They aren't needed to show that students learned something. In school courses there are work pages. These are the ones that prove that students have learned something. Exams aren't needed to ask the same questions that were asked in the work pages. Why force a student to basically redo their work pages. If they received a good grade on their work pages then exams aren't needed. If they didn't receive a good grade then they need to redo the lesson, but exams are not necessary to find out the level of knowledge retained. My opponent also stated: "Moreover, the facts they learnt may be useful and can be applied to daily lives, just like in exams but a change in the context." Students don't need exams to learn the facts that are applied to our daily lives. Students learn the facts from reading the lessen and doing the work pages. Exams aren't need to remember the facts, students learned those when they did the lesson. For these reasons exams should be abolished, not kept.

My opponent's second point is: "[...]exams should not be abolished as it allows teachers to gather all the better students for that certain subject." This point is clearly untrue. Teachers can gather the same information that they gather from exams from the students work pages. Exams aren't the number one thing that tells a teacher how a student is doing. The teacher can gage how they're doing from the homework they assigned. This is the same result as it is with the exam. Teachers know grades, they know who is better in the class, then they can have those better kids tutor, if they so desire, and all from the students work pages. Exams only show the same results as work pages; Therefore, they are not needed.

My opponent's third point is "[...] exams should not be abolished as it can be used to find out which subjects are the student's strength." Again, this is all found in the homework. The teacher can completely tell which subject is a student's strongest and which is the weakest. Exams aren't needed for this either. The whole point of homework is to make sure we know it. We don't need exams to do so. My opponent said that "[...] it can help students to "polish" their interest for that subject." If a student is passionate about a subject, they don't need an exam on what they just learned to teach them something new. Instead, if they are truly passionate about it, they will go and do their own study. A student will know which subject they are passionate about they will be able to know if they should follow that path for their career. Homework indicates the strongest and weakest subjects for as student.

In conclusion, since homework already does all the work that an exam does, teachers are able to find out which student is stronger where, and students are able to know their own path, exams should be abolished. Exams are only an extra add on, repeating everything a student did in their homework. For all these reasons exams should be abolished. Thank you.

Posted by jonathansport 1 month ago
jonathansport
I do think that exams are needed up to a certain level. But basing everything on exams is not a great way to go. I've seen a lot of students who are actually pretty good at different things but are never getting a good platform to actually express their talents. And this is because of the fact that almost anything you do requires you to attempt an exam based on it.
For resolving this issue, you have to understand the fact that people are different and therefore different people need different platforms to express their respective talents.
Posted by Hitler_County 1 month ago
Hitler_County
Thank you for that compliment! Love It!😃
Posted by Ehsom 1 month ago
Ehsom
Interesting. I would accept, but I don't think they should be completely abolished and don't have enough points to be pro. Interesting, though. I'll be watching!