live_laugh_love
ben98

Experimenting on Animals for Cosmetics/Cleaning Products

live_laugh_love

Con

I am against testing cosmetics/cleaning products on animals because it is cruel to animals and is not fair to them. If the product contains to much of a harmful substance it may kill or severely hurt an animal. However I do approve of testing medicines on animals that will treat cancer, other diseases and illnesses but I do NOT approve of testing cosmetics/cleaning products on animals. How would like to be an innocent animal who is kept in a tiny cage in a laboratory having things injected into you? Then getting severely injured and hurt because that cosmetic product was not quite right? Nobody would want to be in that animals position. I have seen pictures of rabbits, rats and other animals with large burns, sores, lost fur and absolutely terrified of what will happen to them and in pain. They do not test cosmetics/cleaning products on animals as much in the U.K. but in America it is STILL legal.

Even though it is hard to believe, animal experiments for cosmetics continue even though non-animal tests are widely available. Instead of measuring how long it takes a chemical to burn away the cornea of a rabbit"s eye, manufacturers can now drop that chemical onto cornea-like 3-D tissue structures produced from human cells. Likewise, human skin cultures can be grown and purchased for skin irritation testing. These and dozens more tests now in use today are faster and more accurate at predicting human reactions to a product than the old animal tests ever were. However, huge multiproduct manufacturer companies of cosmetics/claning products (although animal tests have not proved effective in a company"s defense when a consumer sues) and, inexplicably, frozen by inertia"continue to poison, burn, and blind animals in tests.

This reluctance to stop experimenting cosmetics/cleaning products on animals is especially unforgivable considering the current wide availability of superior non-animal tests. Instead of measuring how long it takes a chemical to burn away the cornea of a rabbit"s eye, manufacturers can now drop that chemical onto donated human corneas. Human skin can be grown and ordered for irritancy testing. So it is getting better but it is still happening in the U.S.A.

Just to let you know I am not some animal-rights person, I eat meat but I don't approve of foxhunting, killing animals for their skin or anything like that. This is just a topic that needs to be debated properly. Please can somebody accept as I would like to debate with them about this matter whether they are actually for it or not! Thank you, please accept!!
ben98

Pro

Many cosmetics and other agents that we put on our bodies for one reason or another contain various types of organic chemicals that can cause cancer. Even sunscreen which is supposed to protect use from you from skin cancer can cause cancer. Also, we need to know what happens if one was to ingest, inhale, or splash the product into the eye, what will happen, acutely and after longterm, chronic exposure to the product.Another important reason to use animals is to establish the lethal dose, defined as LD50, this is the minimum dose of a particular agent required to kill 50% of the test animal involved. Although its is specie specific, it can be extrapolated to humans from animal models. It is often impossible to predict these health risks without doing intense animal experimentation, or would you rather volunteer for the test, without knowing any of the acute and chronic health affects? I sure wouldn't. How can you put something on or into your body without first having at least some knowledge of its potential health effects?
live_laugh_love

Con

Thank you for joining the debate ben98, you posted a good argument.

Firstly, I would like to debate your argument I know that some cosmetics/cleaning products can be harmful and cause various types of cancer, however I know they should be tasted to make sure they are safe for us to use but why do we have to test them on animals who will suffer the the effect of the product themselves. Aren't animals meant to be equal to us?? Most people don't care about rats, mice and other creatures being experimented on but they only kick up a fuss about it when it is on little bunnies or other cute animals. Please type in "lab animals" into google images and look down the page. you will see horrifying pictures of terrified animals having substances injected into them or poor animals with burns or severe injuries caused by testing cosmetics/cleaning products on them. I know these tests are important to check these everyday products are safe. I know the lethal test is vital, for people's safety.

My argument is why can't people buy natural skincare and makeup products like Liz Earle and the Natural collection Products. The benefits of this are that the horrible chemicals in the products that are tested on animals are not going into people's bodies and that it would mean experimenting on animals would be stopped as the Natural Products do not contain any harmful chemicals.

My family buys natural cleaning products as well and they work just as well as the chemical based ones. so why buy cleaning products with nasty harmful chemicals in them that have been tested on animals when you can buy natural products free of chemicals!!

Unfortunately, the majority of innocent animals in laboratories die as they have had a huge amount of harmful chemicals pumped into them!! People need to think about the animals feelings and how they feel by being experimented on so people can wear make-up and clean there house and slowly dying because they are being pumped full of chemicals until they die . People need to stop being so self-centered, open their eyes ,look at the world around them and improve it and treat every living being as they would like to be treated; with respect and dignity.
ben98

Pro

ben98 forfeited this round.
live_laugh_love

Con

live_laugh_love forfeited this round.
ben98

Pro

ben98 forfeited this round.
Posted by live_laugh_love 3 years ago
live_laugh_love
Thank you kbub that is very nice of you !! THANK YOU
Posted by icebob99 3 years ago
icebob99
If this is a moral debate, and morality is defined as the universal code of conduct that determines whether actions are right or wrong, then the con side is the only side that can argue reasonably. This resolution is therefore not debatable. Also, the resolution has not determined whether or not experimenting on animals for cosmetic development is good, so we have nothing to debate upon. With respect to the instigator, I suggest you find a new resolution, as this is not debatable.
Posted by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
Good for you! This is an excellent debate subject, and I'm sure you picked the moral side.