bubbatheclown
wolfassasin347

Exotheology

bubbatheclown

bubbatheclown

Pro

ONLY ACCEPT IF YOU KNOW WHAT EXO-THEOLOGY IS!!

My opponent, whenever he or she accepts, should be arguing that the undisputable discovery of alien life (you may choose from sentient and/or non-sentient) will make all human religious movements obsolete.
Let's share burden of proof, and my opponent may post on his/her first round.
wolfassasin347

Con

I would firstly like to say that since my opponent has only given a couple of sentences I will do the same. I would first like to say that the bible points out that god created us for the sole purpose that we are his only intelligent creation. This then would show us that the Christian religion believes that we are the only one of gods creation so if alien life were to be found this would disprove that and make that obsolete.
bubbatheclown

Pro

I was hoping my opponent would do a little better than that, but thank you for accepting this debate nevertheless.

Before we continue, could you cite specific Bible verses stating that human beings are the only sentient creations?
wolfassasin347

Con

The Bible, the revealed written Word of God, teaches that life is only possible through a process of creation. Even if there were other galaxies with planets very similar to earth, life could only be there if the Creator had fashioned it. If God had done that, and if these beings were going to visit us one day, then He would surely not have left us unenlightened about this.
God has given us rather specific details of the future"for example, the return of Jesus, and some details about the end of the world. The universe will, at some future point, be rolled up like a scroll (Isaiah 34:4, Revelation 6:14). If God had created living beings elsewhere, this would automatically destroy their dwelling place as well. Adam"s sin caused all of creation to be affected by the curse, so why would a race of beings, not of Adam"s (sinful) seed, have their part of creation affected by the Curse, and then be part of the restoration brought about by Christ, the last Adam? All of this would seem exceedingly strange.
The purpose of the stars.
The reasons stars were made are given to us in several places in the Bible, not only in the well-known Psalm 19 but especially in the Creation account. In Genesis 1:14 we read: "And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years."
We see from this that stars are there for mankind on earth. Add to this the sequence of creation (on the first day the earth, and only on the fourth day all of the stars), and it is easy to see the thrust of the biblical testimony, that the purpose of creation is uniquely centred on this earth.
bubbatheclown

Pro

"The Bible, the revealed written Word of God, teaches that life is only possible through a process of creation. Even if there were other galaxies with planets very similar to earth, life could only be there if the Creator had fashioned it."

I agree.

"If God had done that, and if these beings were going to visit us one day, then He would surely not have left us unenlightened about this."

There's plenty of things not mentioned in the Bible, such as the existence of Native Americans. Yet we encountered them, and they're equally human as everybody else.
Also, perhaps the existence of aliens may be something that we'd only find out about in Heaven.

"God has given us rather specific details of the future"for example, the return of Jesus, and some details about the end of the world. The universe will, at some future point, be rolled up like a scroll (Isaiah 34:4, Revelation 6:14). If God had created living beings elsewhere, this would automatically destroy their dwelling place as well. Adam"s sin caused all of creation to be affected by the curse, so why would a race of beings, not of Adam"s (sinful) seed, have their part of creation affected by the Curse, and then be part of the restoration brought about by Christ, the last Adam? All of this would seem exceedingly strange."

Perhaps aliens also sinned. Or perhaps they were affected unfairly by Adam's (and Eve's) sin and they became corrupted by it. I mean, we didn't eat the Fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, yet we're affected by the curse. Why would aliens be different in this respect?
The good news is, if aliens exist and have souls, they too can be saved from their sins by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

"The reasons stars were made are given to us in several places in the Bible, not only in the well-known Psalm 19 but especially in the Creation account. In Genesis 1:14 we read: 'And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years.' "

Flowers have a specific purpose (the production of oxygen) and yet they provide beauty to our world. Stars also could provide a dual purpose: to provide life for aliens and to give us starlight.
Also, if the only purpose of stars were to provide light, why not just put a lot of shiny things in orbit of Earth? And there are also many stars which we cannot see with the naked eye. What are their purpose then?

As for the Earth, don't forget that the Bible said "In the Beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth." Notice how it said "Heavens" first. This could refer to the sky, the literal Heaven...or the Universe. Also, when God first created the Earth it was an empty void. Perhaps during this time God was creating all the other parts of the Universe.

My opponent has struck out. I'd advise him to pick another major world religion which he thinks would be proven false by the confirmed existence of alien life.
wolfassasin347

Con

wolfassasin347 forfeited this round.
Posted by Sagey 2 years ago
Sagey
Actually more than one God created the world as Elohim is plural (Gods), so if there are extra-terrestrials, likely they have one of the other Gods with them, likely not a Psychopathic, Malevolent, Narcissistic Megalomaniac, like the Bible God.
They probably got themselves a Benevolent God.
Lucky Sods!
Posted by bubbatheclown 2 years ago
bubbatheclown
All right then, how about Christianity or Islam? Anyhow, Con gets to pick the religion.
Posted by Dwint 2 years ago
Dwint
you can actually win this debate very easy if you talk about buddhism, because their teachings would still be valid in that situation.
Posted by johnlubba 2 years ago
johnlubba
Then that would be easy, seeing as most religions I know of speak of beings not from earth.

I'll let someone else take this, thanks anyway. :)
Posted by bubbatheclown 2 years ago
bubbatheclown
Actually, since you're con, you'd have to show that religion would be proven false by the confirmation of alien existence. However, if you want, I can switch this around and make myself Con.
Posted by johnlubba 2 years ago
johnlubba
Si if aliens were proven to exist, I have to show that religion is still viable.

Correct?
Posted by bubbatheclown 2 years ago
bubbatheclown
However, I will allow my opponent to argue that it makes only a single human religion obsolete. If he or she does so, please pick a religious movement that is around today, and not something like Egyptian Mythology.
Posted by bubbatheclown 2 years ago
bubbatheclown
If it were confirmed that we are not alone in the cosmos, if we were visited by aliens, would that prove that human religions (Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Sikhism, Buddhism, Mormonism etc.) are false? Would it only prove one or two religions wrong?
You get what I'm talking about, right? If not, Google "Exotheology."
Posted by johnlubba 2 years ago
johnlubba
Please clarify
Vote Placed by Sagey 2 years ago
Sagey
bubbatheclownwolfassasin347Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's argument was very weak indeed, making nothing but assertions and assumptions is not any form of convincing argument, Pro had very little to do but continue on with putting forward Pro's case, rebuttals really weren't required against such weak attempts by Con.