polticialwiz
Spritle

Extending the School Year from 180 days to 210 days

Spritle

polticialwiz

Pro

I am a High school Senior, who believes that the school days ought to be extended by 20-30 days. As we speak, I currently attend school for 180 days per year, with a mandatory 180 days attendance needed to pass to advance tot he next grade.

However I have notice over the past serveral years that teachersre force to rush through lesson plans each school yera to prepare students for standardized tests and Common-End-of-Course-Exams. As a result many students have struggled to keep up with these lessons plans either because their missed school, or (like me) it takes them a little longer to comprehened a lesson. How do school officials expect students to succeed if the teachers are force to "breeze" through lesson plans each school year.

Extending the school year would allow students to have extra time to comprehened lesson plans and expand their knowledge at a normal educational rate, rather than having to worry about falling behind or ECT.
Spritle

Con

I accept my opponent's debate and wish him good luck!

First, let me start off by saying that I am against extending the school year in any way shape or form.

Argument

1. Burnt out students and teachers: Extending the school year will completely burn out students as well as teachers. Imagine having to sit through classes an extra month? Teachers have families and lives to attend to. With the school year extended their home life is cut short. They may need to hire babysitters for kids, cancel summer courses they are going to school for, etc. Teachers look forward to summer just as much as kids too. It's a break from work. Eventually teachers are going to become so tired and burnt out that their teaching abilities will be rendered.

The students, on the other hand, will DREAD school more than ever. With there being an extra month or so of school kids will become so horribly bored that they won't even learn or pay attention. Kids need time to grow up and be kids and take a break from school. They deserve to spend time with their families and have fun! Having fun is part of growing up. If we extend school days then our kids will never be able to actually be a kid. According to Stuart Brown's study in Scientific American, "a lack of opportunities for unstructured, imaginative play can keep children from growing into happy, well-adjusted adults. 'Free play,' as scientists call it, is critical for becoming socially adept, coping with stress and building cognitive skills such as problem solving. Research into animal behavior confirms "plays" benefits and establishes its evolutionary importance: ultimately, play may provide animals (including humans) with skills that will help them survive and reproduce." [5]

2. Limited family vacations and extra curricular activities: With students and teachers having to be at schools longer during the summer there will be less time to enjoy with their families and friends. Summer breaks are very important parts of growing up. Camps, parties, summer jobs, sports, and summer activities help students develop and improve lifelong people skills.

3. The cost would be immense: One of the biggest problems in the financial situation that would occur if we extended school days. Educating students already costs a fortune. Extending the school year would cause more problems than solve any. The longer school year would require paying teachers and staff for the extra time, in addition to the cost of maintaining school buildings and school grounds. Altogether, spending on all elementary and secondary education topped more than $500 billion in 2003-04 [6]. This is a HUGE amount of money for education. Imagine how much this would increase if we extended the school year!

In conclusion, extending the school year is a horrible idea. Not only will students become very bored of learning but teachers will be burnt out on teaching! Therefore, it would reduce education. Also, the cost is much more than we can afford at the moment. Basically, the extended school year would have negative effects on our students, teachers, education, and our budgets and spendings. PLUS, tax payers would have to pay more for educational services.

[1] http://www.saratogafalcon.org...
[2] http://blog.cleveland.com...
[3] http://mdeducator81.wordpress.com...
[4] http://www.relnei.org...
[5] http://www.scientificamerican.com...
[6] http://www.humanevents.com...
polticialwiz

Pro

I welcome my opponents Views. However there has been a study conducted a number of times that have shown a high number of teacher who have rise in favor of extending the school year. Regardless of whether family vactions would be limited or not, its about whether we as students, are reciving a equal education in an eual enough time during the year.

About the extracricular activies, my argument would not limit or end the activies, it would simply allow schools to find extra times for sports and after school events.

I am be the only one with this view, but I feel that my ability to learna nd gain knowledge is limited because of the little time I have to recieve an education.

If the school year will not be extend then I am proposing that school hours are extend by 90-100 minutes per day. Especially if these budget cuts cause schools to be limited to 4 days per week.

I hope that viewers will view both this argument and the sneak-peak argument I am proposing if we can't extend the school year.
Spritle

Con

For my rebuttals I shall address the following points from the Pro's argument:

1. "...there has been a study conducted a number of times that have shown a high number of teacher who have rise in favor of extending the school year." - Where is this study? What did it show? You show no proof of this study at all, therefore, what you stated was irrelevant and non-convincing.

2. My opponent states that students need to be "...reciving a equal education in an eual enough time during the year." The only thing I can really say about this is maybe you need more time because your spelling is horrific.

3. Students nowadays go to school and then directly after report to sports or extracuricular activites. Most kids don't get home until late (7-9pm). If we extend the school days then kids would be getting home later and having less time for HOMEWORK and family time. Plus, those kids who do complete their homework will be up well past their bedtime. This would drastically decrease their sleep at night. Lack of sleep affects learning.

4. "I am be the only one with this view, but I feel that my ability to learna nd gain knowledge is limited because of the little time I have to recieve an education." - Your personal view and opinion of your own education is irrelevant.

5. "If the school year will not be extend then I am proposing that school hours are extend by 90-100 minutes per day." You added a new argument. Your topic was extending the school YEAR not the day's length. Therefore, the voters should disregard this "argument" if you may call it that.

In conclusion, my opponent has made a dispicable attempt to counter my argument. I was expecting a great debate but it seems that my opponent lacks spelling and any form of counter argument.

My God has mercy on his soul.

Vote Con
polticialwiz

Pro

First of all my opponent obviously does not care about schoola nd would rather be hanging out with friends. I on the ther hand would and do care about my education. At least I want to be successful in life. On the other hand I am unsure whether my opponent wants to be successful or not.

Secondluy I ahve the proof about the studey conducted. I may not have posted it in my rebuttle, but I most certaily have the proof. If my opponent would take a moment to ask teachers instead of coming on here and attacking me like I committed a crime, then he would see that although I may not have strong arguments for extending the school year, I am and have stated possible acceptable arguments that members of Congress would use during a debate about extending the school year.

My opponent may not like this idea, but that is because he is a typical student, who would much rather be at home playing video games than get a decent education.

Whether my opponent likes it or not, my Congressm and senator have taken my proposal to washington, and members of Congress and Secretary Duncan are very interested.
Spritle

Con

I thank my opponent for his delightful insight on my life.

Making me look dumb doesn't change the fact that his argument completely decimated any chances of him winning. Also, his spelling still is terrible.

I am so sorry for all you voters who have to read this horrible excuse for a debate.

Vote Con.
Posted by Lydiaa 2 years ago
Lydiaa
v Those are my thoughts on extending the school year xD
Posted by Lydiaa 2 years ago
Lydiaa
so extending the school year really wouldn"t be smart. It would just drag out lessons that could be done over the course of one to two days. It doesn"t need to be a week or two long, thank you.

""I am be the only one with this view, but I feel that my ability to learna nd gain knowledge is limited because of the little time I have to recieve an education." - Your personal view and opinion of your own education is irrelevant." (" Spritle from http://www.debate.org...) Spritle is right here. I don"t mean to sound rude, but it"s true. The whole "we should lengthen the school year for MY own knowledge gaining." is selfish and irrelevant. If polticialwiz wanted his knowledge gaining to be lengthened, why doesn"t he go to summer school?

I hope that my point here is proven; Social life beats down on learning, it"s way too expensive, people have lives outside of school and sometimes need a break. That"s what we have summer break for, and it DOESN"T need to be shortened. Some schools don"t have the money for those extra curricular activities which would really be the only thing left to do in the extra school days after that year"s courses are done. And school gets in the way of learning. Kids don"t care much about what they teach in school, and if anything, the school year should be shortened, not made longer. If you want more education, go to college and summer school.
Posted by Lydiaa 2 years ago
Lydiaa
sick of learning stupid stuff they don"t even care about, and they want to drive their head against a hard stone slab. And the staff at school wonder why there"s a bunch of delinquents everywhere not listening in class. They wonder why they get in detention all the time and stuff like that, but they don"t understand that kids need a break from constant learning in ways they don"t like. Everyone learns differently, and everyone needs to learn in their own way. Instead of be stuck in a class room with other kids all around them, where they feel as though they"re just waiting for the public humiliation pounce, kids should be able to learn what they want to learn about, and lengthening the school year doesn"t help. The government wants kids to learn? Don"t lengthen the school year! Simple!

Now, some people say the school year SHOULD be lengthened because, "I have notice over the past serveral years that teachersre force to rush through lesson plans each school yera to prepare students for standardized tests and Common-End-of-Course-Exams. As a result many students have struggled to keep up with these lessons plans either because their missed school, or (like me) it takes them a little longer to comprehened a lesson. How do school officials expect students to succeed if the teachers are force to "breeze" through lesson plans each school year." " polticialwiz from http://www.debate.org.... And maybe it should be lengthened. Look at that horrendous spelling and grammar. No offence. But, polticialwiz can learn more through the internet. Like his username is polticialwiz, he could use the internet to learn more about politics (if I"m understanding his username correctly.) or whatever he wants to learn about. But, the thing wrong with his idea about teachers rushing through lessons, is they don"t rush through lessons, ever. In class, teachers will help their students understand it if they don"t, so extending the
Posted by Lydiaa 2 years ago
Lydiaa
And rich city kids, although the stereotypical popular rich kid is rude and mean and thinks she/he is better than everyone, isn"t right. There are bullies in school, yes, but those rich city kids have lives too, like maybe they have a high-society tea event that they have to train for, or something? People have lives outside of school, government.

With the kids having lives, some school can"t swing the costs of extra curricular activities. Some of us aren"t rich boarding schools with all the extra curricular activities like horse back riding, creative writing, photography, art, need I say more? To be honest, some schools don"t have the money to spend extra hours in school and in the school year. Because those hours would probably be spent doing extra curricular activities, and after they finish all the other math and main course things, they"ll be sitting around doing nothing when they could be continuing with their own lives instead of the government wanting the school years to be longer and congress" other stupid ideas.

This might come as a surprise, but school gets in the way of learning. It does. Truly, it does. What they teach school, often, kids don"t care. And teachers wonder why the class won"t listen. It"s because they don"t care. Kids are curious, and want to learn about stuff they"re curious about, and care about. Not sitting in class, staring at the board uselessly while the teacher rambles on about some random math or English stuff they don"t even understand unless they"re a huge whiz at it. We have the internet for a reason. It"s not just there for kids to waste time on social networking " which is a thing you can do on the internet, but kids can look stuff up. They can learn about engineering, writing, how-to-do things, anything, really. But when they"re locked up in school for six hours straight with no breaks (in high school and junior high, anyway.), they get bored, sick of learning stupid stuff they don"t even care about, and they want to
Posted by Lydiaa 2 years ago
Lydiaa
Some people say the school year should be longer. To be honest, it should be shortened. Think about it. Kids have lives outside of school, bullies and social life and where kids are in the social sea worries them, its expensive, and some schools aren"t rich, preppy city schools where they have the money for extra curricular activities.

Social life. Most girls every morning get up early to do make-up, hair, and make sure they look nice so the harsh utter abyss of rude dorks who poke holes in happy buckets just to make themselves feel better don"t pick on them. And boys wake up every day to maintain a cool status, just as girls wake up to worry about staying popular and wanted. And getting distracted by notes in class from friends, worrying about maybe a fight with their best friends, getting their nails painted, or getting their ears pierced, or a food fight at lunch? Kids don"t need to deal with social life longer than they have to.

School is also expensive. With the whole social life thing, girls will be asking their parents for their credit cards to go shopping at the mall to get designer clothing and new hair supplies and nail-polish. And guys what with whatever they need with their guy stuff. Then the school charges the parents as well for fees, their children being tardy and absent, and the cost to get into the school. With longer school years, the parents are going to be so far in the hole they won"t be able to pay for a family vacation, or even the next year"s school year!

As a side note to that, kids have lives outside of school. Like those kids who live on the farms. Even with school, they still have to help out on the farm. And if the school year gets longer, they"ll have less time to help their parents on the farm and help out in the family. And rich city kids, although the stereotypical popular rich kid is rude and mean and thinks she/he is better than everyone, isn"t right. There are bullies in school, yes, but those rich city kids have li
Posted by amycazzzzz 5 years ago
amycazzzzz
I agree to disagree (no offense) I think it should be 200 days.
Posted by Daax 5 years ago
Daax
The personal attack was unnecessary, yes there were spelling mistakes though you should have simply explained that the opposing party did not provide proof or acknowledge your counter.

Con however did provide substantial evidence for his side, therefore he would have received my vote.
Posted by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
I didn't see this debate until now. With some many high school students on the site, I doubt if anyone could win Pro on "Students should show up for school at least once in a while." Part of the antipathy for school derives from the wrong educational goal of focusing on bringing poor students up to average. If good students were really challenged and poor academic students allowed alternatives like vocational apprenticeship, school would be a happier and more productive place.

The best school systems have longer school years. Japan has five weeks of summer vacation, for example. Most of the Far East features private "cram schools" after regular school every day for college bound students. Teachers are already paid for working the whole year, and schools are kept open for make up classes in summer school, so the economic impact would not be too great. It would be well worth it if education were actually accomplished.
Posted by Spritle 5 years ago
Spritle
I think I'm going to challenge him to a debate. And I want to win with 100 points.

Blackvoid, that picture made me laugh so hard.
Posted by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Oh, no! I really wanted squirtle to have the 100 points :(
Vote Placed by Lordknukle 5 years ago
Lordknukle
polticialwizSpritleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's argument was awful.
Vote Placed by XiaoFei98 5 years ago
XiaoFei98
polticialwizSpritleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con has good points.
Vote Placed by drafterman 5 years ago
drafterman
polticialwizSpritleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Simply stating that something would be better for you and, therefore, everyone should do it, is not a debate. There was almost no support for anything Pro said.
Vote Placed by BlackVoid 5 years ago
BlackVoid
polticialwizSpritleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ad hom, poor spelling, no warrants, etc.
Vote Placed by PartamRuhem 5 years ago
PartamRuhem
polticialwizSpritleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro just made one of the worst debates in history. Spritle, you gotta be more careful about the debates you accept haha. GUYS! They are taking Pro's case to Washington!! We are all DOOMED!
Vote Placed by jm_notguilty 5 years ago
jm_notguilty
polticialwizSpritleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Minus one month of summer vaca? Eww. But seriously, PRO never really made a persuasive argument, he didn't even cite the studies supporting his claims, he loses conduct for the offending remark to CON, and I found his arguments a bit hard to read, tbh, ergo, he loses SG.
Vote Placed by davidhancock 5 years ago
davidhancock
polticialwizSpritleTied
Reasons for voting decision: all i can say is shove it where the sun dont shine pro
Vote Placed by BennyW 5 years ago
BennyW
polticialwizSpritleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro cited no sources just made assertions, con's objections were not addressed and Pro issued attacks against him.
Vote Placed by Man-is-good 5 years ago
Man-is-good
polticialwizSpritleTied
Reasons for voting decision: "First of all my opponent obviously does not care about schoola nd would rather be hanging out with friends." Sorry, but first of all, it looks like Pro will be loosing. Both sides insulted each other, but Pro's decision to offer "insights" into Con's persona proved the final straw...Refusing to offer evidence or to speak correct English, Pro appears to be the least likely person who'd want to attend school, less an English class, for 210 days...
Vote Placed by seraine 5 years ago
seraine
polticialwizSpritleTied
Reasons for voting decision: A justified votebomb. See F-16's vote.