Capitalistslave
TheMrHappy

Excise/sales taxes should be illegal

TheMrHappy has forfeited round #2.
Started: 4/9/2017 Category: Economics

Capitalistslave

Pro

I will be arguing for the above resolution. My opponent will argue for the negation of it.

Rules:
1) no ad hominem, personal attacks, insults, be civil
2) The total number of rounds that should be used for argument in this debate is the total you see minus one. This is to keep the total number of argument rounds even between us, since I am not using round 1 for argument.
3) The last round of argument should just be rebuttals/defense and/or conclusions. There should be no new arguments in this round. New information and facts are allowed as long as they are used to rebut your oppoenent's argument or defend your position.

Definition:
According to the IRS "excise taxes are taxes paid when purchases are made on a specific good, such as gasoline."[1]

Source:
[1] https://www.irs.gov...
TheMrHappy

Con

Alright. Accepted.
Capitalistslave

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting.

Now, the reaason Excise and sales taxes should be illegal in my opinion is that it is taxation without representation for many peoplet. Tourists have to pay these taxes when they purchase items here in America, and people under 18 who are working and buy their own things have to as well even though they are not allowed to vote. Why should people who can't even vote for or against these taxes be subject to them?

Taxes should only apply to people who are represented in our government, which taxation without representation was something American founding fathers absolutely opposed. This is one thing I believe the founders were right about.

Additionally, excise and sales taxes tend to affect the poor most, since the poor spend the most percentage of their money, which anyone can confirm with a google search[1]. Since they are the ones who spend the most money, it means these taxes are regressive, in that they tax the poor more than the wealthy and middle classes. I think we all agree it doesn't make sense, nor is it fair, to tax the poor more than the rest of the population.

[1] https://www.google.com...
Posted by GoldFyre 9 months ago
GoldFyre
You're making this whole debate about the truth of that argument. Change it to "sales tax should be illegal" and use that as one of your justifications