debateman00
FrancesR

Existence of Santa

debateman00

debateman00

Pro

Just a debate for fun.

Rules:
No swearing
Don't bother with sources
Have fun
FrancesR

Con

My view on Santa Claus

When I was younger, I believed in Santa, but now, I know better. Santa Claus is simply a ruse to get kids to be good, because if they are bad they will get "nothing but coal" from Santa. This is not only a lie but it has transformed Christmas from the celebration of Jesus' birth to the obsessive rush for presents. Children are spoiled, and bad parents give them everything they want. Self centered children find presents more important then the birth of Jesus. This is wrong.
debateman00

Pro

I respect and, at least to an extent, agree with your argument. I am also a Christian. However, your argument has no bearing at all on the question, which is whether or not Santa exists. I believe that Santa exists. Not as a physical being, but as a concept. Historical records show that there most likely was a man who did what is attributed to Santa, bringing gifts to children. This has no bearing on his continued existence. I believe he exists because the concept of Santa Claus still shaped the actions of people. It lets parents have some holiday fun with their children, and also supplies them with a method to get children to behave.
FrancesR

Con

I believe Santa, as a concept, has corrupted society. There was in fact a man who founded the idea of Santa, St. Nicholas, who gave gold from his own pocket to those who needed it. He also donated countless amounts of silver an gold to his church, which he later became the priest in. I believe Santa does contribute to the Christmas spirit of giving to those who need it, but the idea of him has also amplified the complete rush for toys, which has gone from a few menial gifts to show appreciation, to a full on war for the best toys.

Different people believe in different things, but the Idea of a fat man in a big red suit, landing his flying reindeer on roofs, squeezing down chimneys, and giving toys to people from his never ending sack of toys, while eating cookies, is just ridiculous. Though it does contribute to holiday fun, it also contributes to overeating, and Christmas-related accidents, such as children getting stuck in their chimneys, men in Santa suits getting drunk and thinking they are actually Santa, thefts and burglaries, and angry mall-Santas turning down children with mental issues.
debateman00

Pro

Some of this is true, though I have never heard of a child getting stuck in a chimney. However, you still have not addressed the question, which is whether or not Santa exists today, here and now. I don't have anything to add to my previous argument, as you have still not refuted a single one of my points. (Incidentally, this is America. People don't need Santa to overeat.) Just a mildly personal question, are you Catholic or Orthodox? I find that people from these denominations are generally more opposed to the secular side of Christmas.
FrancesR

Con

FrancesR forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Chrysippus 2 years ago
Chrysippus
debateman00FrancesRTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con concedes Pro's (rather underhanded) argument - Santa the concept exists, although the person does not currently exist. Bit of a bait-and-switch there, Pro; bad form. Con then forfeits his last round. Arguments to Pro for concession.