Tminusfour20
Commondebator

Existence of Mermaids

Commondebator

Tminusfour20

Pro

We are continuing our debate on the existence of mermaids based on knowledge of our evolutionary history.

How can you assert the things previously stated as just myth but not think Noah's ark is a myth or that God turns women into salt and ribs into women isn't total BS?

http://pubs.usgs.gov...

This website is one of thousands of scholarly articles published around the world that states the age of the earth as a fact at 4.5 billion years old. Since neither of us know that creation went exactly how the bible said it did ( men made from dust and all) I at least know that the earth has been around for 4.5 billion years. I also know that species can change over time. Ultimately you have to assume that the human race has been around for 4.5 billion years looking exactly the same.

As far as half humans and half monkeys go, where are the half lions/half jaguars ? they are both cats? There was an ancient cat hundreds of thousands of years ago half of this group of cats went to the jungle the other half stayed in the dry plains and you end up with two species of cats. Neanderthals also existed as a separate species of human and would share the same type of lion/tiger relationship with us. This is better explained in the link below

http://evolution.berkeley.edu...

Ultimately speaking, there are marine mammals that exist only because mammals evolved to live on land. Marine mammals have lungs, have no body hair, have an even layer of fat across their body. They are able to hold their breath under water for long periods of time. They have webbing and they also have to come up for air and do not produce external eggs. These creatures started out in land and moved to the water and thats a fact. Knowing that we have a lot of these similar traits and we are one of the most water prone land mammals out there. I don't think it is unreasonable to beleive that somewhere along our history a group of our ancestors began to venture out into the water for a better chance of survival.
For all other sources on facts I have stated go on wikipedia and see for yourself. Don't like wikipedia or trust it? look at the references section on each wikipedia entry to get to the scholarly article they used to confirm their statements.
Commondebator

Con

Alrighty.

I accept, and currently the BOP is on Pro to show viable evidence for mermaids.

Good luck...
Tminusfour20

Pro

Tminusfour20 forfeited this round.
Commondebator

Con

Commondebator forfeited this round.
Tminusfour20

Pro

Tminusfour20 forfeited this round.
Tminusfour20

Pro

Tminusfour20 forfeited this round.
Commondebator

Con

The antonymy is different, the fish antonymy is not compatible that of a humans.

There, I fulfilled my BOP
Posted by Commondebator 2 years ago
Commondebator
Why thank you for asking sir

However, Ill take a stab at it
Posted by Tminusfour20 2 years ago
Tminusfour20
I see your point. I probably should have been more specific I just used the term mermaid because it's better known than aquatic ape. I can edit and re-open for debate if you like.
Posted by Commondebator 2 years ago
Commondebator
Actually, the definition of mermaid is

"a fictitious or mythical half-human sea creature with the head and trunk of a woman and the tail of a fish, conventionally depicted as beautiful and with long flowing golden hair."

By definition, mermaids are fake. Adding any more definitions would be unfair right?

Like, I accepted this debate into thinking the exact definition of mermaids. Elaborating your stance and saying "Oh no, this is what I though" Would be unfair.
Posted by Tminusfour20 2 years ago
Tminusfour20
By mermaids I mean ape like sea mammals. Or apes that diverged from our evolutionary lineage and became quatic apes or what we know as mermaids. I will elaborate my stance as soon as I get to a computer.
Posted by Commondebator 2 years ago
Commondebator
plus ill bring up other stuff and evidence and all those debatey things
Posted by Commondebator 2 years ago
Commondebator
Apparently mermaids are half man half fish correct? They cannot possibly survive in the icy waters, evolution does not work that way, and the human anatomy and fish anatomy are completely different. They cannot ever be the same, and humans need lungs, therefore they cannot be compatible with gills.

"Documents" really cannot deny biology
Posted by Envisage 2 years ago
Envisage
This debate is a truism. Mermaids are well documented.

http://www.india.com...
Posted by Tminusfour20 2 years ago
Tminusfour20
Awesome I'll hold you to that.
Posted by BoggyB 2 years ago
BoggyB
Tminus420, ill debate you on your opening argument if Con doesn't.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 2 years ago
16kadams
Tminusfour20CommondebatorTied