GID
voxcaussae

Existence of God

voxcaussae

GID

Con

Do you believe in science? Do you believe in God? If so which one? Would you believe in that God if you had been born in a foreign country? What makes you so certain your God, religion or holy book is the right one? How did you gain this knowledge? What evidence do you have to back up your beliefs? When I answered these questions honestly I began to see how my beliefs would be very different depending on my living situation and cultural and social influences. That my established ideals were those of others and not my own. I feel that if people will ask themselves the same questions they will cone to the same conclusion as I did; namely that God doesn't exist and that we are here because of evolution.
voxcaussae

Pro

First off, I do not firmly believe in nor do I firmly refute the existence of a higher power. I am here to debate on the thesis that it is impossible to prove or disprove a higher power, and to explain how science is essentially no better than a religion believing in a god. As a former Christian, I believe I have a firm understanding of the bible, and why so many choose to follow its teachings. However, I have turned away from holy books to form my own opinions and understanding of the world. I will begin my counter argument with the following question; If you are so eager to denounce the existence of a widely-accepted higher-power, centered around a book written by hundreds of people with first-hand accounts of a higher power, what makes science,
a collection of thousands of people's first-hand accounts, any more legitimate?
GID

Con

GID forfeited this round.
voxcaussae

Pro

I see. I suppose you agree with me?
GID

Con

GID forfeited this round.
voxcaussae

Pro

Thank you for the debate, remember to vote pro.
Posted by voxcaussae 1 year ago
voxcaussae
I agree drag, I'm sure it'd be interesting
Posted by drag0vien 1 year ago
drag0vien
Yes, it is all made up. You can test what science has made up though. "How are we so sure that anything and everything exists?" We aren't. If you want to discuss that, start a new debate as it is a tad off topic to this one. "Neither one can be proven or disproven." Only one can be tested. "What we see with our eyes holds no more value that what we see with our hearts and minds" No.
Posted by voxcaussae 1 year ago
voxcaussae
But it is all made up, just like religion is. How are we so sure that anything and everything exists? Science tries to explain everything using physical evidence, while religion leans toward spiritual evidence. Neither one can be proven or disproven. What we see with our eyes holds no more value that what we see with our hearts and minds, and that is what I am trying to say here.
Posted by drag0vien 1 year ago
drag0vien
"what makes science, a collection of thousands of people's first-hand accounts, any more legitimate?" The fact that you can test what science says? Science is not first-hand accounts, that is not science. Science is observation and experimentation. You cannot go and test what the bible says. Just like you cannot test my claim that I saw an alien. You can test my claim that gravity causes objects in free fall to accelerate at 9.8ms^-2.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
GIDvoxcaussaeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ff