samtheman1988
MikeyMike

Existence of God(s)

samtheman1988

Con

The belief in any god is both unnecessary and unjustified. Should anyone feel that they have a reasonable argument as to why anyone should believe in a god(s), please feel free to accept.
MikeyMike

Pro

I accept your challenge, and will defend my religion tooth and nail.
samtheman1988

Con

I wish to thank my opponent for accepting the challenge, and because the burden of proof rests with the side of the pro, please make your case as to why anyone should believe what you believe.
MikeyMike

Pro

My opponent mistakenly thinks that the burden of proof rests with me; the burden of proof lies with he who is asserting a claim.
samtheman1988

Con

I am making no claim except that faith in something you cannot demonstrate to be true is ridiculous. Claiming that a god does in fact require an explanation. I am simply claiming disbelief.

Let's say I were to make the assertion that fairies exist; The burden of proof is therefore upon me to demonstrate my claim through evidence. It is no different in the case of a god(s).
MikeyMike

Pro

"The belief in any god is both unnecessary and unjustified."

My opponent made this claim in his first round, so the burden of proof lies with him. Claiming something does not exist, is still asserting a claim.

My opponent also made each round 4 minutes, which is not even remotely reasonable enough time for an argument to be constructed.

I request that he re posts this debate, challenges me, and makes the voting period at least one month, and the time allowed for response, 3 days.
samtheman1988

Con

The time allotment was to only allow for one's own logic and not outsourcing. It is specific to this debate and should my opponent wish to debate again with a greater amount of time allowed, I accept. However, I do intend to continue this debate and due to the fact that you insist on inappropriately shifting the burden of proof, I will say this for you to defend:

There is no evidence in the existence of God. Care to prove otherwise?
MikeyMike

Pro

MikeyMike forfeited this round.
samtheman1988

Con

samtheman1988 forfeited this round.
MikeyMike

Pro

MikeyMike forfeited this round.
Posted by MikeyMike 4 years ago
MikeyMike
You didn't make a claim that a God existed, but you DID make a claim, and as such, the burden of proof rested on you to support that claim.

Make the debate time 3 days, and the voting period 1 month please
Posted by samtheman1988 4 years ago
samtheman1988
Very well. What would you prefer for debate time?
Posted by samtheman1988 4 years ago
samtheman1988
Let it be noted that my opponent accepted the parameters of the debate when accepting the challenge. Furthermore, I made no claim stating that a god or gods did not exist. I simply stated that to believe in a god when you cannot justify that belief is absurd.
Posted by MikeyMike 4 years ago
MikeyMike
Not enough time for a constructive argument. Re-do the debate please.